GDT: PS #6 // Coyotes @ Oilers // Sept 27 @ 7 PM MST // Streaming

Have your feelings about this upcoming season changed based on the preseason so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2008
Nurse was ready to rearrange his face and he wanted nothing to do with Darnell playing Dr. instead of Nurse.

I'd really like to see Jesse stay on the 3rd line for now but he may need to be bumped up to get Drai going.

Drai is our 2nd highest paid player and our best faceoff man, he needs to stay at C and hopefully get some offensive support so that he can take his game to another level.

Lucic is a boat anchor. He will poison any line he is on. No longer fast enough for the nhl. He is Dave Semenko in a non-fighting league. He is a buy out candidate. Trade bait to a team struggling to meet the cap floor.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Gritty_break_internet_FULL.jpg
I met Hunter the mascot this summer. Good guy.
Would he take Gritty, the Flyers Mascot all wacked out on Meth and some blow from Jori Lehtera?

Reactions: Aerrol

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Koskinen was good and well earned 3rd star of the game! Too little, too late Aberg, and RIP Caggiula. Todd needs to GTFO with his braindead PP lines, clearly his idea and season will be lost
before he figures that out and gets fired.
Aberg, Caggiula and a couple others could be gone

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Missed the game so I can't comment based on any personal viewing but I see that the Draisaitl line didn't score again. Preseason or not, this has to be a concern for Mclellan.

I would assume that Yamamoto is going to be sent down before they head off to Europe. He has 4 goals but zero since the competition ramped up and he's a player that needed to do everything imaginable to earn a spot so I'm guessing that Rieder will start on the 2nd line.

Based on the comments in the thread, it seems like Koskinen settled down after a rough start so that's a positive. He'll probably start one more game to close out preseason and so the roll of the dice will begin when the real games start.

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Missed the game so I can't comment based on any personal viewing but I see that the Draisaitl line didn't score again. Preseason or not, this has to be a concern for Mclellan.

I would assume that Yamamoto is going to be sent down before they head off to Europe. He has 4 goals but zero since the competition ramped up and he's a player that needed to do everything imaginable to earn a spot so I'm guessing that Rieder will start on the 2nd line.
Which leaves only the 4rth line to figure out.

*** Brodziak ***

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

Its not so much that Yamamoto is playing against tougher competition, but rather with linemates who are making him worse.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Which leaves only the 4rth line to figure out.

*** Brodziak ***

Cagguila and Kassian are locks IMO. Contracts dictate a lot of these decisions, can't see them being pressboxed to start the season at 3.5M/yr. I'm guessing that Chiasson gets signed and Aberg waived.

I'm not really concerned with the 4th line. The 2nd line is the big concern.
It's not like Drai has a lot to work with but if he can't elevate his linemates at 8.5M/yr, it's a big problem. I have confidence that he'll be fine but big man has to start revving it up and soon. Can't afford a slow start out of the gate.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
how did Koskinen look? I know let in an early goal but it sounds like he recovered

as the Drai and Lucic...it's pre-season so I'll hold off my torch until I see very little in the regular season

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'll give Lucic until the end of the Europe trip to prove he's top 6 material again, after that I'd drop him to the fourth line and make him work his way back up.

Rnh McDavid rattie
Reider drai yam
Khaira Strome JP
Lucic brodziak someone

That would be my ideal lineup based on pre season so far. Cagguila Kassian Chiasson aberg all fight for the last spot and the extra forward spot.
I actually like Chaisson

Reactions: fuswald

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Lol Draisaitl will be just fine come regular season ,his head is in Germany right now ,I see Rieder being put back with him to start the season , Lucic has become the ultimate cringe player to watch now so slow ,can't receive a pass can't make one ,his heavy body building last off season destroyed any abiity to handle the puck. I still see Yamamoto starting in the minors unless trades are made to move a couple forwards out.
Reider-Drai-Puju, do it

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Koskinen looked pretty good from what I saw. Hes a definitely upgrade over Brossoit. With Talbot and Koskinen, I am feeling pretty comfortable with the goaltending. Thats good news coming into this season.

First line was good. McDavid started a bit slow, but showed why hes the best. The amount of chances he creates is a treat to watch.

The second line was a mess again. I am not overly concerned about Draisaitl as I think hes taking it easy because he doesnt want to get hurt and he probably doesnt care about preseason. But last year I thought he was pretty inconsistent. At 8.5 mil he has to drive a line consistently. I hope we see that this year. Lucic ... I just dont think hes that good of a player anymore. He is what he is at this point I think. The problem I see with him is that I dont know which line he fits on, he seems to bring everyone else down. Because of his contract hes getting forced into the lineup higher than he should. I also think that he needs to simplify his game. He should be driving the net and sitting infront of the goalie. I think the problem is too many Oilers defer to him. Its like they respect him and they think they should give him the puck. It just seems like everyone bends over backwards to get him going rather than trying to make smart plays.

Third line was ok I guess. I thought Rieder had a pretty good game. I liked what I have saw from him the last two games.

Fourth line wasnt great from what I saw. I thought they picked it up in the third. I like Brodziak so far. Aberg has some good moments and bad moments. Hes really inconsistent. Cagguila just doesnt move the needle much.

The PP is really atrocious. It makes you wonder who was running the PP last year. Was it actually Woodcroft or just McLellan? It makes me wonder whos actually making decisions when it comes to the PP. Maybe the players have more say? The Oilers brought in a bunch of coaches ... Gultuzan, Yawney, Vivieros. I cant imagine the three of them think they are using a good pp strategy. Is TM not even listening to his staff? Its really bizarre to me. Hes very stubborn. He has to make decisions which benefit the team. Simply putting all the veterans on one pp and putting all the young players on the second pp doesnt really work.

I really think the transition game from the defense has to improve. Last year I saw alot of cross passes back and forth between the defense. (Mainly Larsson, Klefbom, Benning and Russell). This team really needs to get the puck moving in a north and south direction much faster starting from the defense. The more time it takes to transition the puck, the more time it gives the other team to set up their neutral zone traps against this team.

Probably sound like a broken record but TM needs to get some players into the game more. I dont understand why JP is getting 10 minutes a game especially considering how hes looked this preseason. TM has to find a way to give him more ice time. Whether thats on the PP or PK. Why not play him in OT? Once again, hes really stubborn.

Not trying to complain too much, but I just dont like what I see from the TM so far. I was hoping that new assistants would push him and help him out. Its still early but I am not seeing a whole lot of adjustments with him.

Reactions: PulYou

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about Draisaitl right now. Last preseason was the only time he's put up points.

2014: 2 assists in 5 preseason games
2015: 1 goal, 1 assist in 5 preason games --> 7 goals, 10 assists in first 10 regular season games
2016: 1 assist in 3 presason games --> 2 goals, 4 assists in first 4 regular season games
2017: 3 goals, 3 assists in 5 preseason games --> 5 goals, 7 assists in first 11 regular season games
2018: 1 assist in 3 preseason games

Great points. Hopefully everyone reads this.

Reactions: Duke74 and Aerrol

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
it's only preseason....we still have a week and a half to go yet until these guys really care.
when it really matters.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, because that's what people said for the first 4 months of the season last year.

Lucic has no extra gear, "not caring" doesn't make your hands turn to stone and your skating look like it's in sand - he's BAD.

Reactions: nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad