GDT: PS #7 | "Proof" | Battle of Alberta | 7:00PM | Saddledome | Streamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Calgary just screwed up their lineup posting by reversing it... obviously Jankowski is centering their #1 line and Lucic is playing RW on the 2nd line in the top 6.
Sam Bennett is a #1 center according to OKG, just never had a chance, now is his chance to play alongside one of the top power forwards in the NHL in Lucic.

Not only does he kill people in the fights, in the hits, he also kills plays every time the puck is on his stick.

A true triple threat

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
As with years past, it really seems like Training Camp and "Competition" was little more than a Dog and Pony Show. Everyone Holland signed seems like they were going to make the team anyways. Maybe Jones could have used a longer look? Maybe Marody, who had a bad game but followed it up with a really good game producing and then was cut. Benson although not producing, still showed off his deft passing ability and showed more offensive threat than what we are left with. We've yet to see Haas or Nygard produce so it's curious that those guys weren't atleast given a long leash to "compete" against them.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As with years past, it really seems like Training Camp and "Competition" was little more than a Dog and Pony Show. Everyone Holland signed seems like they were going to make the team anyways. Maybe Jones could have used a longer look? Maybe Marody, who had a bad game but followed it up with a really good game producing and then was cut. Benson although not producing, still showed off his deft passing ability and showed more offensive threat than what we are left with. We've yet to see Haas or Nygard produce so it's curious that those guys weren't atleast given a long leash to "compete" against them.

Pretty much... but I think there are players percolating in Bakersfield that will get looks if it all falls to shit quickly with the "veteran" lineup.

Bear is really the only "surprise" on the roster... and he very likely would have been sent down as well if Persson didn't get hurt.

It's funny... but you could have basically cut and pasted the Oilers opening roster off of what Cap friendly was showing from before camp began.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Pretty much... but I think there are players percolating in Bakersfield that will get looks if it all falls to **** quickly with the "veteran" lineup.

Bear is really the only "surprise" on the roster... and he very likely would have been sent down as well if Persson didn't get hurt.

It's funny... but you could have basically cut and pasted the Oilers opening roster off of what Cap friendly was showing from before camp began.

I really don't mind the percolation aspect of it and maybe that's what Oilers management are thinking as well. Because come training camp next year, Jones, Benson, Marody should all still be Oilers but with an extra year of development. Guys like Nygard, Haas, Jurco... this year's their shot, either they make it or they don't.

But on the flip side of that.... I thought the job was to ice the best team this year. And I don't think Preseason Competition really determined which version of the team would have been the best.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Was expected opening day roster tonight fine tuning breakouts, pp, ok, but instead Oilers decide to still try out players. I guess we can iron out the kinks first few weeks of the season, who needs those points anyways.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What a horrible looking lineup for the Oilers. So much for hitting the ground running, having something approximating a topsix etc.

Looks like Drai has to hold up soggy cardboard on either side tonight.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Plot twist...

That is the Oilers season opening lineup.

McDavid retweaked his knee and is out for another 6-8 months. Rumour is a trade for Matthews is in the works as Edmonton is a step closer to reaching his bare-assed paradise in Phoenix.

RNH has a minor leg issue that will develop into a major one.

Klefbom contracted Ebola which was promptly eaten by necrotizing fasciitis which they treated successfully... but he slipped on a patch of wet grass and contracted a rare disease only thought to affect plants... and now also Klefboms apparently as well.

Kris Russell called it quits and joined the rodeo circuit.

Neal went back into a funk and refuses to come out and play without McDavid in the lineup... because well why would you.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Neither would I but Nurse can handle Lucic.

Please. I'll give "Doc" credit any day for the way he stuck up for himself and his teammates vs Lucic as a rookie. That takes some serious balls and he held on well. But ultimately that's just a losing battle.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Please. I'll give "Doc" credit any day for the way he stuck up for himself and his teammates vs Lucic as a rookie. That takes some serious balls and he held on well. But ultimately that's just a losing battle.

Doc has man strength now. He would kick the shit out of his 20 year old self.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
The Lags and Bear pairing is something to keep an eye on. I mean, I’m sure they’ll get shelled, but it’ll be interesting to see how they read off each other. That could be an important pairing moving forward for the next few years, they kind of complement each other well. In theory, at least.

Reactions: KYams17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad