GDT: PS Game 4: Minnesota Wild @ Colorado Avalanche - 5PM MT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know we've played like 40 different players in these preseason games, but not having a powerplay goal is very worrying. Not having a good PP in the first place is so critical for the season, if not we're going to be a first round sweep similar to the Preds.

The PP sucked last year too. A hot start kept the PP% up but it was dog**** in the second half
I would say it was hit and miss at times throughout the season. No doubt the best part of it was the first quarter of the season, decided to suck during the slump, but it picked up during the last third into the playoffs. Then it went to the abyss against the Sharks, but their powerplay was just as bad.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Man McGahey drives me nuts... It’s so scripted that it’s painful to listen to

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Whoa did Stalock bite on that shot. You know Landy's actually gonna shoot on that move at some point though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

3ba0ol.jpg

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah Bowers had a game. The kid doesn't look like a goalscorer but he can for sure play if this is an example of what's to come.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Remember when he was skating up to a guy and instead of hitting him he snow showered him? I knew right then and there his NHL career was over.

I remember that like I watched the game last night. One of the more embarrassing things I've seen.

No effort to check the guy. No effort to get his stick in the way or get his body in a position to effect the opponents momentum. No attempt to match his speed to get his stick in the way later on in the play. Literally threw the brakes on and painted the guys shins with snow.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I was at the game and here are my thoughts:

Cale Makar is so fun to watch, not jus for his offensive abilities but also for his ability to break up plays. He reads plays so well. He just comes out of nowhere to intercept passes or even shots to then start the rush the other way. His skating is just out of this world, just a treat to watch. He also is very good at getting his shots past the shot blocker.

Calle Rosen was phenomenal tonight. His breakout passes and seam passes in the O-zone were terrific. Had an active stick on D. He looks NHL-ready.

Byram had a quiet game, not too many mistakes, kept his game simple. But nothing really stood out. I've watched him in 3 pre-season games now, and I think he'd best be served with another year in the WHL. Too bad AHL isn't an option for him. Rosen and Timmins have the inside track for the 5-6 spots IMO (while Cole and Johnson are out)

Girard was solid as always. He had a terrific pokecheck at the end of regulation to break up an odd man rush.

Bowers and O'Connor both had good games and play similar style. Both were very good defensively and created some chances. Would have like to have seen Bowers take it to the net harder on a few rushes. O'Connor was our best PKer tonight IMO.

Megna was arguably our best forward through the first 2 periods. Rewarded with a nice shorty (I also liked the guy who got the assist on that goal, Colin Campbell). Clearly Bednar sees something in him and Tynan otherwise they wouldn't be getting so many looks.

Donskoi has the silkiest mitts. He dangled defenders in the neutral zone 3 times. He had a great game, could have had a couple goals tonight.

Kadri's game is much like Landy's. Heavy, in your face, mean, defensively responsible and skilled. Sucks for him he had Burakovsky on his line tonight, who really struggled at times. His other linemate was Sheldon Dries, so it was an uphill battle generating much.

Burakovsky's gotta figure it out because if he keeps fumbling the puck and turning it over as much as he's been doing, he's not deserving of a spot in the top 6, even without Mikko. He also looks slow to boot. I'd like to see Donskoi moved up to play with Mack and Landy. Have Kadri with Jost and Kaut or Nichushkin and see how that goes.

Jost was Jost. Flashes, but leaves you wanting more.

Landeskog was good and his SO winner was smooth. He played hard tonight despite it being a meaningless game for him.

In all a good game for the Avs. I got to meet and take a selfie with Mark Moser after the game so that was neat. Incredibly gracious of him, especially since he was with his family.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Cale Makar is so fun to watch, not jus for his offensive abilities but also for his ability to break up plays. He reads plays so well. He just comes out of nowhere to intercept passes or even shots to then start the rush the other way. His skating is just out of this world, just a treat to watch. He also is very good at getting his shots past the shot blocker.

Calle Rosen was phenomenal tonight. His breakout passes and seam passes in the O-zone were terrific. Had an active stick on D. He looks NHL-ready.

Byram had a quiet game, not too many mistakes, kept his game simple. But nothing really stood out. I've watched him in 3 pre-season games now, and I think he'd best be served with another year in the WHL. Too bad AHL isn't an option for him. Rosen and Timmins have the inside track for the 5-6 spots IMO (while Cole and Johnson are out)

Girard was solid as always. He had a terrific pokecheck at the end of regulation to break up an odd man rush.

Bowers and O'Connor both had good games and play similar style. Both were very good defensively and created some chances. Would have like to have seen Bowers take it to the net harder on a few rushes. O'Connor was our best PKer tonight IMO.

Megna was arguably our best forward through the first 2 periods. Rewarded with a nice shorty (I also liked the guy who got the assist on that goal, Colin Campbell). Clearly Bednar sees something in him and Tynan otherwise they wouldn't be getting so many looks.

Donskoi has the silkiest mitts. He dangled defenders in the neutral zone 3 times. He had a great game, could have had a couple goals tonight.

Kadri's game is much like Landy's. Heavy, in your face, mean, defensively responsible and skilled. Sucks for him he had Burakovsky on his line tonight, who really struggled at times. His other linemate was Sheldon Dries, so it was an uphill battle generating much.

Burakovsky's gotta figure it out because if he keeps fumbling the puck and turning it over as much as he's been doing, he's not deserving of a spot in the top 6, even without Mikko. He also looks slow to boot. I'd like to see Donskoi moved up to play with Mack and Landy. Have Kadri with Jost and Kaut or Nichushkin and see how that goes.

Landeskog was good and his SO winner was smooth. He played hard tonight despite it being a meaningless game for him.

In all a good game for the Avs. I got to meet and take a selfie with Mark Moser after the game so that was neat. Incredibly gracious of him, especially since he was with his family.

That is one reason it is hard to hate on Moser.. He posts and responds on twitter when hes on the road as to where he'll be and meets with fans on a regular basis just to BS about the Avs. Moser also replies to responses to his tweets if they are relevant. Hes responded directly to more than one of my comments. Even retweeting some stuff out of nowhere. He makes a real effort to not be above the clouds consistently. Which makes it very difficult to hate on him for me even if I think he could be better.

Dater does this sometimes, but is far less consistent about it.

Reactions: 63 others and MarkT

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
That is one reason it is hard to hate on Moser.. He posts and responds on twitter when hes on the road as to where he'll be and meets with fans on a regular basis just to BS about the Avs. Moser also replies to responses to his tweets if they are relevant. Hes responded directly to more than one of my comments. Even retweeting some stuff out of nowhere. He makes a real effort to not be above the clouds consistently. Which makes it very difficult to hate on him for me even if I think he could be better.

Dater does this sometimes, but is far less consistent about it.
I love Dater.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Thanks for your analysis, much appreciated.

Did Rosén get any time on the PK? If so, how did he look? His skating and puck-moving ability are clearly very good, but I think he might get edged out on that 3rd pairing if Connauton is seen as a significantly more reliable PK'er.

Good to hear that both Bowers and O'Connor looked good. Those are exactly the type of players we need to be developing for bottom 6 roles, and with Nieto/Bellemare/Calvert/Wilson all hitting UFA in the next 1-2 years it would be ideal if they could be replaced by players like Bowers and O'Connor who will be on ELC's and/or cheap RFA contracts.

Doesn't sound like Burakovsky is doing too well, but I'm going to reserve judgement until a few games of the regular season. Some players just take more time to settle and find their gear, particularly when acclimatising to higher altitude and Bednar's demanding system.

Reactions: MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad