PTO Options?

LeafFan

Jun 20, 2017
Still lots of time for guys to be signed, but seeing how we're likely not doing any other move outside of signing Marner, next option could be looking at possible PTOs.

Of all current FAs, any that look interesting for a PTO?
On D, what about Kronwall,Phaneuf,Engelland,Girardi?

For goalies, are people fine with Hutchinson, or could a guy like Cam Ward be worth trying out?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
No goalies. We already have 7 in the system.

Maybe Kronwall, Phaneuf, or Sekera if nobody scoops them up and Dermott for sure isn't ready.

Only problem is that Babcock would play each of them 20 minutes a night.

I really don't like any of our LD options out of the gate. Maybe Kivihalme impresses but all of Gravel, Harpur, Marincin, and Borgman are pretty terrible. Sandin should get anothet full year in the A

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Jaskin, he's a good bottom 6 defensive forward

Hutton, #5-#6 type that would be better than the other crap we have for the bottom pair like Marincin and Holl

Brassard, potential bounce back 3C candidate if Kerfoot is better as a winger in the top 9

Rieder, bottom 6 PK option

Kruger/McGinn/Sheahan, 4C defensive types

Girardi, veteran for the backend but I'd be wary of him
Babcock doesn't fall in love with those types

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

Maybe Kronwall, Phaneuf, or Sekera if nobody scoops them up and Dermott for sure isn't ready.

I really don't like any of our LD options out of the gate. Maybe Kivihalme impresses but all of Gravel, Harpur, Marincin, and Borgman are pretty terrible. Sandin should get anothet full year in the A

Sekera already signed and kronwall looks done. Hutton, reider, mcginn, girardi all seem like good pto options of not signed

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd find it hard to believe that Hutton goes unsigned. I wouldn't mind seeing if Methot and Brassard still have something left. Most of the others like Kronwall would be reaching really deep into the bargain bin.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Yes but beyond Andersen they are either years away, or complete trash.

Andersen is the only real goalie

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
we need a reliable cheap backup.
give ward or darling a PTO and see if they can show you something special.

also lets be real, we need a real 3rd/4th line center. Spezza signing was a mistake hes too slow and gauthier is garbage. give spooner and brassard a PTO

hutton is still unsigned because hes a garbage defenseman.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's sad that when we contemplate these types of depth signings, we have to take into account our coach's penchant for not allocating ice time properly.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
It's sad that when we contemplate these types of depth signings, we have to take into account our coach's penchant for not allocating ice time properly.

No doubt! If anyone should be on a PTO, it should be Babcock

Reactions: TakeTheBody

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jaskin, he's a good bottom 6 defensive forward

Hutton, #5-#6 type that would be better than the other crap we have for the bottom pair like Marincin and Holl

Brassard, potential bounce back 3C candidate if Kerfoot is better as a winger in the top 9

Rieder, bottom 6 PK option

Kruger/McGinn/Sheahan, 4C defensive types

Girardi, veteran for the backend but I'd be wary of him
Babcock doesn't fall in love with those types

Signed a 2-3 year deal in Europe :(

Kinda reminds me of Marcel Goc, could have kept playing as a 4C in the NHL but probably decided to go easier on his body, go to Europe, probably even collect more $$ at this point, or at worst, comparable. Kruger leaves a x3 Stanley Cup champion.

Reactions: Kiwi

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No goalies. None of them are worth our time and we need to move goalies out. Leafs should just make it a competition between Sparks and Hutchinson while trying to move Kaskisuo. Maybe offer someone like Mike McKenna a PTO in case the loser between Sparks and Hutchinson gets claimed on waivers, but besides that, he wouldn't be on the team.

I wouldn't give a PTO to anyone really. All of the good players are either getting contracts soon, will get better PTO opportunities from other teams, or will head to Europe for a lot better playing time and money. The rest should either retire or would be solid Marlies at best. Personally, I think the Leafs should look at getting one more guy for the Marlies, preferably a center, and not worry about PTO's too much.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Brassard would be nice. full lineup would look somehting like

hyman - tavares - marner
johnsson - matthews - nylander
kerfoot - brassard - kapanen
mikheyev - spezza - moore

thats solid

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Hutton would be great but I’m guessing he’s asking too much which is why he isn’t signed.

Girardi would be a good fit with Dermott on the 3rd pair. Problem is Babcock would play him 24 minutes a night with Rielly while Barrie is sheltered for not playing “the right way” or something

Last edited:

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Lovejoy seems like a cheap bottom righty fit for us. I assume the others are likely looking for above the 700k we would be willing to dish out

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I saw someone post here a week ago Spooner is getting a PTO once Marner signs.

Petrovic is the only other realistic PTO option (Brassard/Hutton are likely getting 1 year deals)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad