GDT: PS Game 5: Colorado Avalanche @ Vegas Golden Knights - 20:00 MT

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
This is the first game is ever seen Megan (that's what I'm calling him thanks to autocorrect) play, but damn he looked good in the third.

A lot of positives from our C-team vs their B+-team.

Leeb18

Feb 5, 2019
I'm still trying to figure out what the **** Subban was doing there. Seriously, he's the definition of a tools but no toolbox goaltender if I've ever seen one.

Long time Avs fan in the UK here.

I completely agree. Nice move from Megna on the defencemen no doubt, but if Subban actually played like that a proper goaltender and pushed off his skate to slide across with the pad down, that's not a goal.

On the plus side, good to hear about Timmins being so solid in both the Rookie Showcase and Preseason. Hope he makes the team.

The Future is bright!

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I'm glad I don't have to decide who'll get cut. Good performances by a bunch of prospects again. It's a shame Burakovsky and Nichushkin are basically guaranteed to get a spot.

Edit: If Timmins doesn't play on opening night I'll riot.

Reactions: missionAvs

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Standard practice would tell you Timmons should be sent down and given time to grow into the player he was drafted to be after taking a full year off. Standard practice would also tell you that someone who has the camp Timmons had, should slot into the 3rd pairing for now and hopefully work his into the top 4. The kid really looked NHL ready to me out there. Especially tonight. Sharp decision making. Always seems to do the right thing. No matter how small. He made some solid plays tonight. The staff has some tough decisions to make in my opinion. Rosen also looked sharp and made some great passes.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out what the **** Subban was doing there. Seriously, he's the definition of a tools but no toolbox goaltender if I've ever seen one.

Good looking but what in goods green earth is Subban doing on that goal?! It looks like he goes to poke check and pulls it back when he realizes that the worst possible idea.

Yeah, I don't know, but let's not cheapen this achievement.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Just finished watching it. My thoughts:

• Pavel Francouz: Hard to comment, really. Vegas had so few shots and even few actual scoring chances. Shame about the goal - that should never have gone in.
  • Dan Renouf: I've seen enough from him to think he could probably be a serviceable bottom pair NHL defenseman if paired with a puck-mover. I could see him getting a call-up if there's more injuries to Z/EJ/Cole types.
  • Kevin Connauton: He looked... bad. Like he's lost his confidence. I doubt they'll waive him given they traded for him, but I don't see him making the opening night roster after a game like that.
  • Matt Calvert: He looked like playoff Calvert. If he's on our 4th line we automatically have the best 4th line in hockey. It was also good to use him as a benchmark for the other guys to see if they're actually NHL-good or just AHL-good.
  • Jayson Megna: I don't see how he's not on the opening night roster. At this point I'd even put him on the 3rd line. I also want to see him get a shot on an otherwise NHL line in the last preseason game - maybe even with Kadri...
  • Valeri Nichushkin: I think I spent the 2nd half of the game watching him closely and praying that he got a goal. He came so close a couple of times and obviously desperately wants it. I've also really liked his game. I think he can be a really solid bottom 6 option for us - maybe you bump up Calvert and play Nuke with Bellemare.
  • Sheldon Dries: He is what he is. I saw nothing I haven't see before. He's a good effort guy.
  • Nikita Zadorov: I absolutely loved the shift where Carrier burried MacDonald, so Z burries Carrier, then Z carries to puck to dump it, sees Carrier coming in with a hit, and throws him down to the ice with one arm like Carrier's a fly buzzing around. William Carrier is 213 Ibs. I love Z.
  • Conor Timmins: My brain says send him to the AHL. My heart says put him on the 2nd powerplay with Girard. I think the thing I like best about him is the little head and shoulder fakes and little pivots he does to get open and past guys. I still can't believe how good he is already and am drooling over what he could become.
  • A.J. Greer: I loved his game in the offensive zone. I didn't not enjoy it everywhere else. I just don't see the NHL upside because at his skill level and his play style, he has to be a 200ft, reliable player.
  • Logan O'Connor: He should definitely be one of the first call-up. I like his speed, I like how he keeps things simple, goes to the tough areas, backchecks hard, and plays with maturity.
  • Jacob MacDonald: He had a couple good looks in the offensive zone, but I didn't like his defensive game.
  • TJ Tynan: I've liked him every game, but I'm not sure I see where he fits with the Avs. He kind of reminds me of Vinnie Hinostroza, but is likely just an AHL guy.
  • Bowen Byram: The kid does not look ready at all. At this point I'm not even sure he should get the 9 games, especially if it means having to waive someone.
  • Calle Rosen: Hands down the best defender in the game. He passing was nop notch, his puck-carrying was NHL level, and I even liked him on the PK. Again, my brain says send him down, but I don't see how he doesn't make the opening night roster at this point.
  • Martin Kaut: I liked seeing him trying to take the puck to the net more, and once again I saw evidence of his ability to control the play with the puck on his stick. He looks close to ready.
  • Vladislav Kamenev: I think he started the game with a lack of confidence (go watch his pre-game interview - whew!), but got better as things went on. I actually felt that he was one of the best forwards on the team with the puck. He was consistently able to make and accept passes (when a lot of others guys were fumbling the puck), he was making the right plays, he was being physical, and his goal, while a bit flukey, was still a good shot.
  • Matt Nieto: I thought he had a solid game. Probably out best penalty killer.
  • Michael Joly: Good lord he sucked. By far the worst player on the team. You can see he's an offensive-minded player, but he just doesn't seem to have the skill to make plays against even marginal NHL players.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
My first thought was that this goal has a lot of similarities to Ovechkin's goal, except for the fact that Ovi was on his back when he got the shot off.

Those caps jerseys were amazing. Miss the old logo.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
It almost looks painful.
EFZl7D9XoAAcXKk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad