GDT: PS #6 // Coyotes @ Oilers // Sept 27 @ 7 PM MST // Streaming

Have your feelings about this upcoming season changed based on the preseason so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
GDT TUNES

-

Preseason Game #6
Coyotes @ Oilers
Sept 27 @ 7:00 PM MST
Streaming on Oilers.com
TV: NHL Center Ice, Rogers Gamecenter (probably)

Oilers Lines:

TBA

Coyotes Lines:

TBA

-

Please vote in the poll!

Reactions: McLarsonator

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Voted no, always optimistic. Had $200 on the Oil making the playoffs before training camp started. Feel better about now than at the time though - mainly based on Rattie’s chemistry with Nuge and McD. Puljujarvi I was always confident would take the next step.

All we need now is for teams out East to quit gifting division rivals talent for pennies on the dollar (see MaxPac and EK65).

Reactions: MikeFLB and McDrai

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I've gone from being optimistic that they could make the playoffs to being optimistic they could be in the top two in the division if the defense can hold up. It's still early and they've got a tough start to the season schedule wise so we'll see, but Talbot looks better and overall the forwards look better than I was expecting. Obviously the defense appears to be the weak point, and the special teams are still questionable despite the PP scoring so far in pre-season. The pleasant surprises outweigh the unpleasant surprises though.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I was optimistic before Sekera got injured.

Still optimistic until rookie tourney.

After rookie tourney I realized how much good defense and especially goaltending makes and was pessimistic.

Currently optimistic primarily because of Talbots stellar play. Was never concerened about our forwards or goalscoring in general. Still am concerned with defense but if Talbots plays like he is that shouldn't be too bad.

Still only preseason tho, and even more of that to. Beating up on a rather sad Vancouver team doesn't exactly suggest the Oilers are going to steamroll the league.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I've gone from being optimistic that they could make the playoffs to being optimistic they could be in the top two in the division if the defense can hold up. ...
Well... sure

Our defense has always been the big problem. In 2016, they were great though, so it can happen. When I think of how Klef and Lars were last season though, man that was rough compared to what I saw previous. Losing Sekera is a huge deal too, since he would have likely come back in 2016-17 form after a "true" 100% recovery, and not what we were seeing last season.

I will choose to be optimistic though. They don't have to be the best, but even if they are average I think we will make the playoffs.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'd say I'm an optimist and still am after this preseason.

I was of the opinion that with a few bouncebacks the Oilers would be back in the playoff hunt this year which I'm seeing signs of this preseason.

On the other hand, like most others, I think the defence is still a huge worry. I'm totally fine with Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, and Russell but counting on two of Benning, Bouchard, Bear, Jerabek, and Garisson to handle the bottom pair is a scary thought.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Voted no, always optimistic. Had $200 on the Oil making the playoffs before training camp started. Feel better about now than at the time though - mainly based on Rattie’s chemistry with Nuge and McD. Puljujarvi I was always confident would take the next step.

All we need now is for teams out East to quit gifting division rivals talent for pennies on the dollar (see MaxPac and EK65).
I think Montreal did pretty good on the Patches trade.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Everything looks good except the pp they need to take their heads out of their asses and put Bouchard in for Klefbom and Rattie/JP in for Lucics useless ass. How long do we have to wait to see Mcdavid with 2 cross ice outs is it going to take the same amount of time these clowns took to put RNH/Mcdavid together. I pray Mclellan is either terminated early if it f***s up the teams win loss column or that he actually gets with the times realizes you need multiple threats from the point when you have a player like Mcdavid threading the puck to them.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's hard to get a real grip on things in the preseason when we keep playing cupcake teams. The only team that was actually a challenge we lost to, and it's not like we had our big guns in that game either.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I've always been optimistic they'd be in the hunt for a wildcard spot, it's been reinforced through pre season so far, especially if Talbot maintains how he's looked early. I think Yawney will be able to get a level of consistency out of our D but it could take some time, so hopefully we get some scoring from the forwards early season to float us.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I was neutral... thought they'd be a borderline wildcard team but likely just miss... somewhere in that 90-95 pt range... and realistically I still think that's where I'd still project them... maybe moving my guesstimate up slightly towards the 92-95 pt range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->