Injury Report: #2: Nolan Patrick Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26, '19); 1-year $874,125 qualifying offer (Oct. 16, '20)

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
if he is participating in practice that replicates actual game scenarios then he is most definitely cleared for contact. Thank god we traded Gudas.

Right? There is no "cleared for light love taps in the corner." I always thought it was binary - either you're cleared for contact or not.

And if you're not cleared, you wouldn't be wearing a regular jersey in practice and, you know, taking contact.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The chances of Patrick being able to perform at a >> Nate Thompson/Raffl/Laughton level is really remote and I those guys are below Frost level.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I think by bend of next week we will have an update. Long enough time to see if symptom free.

you know he just wants to play. I could see them giving 4c spot duty to get up to speed.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The chances of Patrick being able to perform at a >> Nate Thompson/Raffl/Laughton level is really remote and I those guys are below Frost level.
That's guesswork.

Stephen Johns missed 1.5 years and has come back and played well with Dallas.

In the end, assuming he stays healthy, Patricks play "should" dictate everything. Having another body for the stretch run and the playoffs could be important. Teams rarely have no one get hurt/banged up.

Reactions: SnS and Rebels57

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
That's guesswork.

In the end, assuming he stays healthy, Patricks play "should" dictate everything. Having another body for the stretch run and the playoffs could be important. Teams rarely have no one get hurt/banged up.
Unless you're the 2004 lightning who lost their #5 D then went through the playoffs healthy:ha:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's guesswork.

In the 13 games he's played since he returned, Johns has 17 blocks and 35 hits.
Guess he wasn't told to shy away from contact.

Reactions: Tripod

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
The biggest thing for Patrick if he does come back is not performing at a “regular” level, it’s gaining the confidence going into the summer and next year that he CAN play again without being bothered by the disorder

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
The biggest thing for Patrick if he does come back is not performing at a “regular” level, it’s gaining the confidence going into the summer and next year that he CAN play again without being bothered by the disorder

send "pattie" to the AHL for the rest of the year.....there's no way he helps the Flyers not having played AT ALL, at the Pro level, the whole year.

He should have to earn his spot on the big team, NEXT YEAR, if only out of respect for the guys who paid the price all year long !

REALLY :nod:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would bet my entire life that Patrick is better than all three of those guys if he comes back this year.

He’ll almost certainly need a bit of time to get back up to speed, but his abilities are in a different universe than theirs.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
god-left-this-place.gif

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I don’t know if that’s true, and it could be the case. But, I don’t you don’t shut the guy down just because you think he can’t play at a high enough level. Give him the opportunity, because he has shown he can perform at the NHL level in the past and he could turn into the piece the Flyers are missing, a 3C.

If he doesn’t you are in the same spot as you were before

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I would bet my entire life that Patrick is better than all three of those guys if he comes back this year.

He’ll almost certainly need a bit of time to get back up to speed, but his abilities are in a different universe than theirs.

I wouldn't bet one cent on it and I'm a professional gambler.

You're talking about a guy who, for long stretches of each of his professional seasons, was clearly not better than those guys. Someone who has needed 30+ games to get going in each season.

It was always foolish to expect anything out of Patrick this season. It still is.

Reactions: FlyerFaithful17

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't bet one cent on it and I'm a professional gambler.

You're talking about a guy who, for long stretches of each of his professional seasons, was clearly not better than those guys. Someone who has needed 30+ games to get going in each season.

It was always foolish to expect anything out of Patrick this season. It still is.
I think this “slow start” rep is an extreme exaggeration.

The first year was his rookie year, coming off of an offseason where he was recovering and unable to train properly.

The second year was that absolute disaster start that got Hextall and Hakstol fired.

I don’t think that’s enough to earn him a reputation of needing time to get going. Both are perfectly explainable and even if you want to say that the events of the second year wasn’t a good enough excuse, that’s still just one year and not a pattern. It’s just an unfortunate coincidence.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

one of those names is not like the other.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
i think i know what is going to happen. We are going to meet the Bruins in the Eastern Conference Finals . GO up 3-1. The Bruins out of nowhere sign Scott Stevens. Nolan Patrick comes in after dominating practice and wanting to get ready for the Cup , the flyers coaches put him in. .....You know the rest.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Not sure what is up with the sort of cleared for contact while not really being cleared thing but it's flyers training staff so it is what it is (incompetence).

Other than that though I guess it is encouraging and i'd sure love for him to be able to play on the 4th line for a bit before the end of the season... but i don't know how likely that is.

Don't really want him to go down to head hunter AHL land either. Just play him in a reduced role if he looks ready IMO. Risks either way though of course.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not that complicated, first you have him skate at full speed for an entire practice, if he doesn't show ill effects then you up the ante by allowing full contact, if he passes that hurdle for a few practices, then down to the AHL.

As Johns shows, either you're ready to return or not, he's taken far more contact than Patrick will receive as a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad