"Puck Luck"

BobCole

May 21, 2014
The "Deserve to Win O'Meter" is a website that simulates each game 1,000 times based on shots, chances, etc.

According to this data, the Pens expected record this season is 14-4-0, and their record in actuality is 9-9-0.

Of games the Pens "deserved" to win, they have won only 6 of 14. Last season, their expected record was 46-36; their actual record was 40-42.

I don't know what to do with this this formation, but that's it.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
well it happens too frequently to the Pens, and rarely in the opposite direction where we’re the ones who undeservedly win a game, that it can’t be “puck luck”…puck luck suggests a random occurrence…this is not random.,.this is a team trying to score goals in a way that’s not conducive to scoring for their personnel

BobCole

May 21, 2014
well it happens too frequently to the Pens, and rarely in the opposite direction where we’re the ones who undeservedly win a game, that it can’t be “puck luck”…puck luck suggests a random occurrence…this is not random.,.this is a team trying to score goals in a way that’s not conducive to scoring for their personnel
I agree

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
There's puck luck, then there's puck suck.

You won't believe Rakell's "Deserve to Score-O-Meter" number.

beavis-never-scored.gif

Bylsma had a theory about goalie force fields to explain his team's scoring troubles.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The "Deserve to Win O'Meter" is a website that simulates each game 1,000 times based on shots, chances, etc.

According to this data, the Pens expected record this season is 14-4-0, and their record in actuality is 9-9-0.

Of games the Pens "deserved" to win, they have won only 6 of 14. Last season, their expected record was 46-36; their actual record was 40-42.

Nah, f*** that stat.

This team is being coached like shit.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
The Penguins are proof that these analytics about "expected" goals have a long way to go.

Yes and no. I think in terms of actually measuring how many goals a specific team should have scored that night, it definitely has some way to go. However if you continue to score below your expected goals it certainly shows that you have some problems at finishing which is something you can take away from that. High xG just shows that you get many chances but are unable to convert on them.

My favorite football team has the same problem as in they get a very bad xG count and even worse finishing :)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just think there's way too much chaos in hockey for a "deserve to win" thing to matter.

Like, yeah, the team might've had four golden chances from the slot, but if that puck's coming off of DOC or Nieto's stick, well, it's like 1/8 of a scoring chance. :laugh:

Reactions: Gurglesons

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yes and no. I think in terms of actually measuring how many goals a specific team should have scored that night, it definitely has some way to go. However if you continue to score below your expected goals it certainly shows that you have some problems at finishing which is something you can take away from that. High xG just shows that you get many chances but are unable to convert on them.

My favorite football team has the same problem as in they get a very bad xG count and even worse finishing :)

Which football team is that? Man U?

trader997

Oct 17, 2008
Montreal
How many post did we hit last night? And we scored a goal that got turned back... Last night was a game the Pens should have won but again we felt short. Luck is certainly not on our side for some games this year but net front presence and a good PP gets you in the playoffs these days which we don't have right now.

Reactions: Peat

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

Two questions:
1. How did it do overall?
2. How predictive is it?
3. What is Phil Kessel up to? How is this for a bottom 6?
Z Eller Phil
DOC Acciari Hino

Phil on the PP?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Flawed meter, but the reality is with a powerplay in the top 10 the Pens are probably like 12-6 this year, yea.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Flawed meter, but the reality is with a powerplay in the top 10 the Pens are probably like 12-6 this year, yea.
'
Which is pretty much where the downfall lies.

This team's 5v5 scoring is fine. It's 6th, and within a couple of goals of expected. Yeah it'd be nice to add a little more goalscoring, but right now this team at 5v5 is a high scoring team that you'd expect to continue scoring high.

It has scored nearly 50% of expected on the power play.

If this team can make one trade, it should be acquiring the player that they think can fix the unit, and tbh they should consider hiring someone other than Reirden to run it.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
'

This team's 5v5 scoring is fine. It's 6th, and within a couple of goals of expected. Yeah it'd be nice to add a little more goalscoring, but right now this team at 5v5 is a high scoring team that you'd expect to continue scoring high.

If this team can make one trade, it should be acquiring the player that they think can fix the unit, and tbh they should consider hiring someone other than Reirden to run it.
Yup. Needs a fwd who can compliment Sid and Geno and it needs a new coach who has never worked with either of them and isn't afraid to tell them to get over their habits.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
We mostly attack from the side of the net. Other teams attack from the middle, because they have dynamic players who can cut in and beat a guy. They are not the same level of scoring chance regardless of what you've been led to believe from advanced analytics. The shots from the side of the net sre very low percentage. I never understood why they were ever lumped in with shots from the middle of the ice.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Lol at phil kessel playing a bottom six role on a Sullivan
I feel so bad for Phil. Dude is so close to a 1,000 points and it looks like he won’t find a team. 1,000 points for an American born player is a big deal. I think there’s only like 10 of them.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
'

We all thought EK65, the best offensive blueliner of his generation was that player. Nothing is going to change while Reirden is here.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2