GDT: PS #5 // VAN x EDM // Sept 25 @ 7 PM MST // TV: SNET

Who should make the Oilers 6-7-8 defense?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
One area I disagree on is the possession aspect. On a bottomsix the benefit of possession would be less GA. But that isn't really the case with Khaira, as much as it is with Pak. You can state Pak had "'blackhole" possession numbers but his GA were uniformly low. Just a low event player and I don't mind some of those. If Khaira was an airtight player wouldn't mind that as well.

Here we run into a sample size question. Khaira played almost 400 more minutes at 5v5 than Pak. If the Finn plays more minutes while continuing to get caved in on the shot clock (his SF% was the worst on the team, even worse than Cagguila's) I expect those GF/GA numbers tilt pretty quick to the red.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Khaira has scored 3 goals in all of 2018. You've listed every one. You want some Slepy hilites that look just as good from a player that got half the chance in the lineup?

1.Khaira got 12 goals last season.

2.Sure if you want to post them I'll watch. I liked him fine enough.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Khaira has no definable role or spot that I can see. He's not good enough for topsix and never will be. He's not a particularly good Pker. Not an energy player. Is not particularly good in a shutdown or gap control role.

I liked Pak because he's a solid low event player that seldom gets scored on and was very good on the pk. He at least had a role, if used. I keep looking for Khaira to grow his niche here but really not seeing it. What is he actually consistent at?
He's a forward, why are you talking about gap control? If you are talking about gap control on offence, he does cut into the inside quite often, which is the best play when beating gap control on a dman. His role is a 3rd or 4th line player, take the body, cycle, guard the puck. Its not hard to figure it out.

Pak brought us a mighty 23 points in his 4 year career with the Oilers, and couldn't stay in the lineup. Jujhar will only get better on the PK, its only his second year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
can you honestly claim that he couldn't fit in as even the 12th forward on the team ? What makes players like cag and Kass better than JJ ?

While I'm not a fan of how Kass played last season he's clearly a better player, and talent, than Khaira. When on Kass is physical and a nightmare to play against. Also a better PK. Obviously Brodz is better than Khaira at 4th line Center. Not even a debate there. Khaira is lucky we still have less hanging around at LW. Cagg I'm not a fan of either. Hopefully as the Oilers improve they get better players in fill roles here. Khaira, Cagg, Aberg would be the worst forwadrs still in the lineup. Is that really unreasonable to think that?

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
While I'm not a fan of how Kass played last season he's clearly a better player, and talent, than Khaira. When on Kass is physical and a nightmare to play against. Also a better PK. Obviously Brodz is better than Khaira at 4th line Center. Not even a debate there. Khaira is lucky we still have less hanging around at LW. Cagg I'm not a fan of either. Hopefully as the Oilers improve they get better players in fill roles here. Khaira, Cagg, Aberg would be the worst forwadrs still in the lineup. Is that really unreasonable to think that?

nope but are u saying Kass at 2 mill is better than JJ at league min (600k) cause if thats what you're saying then I have to question you, have you been sleeping well ? You're usually quite knowledgeable, so I'm worried about you when you say such ridiculous things ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
1.Khaira got 12 goals last season.

2.Sure if you want to post them I'll watch. I liked him fine enough.

One of my concerns is Khaira is pretty inconsistent (same could be said with Slepy) But both have 13goals scored for the org, both are same age. But Khaira seemed to get more minutes and was benched less last season. Slepy actually scored 5 goals since Jan, more than Khaira, and yet he was the one getting scratched much of the time. It didn't make a lot of sense, and I think Slepy was the more skilled player. I liked the rugged play of Slepy as well and that he looked more comfortable and a better fit when he did get topsix minutes with Drai. Strangely the Oilers only put him with Drai 56mins all of last season. That's incomprehensible the way the two worked in the 2016 playoffs.

Boat has sailed but I still wonder about it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
nope but are u saying Kass at 2 mill is better than JJ at league min (600k) cause if thats what you're saying then I have to question you, have you been sleeping well ? You're usually quite knowledgeable, so I'm worried about you when you say such ridiculous things ;)

I actually caught a virus so I'm not feeling well, even a slight fever so you might be onto something. ;)

Yeah, can't argue capwise with what you are stating. That makes sense.

I'm not a capologist though. I don't think we can make the Kass contract go away or convinced we have to. Kass should be much better this season. Needs to be.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
One of my concerns is Khaira is pretty inconsistent (same could be said with Slepy) But both have 13goals scored for the org, both are same age. But Khaira seemed to get more minutes and was benched less last season. Slepy actually scored 5 goals since Jan, more than Khaira, and yet he was the one getting scratched much of the time. It didn't make a lot of sense, and I think Slepy was the more skilled player. I liked the rugged play of Slepy as well and that he looked more comfortable and a better fit when he did get topsix minutes with Drai. Strangely the Oilers only put him with Drai 56mins all of last season. That's incomprehensible the way the two worked in the 2016 playoffs.

Khaira is a more well rounded player - he's stronger on the defensive side of the puck albeit having less offensive "flair". As you said though, Khaira has the same number of goals so clearly he's bringing more to the table than Slepy is. Plus Khaira can PK.

The point is moot anyway since Slepyshev is gone.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Re: Draisaitl

Probably the only time in his career he’ll play in his hometown, in his home country, against his father’s team. Absolutely that’s where his mind is right now.

Been wondering about this myself. Drai has been talking about it a lot as well but I suspect he's a little overwhelmed by it all. He's not the same personality as McD where nothing ever gets to him and that he can handle any pressure. I really think it has been a major distraction for him. My sum opinion is he's kind of embarrassed with all the attention. Its a spectacle that's probably non stop on his mind.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
While I'm not a fan of how Kass played last season he's clearly a better player, and talent, than Khaira. When on Kass is physical and a nightmare to play against. Also a better PK

"When on" is doing a helluva lot of work there.

Khaira is lucky we still have less hanging around at LW. Cagg I'm not a fan of either. Hopefully as the Oilers improve they get better players in fill roles here. Khaira, Cagg, Aberg would be the worst forwadrs still in the lineup. Is that really unreasonable to think that?

I have some bad news for you: on a team where your top three forwards are making a combined $27M, you're going to see a lot of guys like Kharia cycle through the bottom six. That's not a problem.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Khaira is a more well rounded player - he's stronger on the defensive side of the puck albeit having less offensive "flair". As you said though, Khaira has the same number of goals so clearly he's bringing more to the table than Slepy is. Plus Khaira can PK.

The point is moot anyway since Slepyshev is gone.

Fair post, and again thanks. Nice to have actual discussion (isn't that why we come here?)

Slepy though could be used on the PP and has topsix oriented skill. The Oilers just didn't use the player there much or in topsix much. When with Drai, Slepy always looked good. I should mention that Slepy scored the same goals in less primo minutes. For instance Slepy got only 56mins with Draisaitl last season. Approx 20% of Khaira's minutes last season were with Draisaitl. Much more.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Fair post, and again thanks. Nice to have actual discussion (isn't that why we come here?)

Slepy though could be used on the PP and has topsix oriented skill. The Oilers just didn't use the player there much or in topsix much. When with Drai, Slepy always looked good. I should mention that Slepy scored the same goals in less primo minutes. For instance Slepy got only 56mins with Draisaitl last season. Approx 20% of Khaira's minutes last season were with Draisaitl. Much more.
That's fair, but I also think Slepyshev is more inconsistent out of the two. When he wasn't scoring or helping out on offense he was practically invisible. At least when Khaira isn't on the scoresheet he can help with other areas of the game that Slepyshev can't.

Usually a bottom 6 player that only provides offense is going to lose out to a more well-rounded player unless he provides enough offense to offset other deficiences. In McLellan's mind it wasn't enough.

For the record I liked Slepyshev when he was on his game too. It's just unfortunate that he sometimes wasn't.

Regardless, the past is in the past.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He's a forward, why are you talking about gap control? If you are talking about gap control on offence, he does cut into the inside quite often, which is the best play when beating gap control on a dman. His role is a 3rd or 4th line player, take the body, cycle, guard the puck. Its not hard to figure it out.

Pak brought us a mighty 23 points in his 4 year career with the Oilers, and couldn't stay in the lineup. Jujhar will only get better on the PK, its only his second year.

Khaira gets caught up and cheats high at times. Makes poor forecheck decisions on low probability puck wins. His GA is high relative to his QOC. Pak was certainly not a flashy player but he thought the game well. You need some players in your lineup that limit GA in close games.

Pak was a plus player last season (which is incredible considering how few pts he's on ice for, and Khaira was a -7 player. They were facing largely similar opposition most of the time. Pak was about the closest thing we had to a shutdown type winger.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Yeah, same page on Slepy. I think there was a story on him that we won't see play out. I saw a 15 goal 15 assist guy, but it just didn't work out. It's hard to say why, but it's too bad that when a guy goes back to Russia, it's usually for good.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
can you honestly claim that he couldn't fit in as even the 12th forward on the team ? What makes players like cag and Kass better than JJ ?

He can claim whatever he wants if it means he gets to argue with you for longer.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I actually caught a virus so I'm not feeling well, even a slight fever so you might be onto something. ;)

I'm not a capologist though. I don't think we can make the Kass contract go away or convinced we have to. Kass should be much better this season. Needs to be.

lol feel better bud, I do think you're wrong about JJ but lets see how the season goes before we get into that, you think people will consider me a hero for banishing you after I win the Pulj bet ? I mean 4 offseasons with no replacement may cause some to dance with joy :D

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
idk man, hes a good guy that likes to argue but no one can question his passion for the oilers, nothing wrong with sticking to your guns, if you read back, you will see that he does indeed listen to reason and will admit when he sees good points

I can't agree with your assessment at all, sorry.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah, same page on Slepy. I think there was a story on him that we won't see play out. I saw a 15 goal 15 assist guy, but it just didn't work out. It's hard to say why, but it's too bad that when a guy goes back to Russia, it's usually for good.
The fact that Khaira was cracking skulls last season probably endeared him to a lot of people in the organization last season. Slepyshev, on the other hand, more than likely threatened to go home last season if the Oilers sent him to Bakersfield to save his waiver exempt status. A lot of stuff regarding Slepy we simply weren't privy to, but it's not really too hard to put two and two together. Khaira is popular in the locker room.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Only one game, and exhibition at that, but he was garbage last night. He needs to get his game back in order or he'll be doing some sitting, regardless of his contract or veteran status.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Khaira gets caught up and cheats high at times. Makes poor forecheck decisions on low probability puck wins. His GA is high relative to his QOC.

But you said yourself he spent a bunch of time with Draisaitl, which means he was seeing top 6 opposition.

Pak was certainly not a flashy player but he thought the game well. You need some players in your lineup that limit GA in close games.

Having guys who bleed shots against the way Pak did isn't how you do that.

Pak was a plus player last season (which is incredible considering how few pts he's on ice for, and Khaira was a -7 player. They were facing largely similar opposition most of the time.

He was +1 at 5v5 in a mere 341 minutes so let's not put too much stock in that number.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
lol feel better bud, I do think you're wrong about JJ but lets see how the season goes before we get into that, you think people will consider me a hero for banishing you after I win the Pulj bet ? I mean 4 offseasons with no replacement may cause some to dance with joy :D

Its all good. I need to get more done with the offseasons anyway. I'm cheering for Pulju all the way.

Reactions: PulYou

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Only one game, and exhibition at that, but he was garbage last night. He needs to get his game back in order or he'll be doing some sitting, regardless of his contract or veteran status.

Not sure whats up with Kass. Its been a bit of a theory that him straightening out his life has removed some of the edge he otherwise had. So that a player that was much more predisposed to raging is more pleasant now.. its good in his life, its not maybe as good for his game..

I dunno, something is up.

He did play half decent in the prior game with Brodz. I think he was guilted into adopting a bit more of a work ethic by Kyle who is tireless out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad