Confirmed with Link: PTO: Tim Erixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Labeling Mueller a bust, but also calling Merrill good is an argument detached from reality.

As long as you don't look at stats, results or any single fact...then yeah you're right...maybe the dumbest thing I've seen posted here.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Weren't you the guy saying we need to be patient with Merrill and won't know what he really is until he's 25 and has several seasons under his belt? Does Mueller deserve a similar time to develop or does that just go out the window when it doesn't fit your narrative?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Weren't you the guy saying we need to be patient with Merrill and won't know what he really is until he's 25 and has several seasons under his belt? Does Mueller deserve a similar time to develop or does that just go out the window when it doesn't fit your narrative?

Nah man, the stats don't lie. #bust

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

get out of here with your rational thoughts, man!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Merrill was one of the best Defensemen on the team last year. He led the team in CF% last season. He was one of the best players in Shots Against. He played I think it was 15 20+ minute games, multiple 24+ games and a high of 27 minutes. He had a very good year by any measurement...

You are comparing a player that has shown great potential from the beginning to one that has shown absolutely nothing at all over 4 years... it's honestly nonsensical. It's so bizarre it deserves no response. I confused by this argument it's so crazy.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I don't think I've ever seen so much hub bub over such a mediocre to below average player before. Holy ****, it's Jon Merrill folks. Let. It. Go.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I love Tim Erixon.

He cost the Rangers two 2nd Round draft picks.

I remember how pissed I was when they traded up for him, thought he was going to be a stud, even so his dad was a Ranger I was always a big fan of his game and that probably why I hated that he was going across the river. Figured he was going to be a chip off the old block.

And for those who don't remember his dad Jan, was just an excellent defensive forward, maybe the best in the league when he played.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't think I've ever seen so much hub bub over such a mediocre to below average player before. Holy ****, it's Jon Merrill folks. Let. It. Go.

He might be mediocre...but today, right now, at this very moment...there is no question that he would be our 2nd best LHD behind Greene...and honestly, the difference between Greene and Merrill wasn't that big last season..in fact when Greene was out Merrill did an excellent job in relief.

Moore, Prout, Mueller, and Butcher will not be able to provide the defense Merrill could next season that is 100% certain. And if you don't know that you're fooling yourself. You're in a situation where you hope Mueller "might" be able to reach Merrill's level and there is absolutely nothing in his past that suggest that is a possibility. Nothing at all.

So yeah, the mediocre below average guy is literally better than anything else we have.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Merrill was one of the best Defensemen on the team last year. He led the team in CF% last season. He was one of the best players in Shots Against. He played I think it was 15 20+ minute games, multiple 24+ games and a high of 27 minutes. He had a very good year by any measurement...

You are comparing a player that has shown great potential from the beginning to one that has shown absolutely nothing at all over 4 years... it's honestly nonsensical. It's so bizarre it deserves no response. I confused by this argument it's so crazy.

Saying Merrill was one of our best Dman only means that, he was one of our best, but it don't translate to him being a top Dman except for teams like ours where our depth is terrible.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Merrill had a great year? Seriously?

this is the same poster who refuses to give Adam Larsson any credit and Larsson NEVER had a season below what Merrill just had.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
He might be mediocre...but today, right now, at this very moment...there is no question that he would be our 2nd best LHD behind Greene...and honestly, the difference between Greene and Merrill wasn't that big last season..in fact when Greene was out Merrill did an excellent job in relief.

Moore, Prout, Mueller, and Butcher will not be able to provide the defense Merrill could next season that is 100% certain. And if you don't know that you're fooling yourself. You're in a situation where you hope Mueller "might" be able to reach Merrill's level and there is absolutely nothing in his past that suggest that is a possibility. Nothing at all.

So yeah, the mediocre below average guy is literally better than anything else we have.

Merrill never improved in 4 seasons. Butcher could certainly be as good in Year 1.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Actually the hope is Mueller and Butcher end up much better than Merrill because he wasn't very good.

Odds are st least one will be "as good", it really isn't a high bar

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Saying Merrill was one of our best Dman only means that, he was one of our best, but it don't translate to him being a top Dman except for teams like ours where our depth is terrible.

That argument doesn't address the reality of the team... If you replaced Merrill with someone better sure...but if you keep the existing crap and add worse players you are going backwards.

Mueller is not as good as Merrill and there is nothing to suggest that he will be.

Think about what is being said here... You are saying it doesn't matter how Merrill performed in relationship to this team because the team sucks....then you get rid of the better performer and add a worse one....Zero sense made. And that is precisely what just happened.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Actually the hope is Mueller and Butcher end up much better than Merrill because he wasn't very good.

Odds are st least one will be "as good", it really isn't a high bar

Butcher perhaps... Mueller is so far away from Merrill it's a joke to even have the conversation.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
That argument doesn't address the reality of the team... If you replaced Merrill with someone better sure...but if you keep the existing crap and add worse players you are going backwards.

Mueller is not as good as Merrill and there is nothing to suggest that he will be.

Think about what is being said here... You are saying it doesn't matter how Merrill performed in relationship to this team because the team sucks....then you get rid of the better performer and add a worse one....Zero sense made. And that is precisely what just happened.

How on earth do you know Mueller is going to be worse? You don't know, just like you don't know what Shero has up his sleeve with other moves.

Also another thing to consider is this - we also don't know what that locker room was like, it's possible, just possible, that Merrill was a problem and he needed to be jetison out. Now I have no reason to believe that this is true, but what is true is all of us our outsiders on the going ons of this franchise.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Merrill never improved in 4 seasons. Butcher could certainly be as good in Year 1.

Maybe. I don't know. But the issue that got everyone hot around the collar was Mueller being a bust... I never brought up Merrill only responded to the nonsense.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How on earth do you know Mueller is going to be worse? .

This is a guy that was having trouble in the AHL as recently as last year according to San Jose beat writers. The gap he has to close to get close to Merrill is immense.

Merrill dominated in the AHL in his limited time and he proved that he was NHL player immediately. We are 4 years out from his draft and Mueller still hasn't proved he's NHL player.

But I'll bet you money right now his first 12 minute game without a glaring gaff Mueller will be declared better by the wackadoos here.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
This is a guy that was having trouble in the AHL as recently as last year according to San Jose beat writers. The gap he has to close to get close to Merrill is immense.

Merrill dominated in the AHL in his limited time and he proved that he was NHL player immediately. We are 4 years out from his draft and Mueller still hasn't proved he's NHL player.

He was also playing for a coach who we have all seen first hand on how he can destroy a young player's confidence.

And it can't be easy for any young Euro player to come over here and leave family behind. The pressure must be off the charts.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
But I'll bet you money right now his first 12 minute game without a glaring gaff Mueller will be declared better by the wackadoos here.

Ok, so let them. Jim, you're acting like these guys are dissing a family member of yours, why is this water off your back?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

You are extremely stubborn riding a viewpoint sometimes, and it can lead you to say things like the above.

Now, admittedly, I honestly have no idea which one will be the better player when their respective careers are over; and it's entirely possible they're both so pedestrian that the distinction is meaningless.

But I do know enough to know that it's ridiculous to make a comment like that comparing a 25 year old Defenseman with 216 games under his belt versus a 22 year old Defenseman with 54 games under his belt.

Not to mention, the difference between a 22 and a 25 year old NHL defenseman is about the difference between a 22 and a 28 year old NHL forward. That chasm is huge.

So given how uninspiring Merrill was in those 216 games, were my hand forced & I had to choose one-over-the-other, I'd choose the boxed-out guy who's 3 years younger & on the great defensive team, with only 54 games & 3 fewer seasons in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad