GDT: PS #8 // Oilers @ Haie // Oct 3 @ 8 AM MST // TV: SNET

How do you think the Oilers will do this regular season?

• Total voters

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Most interesting Oilers preseason game I've ever watched. Everyone in this thread is some sort of exhibition hockey elitist apparently though. Good thing I watched the PVR recording before coming in here. I would have missed a good COMPLETELY FOR SHOW FUN PRESEASON GAME WHERE OILERS PLAYERS ARE ACTUALLY SHOWCASED TO THE REST OF THE WORLD FOR ONCE. Some group of fans has a real case of the Wednesdays....

Oh, I didn't realize the point of this game was to have a jolly good time and some fun on the ice instead of, you know, preparing the team to start the season and not be garbage yet again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes, very much. I'm also bothered by how this game on big ice kind of messes with them a bit going back to NA ice for that game Saturday.

To come out of that initial road trip 2-2 would be a huge victory in my books. But 2 or 4 games under .500 is very possible how this team comes out of the gates...

This is another component, but because I'm contemplative I would find it impossible, literally, to go to Europe and then have to go back home immediately and work, or concentrate on something important. If I do some mind blowing holiday that just takes you away (and Europe and Hawaii do that for me) I literally struggle with being back and functioning after. I need a day or two just to soak in what I've experienced. One of my worst work experiences was going to Hawaii and then having to do crisis intervention work within the same day of getting back home and off the plane.

So I wonder about Drai and the rest of the team going to wonderful places and then rolling up the sleeves right away for start of regular season in Sweden. I would find it really difficult to do that. Given the amount of Euro players we have in the lineup I would wonder how difficult it is for them to do the same. I think its really impacted. I don't think Drai, Klef, even Larsson have been right this entire time, this entire preseason. They seem not all there. I'm not blaming them. I would literally not be able to do both work, and be in these environments in Europe or thinking about them. We already know Drai and Pulju get homesick as well, probably others. I wonder how much this impacts the club in general. Edmonton doesn't always feel like any ideal home.

Reactions: PulYou

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Jesus the chanting somehow got louder for the power-play. Can we organize something like this at home? Probably not...but it'd be nice

Home fans typically stand, clap, and chant on all Power Plays here.
Overall Roger's is a morgue for me. It's all giant and quiet, then obnoxious blasting music, cheering on good plays, and some screaming on bad plays or missed calls. If you stand people will definitely say something to you in Edmonton. I heard some Chia talk last season about "making some changes" w.r.t. how great Vegas is. Let's see if they deliver in 18-19.

I love how people are upset we didn't play that well. It was an exhibition game. How many times did you see guys finishing their checks? Guys just wanted to give the fans a show and try to set up Drai for goals.
Saturday will be a way different pace and atmosphere.
100% agree. I was in row 13. McDavid was trying his hardest to avoid any limelight (and maybe any injury). It honestly looked partially staged with the Oil playing for a 1 goal lead/win.

I had too much fun on Tuesday night with some Edmonton pals who came directly from Oktoberfest. Game was fun. I cheered on all goals regardless of the team.

Any German or Canadian fan who thinks this was an authentic match-up... no comment.

In other news: the Haie's mascot (Sharkie I think) laid waste to Hunter in commercial break dance-off. Man that Sharkie had some moves! Break-dance, back-flips etc. Ended with Hunter doing the "I am not worthy" in front of the Sharkie.

Also a highlight for me in this friendly event. Sharkie is sick. They have a ninja in that suit. Some DEL games he break dances at center ice. After one win the KEC Goalie honestly did a break dance backspin at center ice after the other team left the ice.

Reactions: LaGu and Aerrol

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Oh, I didn't realize the point of this game was to have a jolly good time and some fun on the ice instead of, you know, preparing the team to start the season and not be garbage yet again.
Good that you realised it now then.

Playing in Europe on differently sized ice vs a team that is already well into their regular season had little to nothing to do with preparing for the upcoming season. It was an exhibition game to promote the team and the game, that's it. You could consider it like a skills competition if you will, those also happen from time to time and are for fun and promotion. It was pretty clear by most comments coming out from the management at the beginning of TC. I know Todd said that the roster had to be ready and the team fixed before heading over to Europe.

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
I thought Lucic looked very good in this meaningless game. Stood out.

Lucic plays a very physically demanding type of game. I think guys like him put a lot on the table in terms of self-sacrifice when expected to be the heavy factors in games. Pair that with a losing year - his first in the NHL - pretty easy to understand why his effort level seemed to droop so far last year.

I hope he can come in and find his spot on the team as a veteran and leader. I don't expect 60 pts out of him, but if he can pot 45 and return to his intimidating self, I for one will be very happy.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I see it differently. Pulju doesn't get fair treatment. When Pulju makes mistake he often gets demoted or even benched. Very rarely we have seem him getting rewarded when playing well. I think that 3line role is great for upcoming season, but you can still give more than 10min per game.

Againts Cologne another young player (Yamamoto) whiffed really badly in clearing attempt and was late in front of the net when Cologne tied it 3-3 and he didn't get the stick-treatment. He got ice time on OT after that.

Coach should treat players evenly. If you just bench Pulju (maybe Kassian too after bad penalties) you should bench everyone if they make same mistakes.

Finnish media guy, who lives in Vancouver during NHL seasons said that he has talked to people who follow and are close to Oilers that they are disappointed how Pulju has developed and getting on the edge with Puljujärvi and upcoming season is critical. I really, really hope that isn't true and they would be just slowly bringing him on, but I am getting a vibe the way they are handling Pulju that it actually could be the case.

That would be monunental mistake for this organization. They desperately need another forward who can drive the play and put 60+ points a year. I dont see Yamamoto being that. He is more likely complimentary player.

I am usually very positive about everything, but Todd is starting to annoy me a lot. This Pulju staff and powerplay groups are just idiotic. In interviews he talks a lot of good stuff etc, but he isn't willing to do anything to change clear issues.

To me this is something that Graig Simpson was voicing to David Staples this March.

I can very well believe this is something McLellan is thinking, but the same time I am guessing that Chiarelli likes Pulju and acknowledges Pulju's talent. Otherwise he could have traded him. There were other teams that were interesred.

To me how McLellan deploys Pulju equals poor asset management...

Oilers insider with stern message about Jesse Puljujarvi: "Keep the chain pretty tight around the neck"

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Those H A I E jerseys were only for this event. Kind of NYR style with no sponsors/ads. This was an NHL event, and apparently was also behind the abnormal pre-game show (e.g. no huge inflatable shark for the Haie to skate out of).

DEL Haie jerseys look like below. They warmed up in Black which really looked nice on the freshly painted ice vs. Oiler whites. Might have even been solid black practice jerseys (not the black game jersey below). Can't say for sure.
trik-kec.jpg

SourOil

Oct 3, 2008
To me this is something that Graig Simpson was voicing to David Staples this March.

I can very well believe this is something McLellan is thinking, but the same time I am guessing that Chiarelli likes Pulju and acknowledges Pulju's talent. Otherwise he could have traded him. There were other teams that were interesred.

To me how McLellan deploys Pulju equals poor asset management...

Oilers insider with stern message about Jesse Puljujarvi: "Keep the chain pretty tight around the neck"

I was walking into Rexall with a friend before a game, we were about 15 years old. I didn't get to go to many games, so it was always a special experience. About 20 ft from the door, I notice Craig Simpson and Kevin Lowe walking 5 ft in front of us - super excited man, these two of the 80's Oilers. They got to the door first, Craig opened it for Kevin, looked directly at me, turned, walked in, and let the door go behind him.

Moral of the story - f*** Craig Simpson.

Reactions: PulYou

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I was walking into Rexall with a friend before a game, we were about 15 years old. I didn't get to go to many games, so it was always a special experience. About 20 ft from the door, I notice Craig Simpson and Kevin Lowe walking 5 ft in front of us - super excited man, these two of the 80's Oilers. They got to the door first, Craig opened it for Kevin, looked directly at me, turned, walked in, and let the door go behind him.

Moral of the story - **** Craig Simpson.

Ag Craig Simpson, the ruiner of door openings and marriages.

Reactions: bone and PulYou

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Good that you realised it now then.

Playing in Europe on differently sized ice vs a team that is already well into their regular season had little to nothing to do with preparing for the upcoming season. It was an exhibition game to promote the team and the game, that's it. You could consider it like a skills competition if you will, those also happen from time to time and are for fun and promotion. It was pretty clear by most comments coming out from the management at the beginning of TC. I know Todd said that the roster had to be ready and the team fixed before heading over to Europe.

Don't be surprised when the team goes 2-8 t start the year then with this kind of lacksidasical attitude towards preparing for the season.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I see it differently. Pulju doesn't get fair treatment. When Pulju makes mistake he often gets demoted or even benched. Very rarely we have seem him getting rewarded when playing well. I think that 3line role is great for upcoming season, but you can still give more than 10min per game.

Againts Cologne another young player (Yamamoto) whiffed really badly in clearing attempt and was late in front of the net when Cologne tied it 3-3 and he didn't get the stick-treatment. He got ice time on OT after that.

Coach should treat players evenly. If you just bench Pulju (maybe Kassian too after bad penalties) you should bench everyone if they make same mistakes.

Finnish media guy, who lives in Vancouver during NHL seasons said that he has talked to people who follow and are close to Oilers that they are disappointed how Pulju has developed and getting on the edge with Puljujärvi and upcoming season is critical. I really, really hope that isn't true and they would be just slowly bringing him on, but I am getting a vibe the way they are handling Pulju that it actually could be the case.

That would be monunental mistake for this organization. They desperately need another forward who can drive the play and put 60+ points a year. I dont see Yamamoto being that. He is more likely complimentary player.

I am usually very positive about everything, but Todd is starting to annoy me a lot. This Pulju staff and powerplay groups are just idiotic. In interviews he talks a lot of good stuff etc, but he isn't willing to do anything to change clear issues.

Pretty much see it the same way. Maybe JP wasnt ready for the NHL when he got here. I think thats probably obvious. Unfortunately for JP, I dont think he took his English very seriously.

I just dont think the coach trusts him, mainly because of communication problems. Maybe thats not the end of the world. But theres just so many points when I watch and I say to myself "What kind of message are they sending to JP". He makes a mistake and get benched. Players like Letestu/Cagguila made mistakes all the time ... and they continuously got put out there.

What I dont like is ... JP had a great preseason. He was dynamic, he was noticeable, he was one of the Oilers best forwards. Easily the best forward in preseason who wasnt on the first line. When I watch him, I think he would be a perfect PK guy. I think he would also be good on 3 on 3. He just doesnt get an opportunity. I understand it when the guy is stuggling, but it just seems theres no reward for the guy. Yamamoto gets put out there on the PK and OT. (I am not turning it into a Yamamoto vs JP debate). JP got better and ended up getting less responsibility and less ice time. On a team that needs dynamic wingers in the worst way. Its honestly just confusing.

Its obvious that TM doesnt trust JP. But if the guy is making strides, you have to give him a shot. TM is just so stubborn, I dont know. What makes me mad, is that it was preseason. Isnt that when you should be giving someone like JP a shot to see what he can do? Same thing last year, when the season was a write off. It was an opportunity to see what some players could do, and I dont think he used it to his advantage.

He had all preseason to figure somethings out like the 2nd line and the PP and made very little adjustments. I dont have a lot of faith in the coach.

Last edited:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Agreed, I thought he looked pretty good.
He directly caused a goal against with his lack of mobility/laziness but then ended up scoring so kind of balanced out.

It was the goal where Cologne shot from the point to the side of the net for the touch pass across the crease. Lucic kinda waves at the puck with his stick and misses (taking a single stride he would have gotten the puck). Cologne player skates to the point and they score a second later

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Not seeing this at all.
For me its a question of trust and Jesse has yet to earn that trust. Not just from the coaches but from the players.
It might have been Strudwick that mentioned this but he was talking about how the Oiler players that played with Jesse couldn't trust that he was going to be where he was supposed to be. So (like Yak before him) that made him too unreliable during a game. The coaches were obviously aware of this and needed to see more structure in Jesses game. Jesse is learning though and I have noticed slow improvements last year at times although he was still very inconsistent.
He has taken another step this year and I have no doubt that once he earns the trust of his line mates and coaches he will continue to be given more PP time and even an opportunity to move up in the lineup.

For now though I think he is on the right line and being used appropriately.
Thankfully thats happening now and I am looking forward to seeing how far Jesse can develop.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not seeing this at all.
For me its a question of trust and Jesse has yet to earn that trust. Not just from the coaches but from the players.
It might have been Strudwick that mentioned this but he was talking about how the Oiler players that played with Jesse couldn't trust that he was going to be where he was supposed to be. So (like Yak before him) that made him too unreliable during a game. The coaches were obviously aware of this and needed to see more structure in Jesses game. Jesse is learning though and I have noticed slow improvements last year at times although he was still very inconsistent.
He has taken another step this year and I have no doubt that once he earns the trust of his line mates and coaches he will continue to be given more PP time and even an opportunity to move up in the lineup.

For now though I think he is on the right line and being used appropriately.
Thankfully thats happening now and I am looking forward to seeing how far Jesse can develop.
I wonder if he is slow to learn systems.

No matter how bad the system is, it's hard for players when your linemates are doing their own thing.

No idea if it's true but I could see it making a lot of sense. Pulju struggles with systems so Todd doesn't put him on special teams because he is struggling with the 5v5 systems and the org thinks throwing more at him could hurt him. Every good play o have seen Pulju do has essentially been him beasting on his own. It's rarely been good play involving his linemates etc.

I think he can definitely learn but he may just be struggling with it so 3rd line time allows Pulju to learn with less responsibility, play with a guy he wants to in Strome and gain confidence.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I wonder if he is slow to learn systems.

No matter how bad the system is, it's hard for players when your linemates are doing their own thing.

No idea if it's true but I could see it making a lot of sense. Pulju struggles with systems so Todd doesn't put him on special teams because he is struggling with the 5v5 systems and the org thinks throwing more at him could hurt him. Every good play o have seen Pulju do has essentially been him beasting on his own. It's rarely been good play involving his linemates etc.

I think he can definitely learn but he may just be struggling with it so 3rd line time allows Pulju to learn with less responsibility, play with a guy he wants to in Strome and gain confidence.

I agree. When I heard about the lack of structure and how Jesse needed to be a player that his line mates could trust the whole Jesse picture started to make more sense to me. Those comments were so insightful.

Its also possible that his English held him back in terms of learning systems as well.

In any event I am really looking forward to seeing Jesse continue to grow as a player. There is so much potential there and its exciting to think about how good he can really be one day.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Do some here really think the Oilers were going to go in and absolutely blow out the Cologne team? Have some perspective...

Reactions: LaGu

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I have no doubt that part of the problem with JP is the language and him probably not understanding the systems. At the same time, they are making it harder on him. I didn’t watch him in the FEL but where did he play on the PP? I bet he wasn’t playing the slot on the PP or wherever our coaching staff has him. Maybe I am wrong, a finnish poster can shed some light.

He should be used in a position where hes had success rather than trying to change his game to make the transition easier.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

North

Jun 25, 2009
I agree. When I heard about the lack of structure and how Jesse needed to be a player that his line mates could trust the whole Jesse picture started to make more sense to me. Those comments were so insightful.

Its also possible that his English held him back in terms of learning systems as well.

In any event I am really looking forward to seeing Jesse continue to grow as a player. There is so much potential there and its exciting to think about how good he can really be one day.

Personally, and this is just speculation on my part, I think Jesse probably thought he was going to step into the league and be immediately successful like Laine and Aho.

I think he learned some hard lessons during his first two seasons and really put his nose to the grindstone during this offseason.

I think the way Jesse is going to work his way up is to do what he did during preseason. Just play hard and show everyone that he is learning and can be trusted with greater responsibility through his play.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Drivesaitl just curious (and you don't have to answer or you can PM me if you prefer that) but were you previously known as a different poster named Replacement?

If you aren't I apologize but your writing style has some similarities. And I'm not taking a shot at you. I actually really enjoyed Replacement and his posts. I didn't always agree with him and his views but admired his loyalty to the players he liked

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad