Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
That's not true. The fact that we don't know if he's ready doesn't mean he isn't right now or hasn't been for a while now.

For all we and the team know, he could have been fine to play in this years playoffs but that wasn't even tested as an option because of how long it had been since he had last played and they weren't going to use him anyways.
I mean, you're right in that there is a lot we don't know right now. But I find it hard to believe the way the GM is talking about Patrick after the season is over meaning he was ready but (understandably) being held back.

We'll find out soon either way, where Patrick is at to start the 2020-2021 season will be a big indicator on what he will be going forward for this team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean, you're right in that there is a lot we don't know right now. But I find it hard to believe the way the GM is talking about Patrick after the season is over meaning he was ready but (understandably) being held back.

We'll find out soon either way, where Patrick is at to start the 2020-2021 season will be a big indicator on what he will be going forward for this team.

Based on what I've heard Fletcher say, I'd bet on him being convinced Patrick is ready and able to play (based on Patrick's word and the docs/staffs evaluations), but the holdup is that he hasn't had a chance to test him and make it "official" that he's cleared for full contact. Until then, they don't want to make any definite statements.

Again, obviously we have no concrete proof, but this is just the impression I got from them. At the very least, it's not guaranteed to be bad news.

Benji007

Jun 7, 2018
Based on what I've heard Fletcher say, I'd bet on him being convinced Patrick is ready and able to play (based on Patrick's word and the docs/staffs evaluations), but the holdup is that he hasn't had a chance to test him and make it "official" that he's cleared for full contact. Until then, they don't want to make any definite statements.

Again, obviously we have no concrete proof, but this is just the impression I got from them. At the very least, it's not guaranteed to be bad news.
I wish I had your optimism regarding Patrick. I truly hope the kid can play again, but right now he would be found money to me.

Reactions: Striiker

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
His optimism is based of not jumping to conclusions that aren’t there in the information that’s been given.

Not sure how any one could take any information that’s been given as a negative.
Those who are negative are probably basing it on just the optics leading up to before the league shut down. We had a major black cloud over Patrick and it's going to take a long period of healthy hockey to remove it.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Those who are negative are probably basing it on just the optics leading up to before the league shut down. We had a major black cloud over Patrick and it's going to take a long period of healthy hockey to remove it.
maybe. but most the ones I am reading lately are taking recent updates into their posts.

Again not trying to say we should be positive but none of the new info is negative.

I do believe it will take healthy hockey for more than a year to shed this stigma. I also believe we will see him play again. and if he can sustain contact with out regression then he will probably be a good player for the flyers.

I also really like the team and want it and the players to succeed and be healthy.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
They can't count on Nolan being healthy and should view him as a bonus if he plays.

Pretty crazy that it will be 21 months since his last game played IF he does start next season healthy.

Also sad that Morin has played 29 games the last 3 years.

Talk about killing prospects development time.

Benji007

Jun 7, 2018
They can't count on Nolan being healthy and should view him as a bonus if he plays.

Pretty crazy that it will be 21 months since his last game played IF he does start next season healthy.

Also sad that Morin has played 29 games the last 3 years.

Talk about killing prospects development time.

Yeah - that exactly what I meant. I'm not negative or down on Patrick, I'm just not going to plan on him playing next year. If he does great, but I've got 3C penciled next to Frost's name and I've got a ? next to Nolan Patrick's name.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
U
Yeah - that exactly what I meant. I'm not negative or down on Patrick, I'm just not going to plan on him playing next year. If he does great, but I've got 3C penciled next to Frost's name and I've got a ? next to Nolan Patrick's name.
Probably smart to stay in house.

The problem will be if fletcher doesn’t.

Benji007

Jun 7, 2018
U

Probably smart to stay in house.

The problem will be if fletcher doesn’t.
Agreed and judging by Fletcher's last offseason if he see's 3C as a risk he'll be proactive and fill that hole quickly. Personally I'd rather he didn't, I think Frost can be that 3C but even if he falters a bit you still have Laughton, Raffl, G and Bunny that could fill that role at least until the trade deadline.

Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into the Staal trade but if Fletcher thought 3C was an issue I'd have to imagine that Eric Staal would be the exact type of stop gap he would have been looking for. Fingers crossed that he thinks we can handle in house.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Raffl and G are "break glass" options at center.

Laughton has defensive issues, you could pair him with G, with G playing defense at center for him and Laughton playing center on offense, but that takes away from G's offense.

Bunnaman and Frost should be much improved, but "should" and "are" are not synonymous.

If they're uncertain about Patrick, I can see Fletcher adding a RH center with experience at RW.
Right now they have NAK and Sandin in the bottom six at RW, and maybe Laczynski and Allison, though ideally they probably want them to start in the AHL. So depth at C/RW for one year would have value.

So bring in a veteran on a one year deal (or end of contract) who's an upgrade on Thompson, then come the TDL, if Patrick is healthy, or Bunnaman/Frost play well or Laczynski/Allison are ready, you have trade bait.

Benji007

Jun 7, 2018
Bunnaman and Frost should be much improved, but "should" and "are" are not synonymous.
That's the million dollar question isn't it. Does Fletcher see them as ready and he's OK with the break glass options or does he want to ensure the 3C is taken care of and bring in an Eric Staal type.

Based off last season I think your right and Fletcher brings in someone and I completely understand if he does. IMO our championship window is wide open and why take the chance at that spot when he could fill it fairly easily.

Personally I hope he doesn't and its essentially Frost's spot to lose.

Reactions: Larry44

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
eaeb4b40b379c4c3ddc1a397ff5f0416.png

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Nolan Patrick set to scrimmage... supposedly confirmed true... Fantastic news, and potentially a giant step.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not sure how true this is, but this is great news for Nolan Patrick if it is, and the Flyers for that matter. <a href="https://t.co/tqZMRur0Fz">pic.twitter.com/tqZMRur0Fz</a></p>&mdash; FlyersNittyGritty (@FlyersKnitty) <a href="">October 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Nolan Patrick set to scrimmage... supposedly confirmed true... Fantastic news, and potentially a giant step.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Not sure how true this is, but this is great news for Nolan Patrick if it is, and the Flyers for that matter. <a href="https://t.co/tqZMRur0Fz">pic.twitter.com/tqZMRur0Fz</a></p>&mdash; FlyersNittyGritty (@FlyersKnitty) <a href="">October 1, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If this is true he was probably cleared for the playoffs. This clearly won’t be as intense

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: