History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
1. Most Disappointing Team: 1999-2000 St. Louis Blues
2. Most Disappointing St. Louis Blue: Ryan Miller
3. Most Disappointing Moment in Blues History: Yzerman
4. Most Disappointing Blues Transaction: Scott Stevens RFA Signing
5. Most Disappointing Blues Coach/Executive: Mike Keenan

(left the "fashon choice" one out because it was too obvious)

What are your guys' thoughts? What did they get right? What did they get wrong?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...summer-series--st--louis-blues-010838815.html

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Owen #&!/!&#ing Nolan..........

It's so funny because my face when that happened was the same face I had when Toews scored in OT in game 5 last year.

I would have loved to had a side-by-side of my disappointed face. One as a 5th grader and one as a senior in college. :laugh:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The Yzerman goal stung the most and every time I see it - the pain is still there.

Owen Nolan almost by himself beat that Blues team. It's the reason San Jose continues to be the only sports franchise I hate.

Scott Stevens, in my top 10 favorite players of all time, that move definitely hurt the franchise unlike anything possibly in sports ever. The RedSox only lost Babe Ruth. We lost Stevens, 5 first round draft picks and a ton of money. Not that it's Stevens fault, the Blues just had inept management.

Even had we beat Detroit in that '96 game we would have had to play the Devils who swept Detroit that year. But who knows how history would have turned out had we won that Detroit game. Given Detroit lost that year in the finals, they went on a dynasty run for quite a while.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's so funny because my face when that happened was the same face I had when Toews scored in OT in game 5 last year.

I would have loved to had a side-by-side of my disappointed face. One as a 5th grader and one as a senior in college. :laugh:
I try not to be shocked anymore, but I always find myself screaming.

I was too young to really get bent out of shape back in 2000, fairly mad but whatever.

As for last year, going into the playoffs I had zero hope, then they went and shown great resolve and won 2 with injuries.......set me up and knocked me down.

.....miller.....

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Eh, Stevens should still be the most disappointing transaction just because of the aftermath. The Pronger deal might have immediately led to the crap teams, but the Stevens debacle really set the foundation for the collapse. Just think, we could have had Parise instead of Belle. That alone would've done wonders for sustained success, even when Laurie was trying to sell the team. The NHL and Lou really screwed us over because they wanted to send a message when we were really involved with RFA.

As far as the most disappointing Blue, it's hard for me to say Gretzky because he was a success and it was clear he wanted to stay with how much you still see him with the team. And for Miller, many of us had our doubts, but god was he a flop, even worse than I expected. I have to think there is a bigger disappointment out there though. I'd even say Erik Johnson was a bigger disappointment than Miller.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Eh, Stevens should still be the most disappointing transaction just because of the aftermath. The Pronger deal might have immediately led to the crap teams, but the Stevens debacle really set the foundation for the collapse. Just think, we could have had Parise instead of Belle. That alone would've done wonders for sustained success, even when Laurie was trying to sell the team. The NHL and Lou really screwed us over because they wanted to send a message when we were really involved with RFA.

As far as the most disappointing Blue, it's hard for me to say Gretzky because he was a success and it was clear he wanted to stay with how much you still see him with the team. And for Miller, many of us had our doubts, but god was he a flop, even worse than I expected. I have to think there is a bigger disappointment out there though. I'd even say Erik Johnson was a bigger disappointment than Miller.

Yeah the Miller one was a questionable choice. I too would go with Erik Johnson. How often, Edmonton aside, do you get the number 1 overall pick? And we took the consensus number 1 so I'm not angry at the Blues brass. But Johnson was a major disappointment; much more than Miller.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
"This is where I should point out that for Blues fans, seven games in the playoffs is fairly deep" sighs..........it hurts because its true....

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
yzerman...
dont_you_say_that_billy_madison.gif

PeterAngelo

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Probably not on the same level as Miller and EJ in terms of disappointment but I remember being very disappointed in Kariya's time with the franchise.

I realise the Blues were never getting Mighty Ducks Paul Kariya but after the guy hadn't missed a game in his two seasons at Nashville and had been pretty much a PPG player (55-106-161 in 164gp), I was pretty disappointed when he left here $18 mil richer having put up 36-87-123 in 168gp in his 3 seasons with the club.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He did help Boyes, but Kariya was brought in for 1 reason, to bring the average fans back, and he did that. He was a success, but not in a pure hockey way.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
What about Gretzky goes to Hullywood?

Hull was supposed to get 80 goals again with Gretzky setting him up. He didn't even stay a full season and didn't even get to the conference finals.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
What about Gretzky goes to Hullywood?

Hull was supposed to get 80 goals again with Gretzky setting him up. He didn't even stay a full season and didn't even get to the conference finals.

That's way more on Keenan. Hull even told Gretzky not to come and Gretzky didn't listen to him, something they still joke about. Gretzky's play on that Yzerman play was pretty disappointing, but as a player, I'm not disappointed in anything that Gretzky did. Even if Gretzky and Hull didn't develop chemistry in their short time together, if it wasn't for Keenan, that just would've meant that our top 2 lines would have been 2 of the best lines in the league. Don't need to load up one line when you can have elite production on 2 lines.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Most Disappointing moment : All the above, the previous 47 years. That was easy enough.

Jersey wise at least Keenan said no to that clown like alternate jersey - so it doesn't count as far as I am concerned. Now those half Red diagonal road Jerseys from 1995 through 1998 were asinine.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
You mean the fire engine red jerseys? LOL

I don't blame them for trying to change it up. Just a blue note is boring. They need to put the Arch on a jersey! It is known worldwide but the bluenote isn't!

Mar 6, 2012
I'd swap out Erik Johnson for Ryan Miller.

Miller was a big disappointment, yes, but ultimately he's going to be a footnote.

When you look at the kinds of players other franchises were able to get with their #1 picks and then you look at Erik Johnson... our one shot at being the top dog in the draft... and... ugh...

Instead of a franchise player we ended up with a slightly above average, utterly boring NHL defenseman. Such a "Blues" kind of pick.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I'd swap out Erik Johnson for Ryan Miller.

Miller was a big disappointment, yes, but ultimately he's going to be a footnote.

When you look at the kinds of players other franchises were able to get with their #1 picks and then you look at Erik Johnson... our one shot at being the top dog in the draft... and... ugh...

Instead of a franchise player we ended up with a slightly above average, utterly boring NHL defenseman. Such a "Blues" kind of pick.

The golf cart incident had a lot to do with EJ not becoming the superstar we expected. He was an athletic freak his rookie season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The golf cart incident had a lot to do with EJ not becoming the superstar we expected. He was an athletic freak his rookie season.

I'm unconvinced. I've torn an ACL and rehabbed. I've watched elite athletes do it and return to form. I think the golf cart incident is being scapegoated, but what I see as his limitation is a lot more between the ears than the stability of his knee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad