Post-Game Talk: PS 4 - Flyers 3 BRUINS 1

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well sorry to say but Boston fans need to get over it, this team needs a rebuild, there is no two ways about it.
The win now scenario has played itself out, Sweeney trading for Orlov, Hathaway and Bertuzzi was a big mistake, none of those guys brought a winning culture to this team.
It clearly showed in the playoffs, they simply weren't worth the draft picks they traded away.
The so called healthy competition every camp is joke as well, that leads lackluster performances like last night.
The players supposedly fighting for a job, knew they weren't making the big club, so they fell flat as always.
The kids that have had a good camp need to be rewarded, not kill there confidence just because they have contract that is waiver exempt.

Its easy to say Boston fans need to get over it, but its just not the reality of things. Boston fans have an expectation of winning because that's what the city has done for the last 20 years. Again they've shown with the Patriots & Red Sox that they won't tolerate not winning, the proof is in the pudding.

As for the rest, going all in wasn't a mistake, it was the right move. If Sweeney didn't go in and the Bruins lost in R1, fans would have been livid and would have said this was the prefect time to go in and Sweeney failed. The performance last night was meh, but its also pre-season with a wide range of talent level and guys (for the most part) with almost no time playing together. The Flyers being at home also iced a pretty strong group of guys with 13 of their 18 skaters are NHL regulars.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It's his success at face-offs that has surprised me the most.

I'd temper that. Right now there's no book on him. Once other teams get to analyze his faceoffs, his success will come back to normal. Not saying he isn't goo, but over 70% won't be sustainable.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
It was a preseason game with half a team of prospects. Chill

I know Grasshopper. I also know that given there was half a roster of prospects or fringe NHL "vets" looking to stick there should have been more energy / push on the ice.

I would have expected that and I think it's fair to call it as such.

As for last night, I wouldn't have gone all Keenan on the kids but there is no way I would feel satisfied with the effort and some of the guys would have been stapled to the bench by the 3rd for playing as if they didn't care.

I'm OK with guys trying and getting beat but the lazy stuff doesn't cut it and shouldn't irrespective of pre-season or game 82. It's part of the culture of any team that you show up and contribute and when you allow picking and choosing it's a slippery slope.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Very interested to see basically the last tryout game tonight. If we assume that Geekie and Brown were brought in projected for 3C and 4C then I'm not sure what else the kid can do to earn a spot. He's looked terrific.

View attachment 748512

Poitras is certainly a guy that has made the biggest case for making the NHL roster. The decision making has been quick and he's made the right decision more times than not. He's had a handful of bad decisions, but that's expected for a 19yr old rookie. His willingness to engage in board battles and come out with the puck has been impressive. He's done well getting in on the forecheck and disrupting breakout plays. His vision has been fun to watch and you can see he understand how to create lates and get guys the puck in open space.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was not happy with the effort last night. If I was fighting for a job or my career I'd be going balls to the wall on every shift. I didn't see that.

Highlight for me was Charlie Coyle's sick pass to Morgan Geekie for that goal. Honestly I didn't think Charlie had it in him to do something like that!

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
What dysfunction? It was a pre-season game where only 5 skaters were locks for the NHL roster. Most of the rest of our roster were guys with the upside of bottom 6 forwards or 3rd pairing d-men.
Looked disorganized to me . To me that's on the coach . Pre-season or not.

Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Looked disorganized to me . To me that's on the coach . Pre-season or not.

Last nights lines looked like this:

DeBrusk - Coyle - Lysell
DeBrusk & Coyle played on different lines last year and Lysell was in the AHL

Greer - Geekie - Steen
Geekie is new to the team and I don't think Greer and Steen played together at all last year

McLaughlin - Poitras - Boqvist
They've never played together

Brazeau - Brown - Richard
Same as the line above, they've never played together.

Should we really be surprised that guys look disorganized when they've never played together and have only seen their linemates in a few practices?

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky

DeBrusk - Coyle - Lysell

Greer - Geekie - Steen
Geekie is new to the team and I don't think Greer and Steen played together at all last year

Same as the line above, they've n

Should we really be surprised that guys look disorganized when they've never played together and have only seen their linemates in a few practices?
I'm not surprised I've seen the same over the last few games.

I'm not talking individual players .

DeBrusk - Coyle - Lysell

Greer - Geekie - Steen

Same as the line above, they've never played together.

Should we really be surprised that guys look disorganized when they've never played together and have only seen their linemates in a . practices?
I'm talking about game plan .

Overpassing until you turnover . Getting the puck back to the point.
Shooting the puck on net. General game plan seemed to be lacking and not adjusted between periods.
That's my observation . We'll get another look tonight.

Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Especially since he won 6 out of 15 the previous game.
Going by Yahoo! boxscores, he was 5 / 11 in his 2nd game.

Overall, he's 20 / 18. If he does crack the roster, he'll be lucky to be over 50 percent at the dot at season's end. Out of all the rookies who have over 300 faceoff attempts in the past two seasons, only 4 have been over 50 percent ( highest being 57, next highest was 52 ).

Reactions: JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I heard those numbers on Bruins Rinkside.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't knocking the guy , just pointing out that last night's numbers weren't likely to reproduce themselves to often. Even the best of them struggle early in their careers as you have well illustrated.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm not surprised I've seen the same over the last few games.

I'm not talking individual players .

I'm talking about game plan .

Overpassing until you turnover . Getting the puck back to the point.
Shooting the puck on net. General game plan seemed to be lacking and not adjusted between periods.
That's my observation . We'll get another look tonight.

How do we know that the team is executing to the plan the coach staff wants? You have a bunch of guys trying to make their best impression in order to make the team. That can cause guys to look to make the perfect play vs the smart play. I think Lysell is a perfect example of that, he's over thinking things and has analysis paralysis which slows him down.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Don't get me wrong I wasn't knocking the guy , just pointing out that last night's numbers weren't likely to reproduce themselves to often. Even the best of them struggle early in their careers as you have well illustrated.

Ya he's not likely to maintain 72% in the dot all season long but that's also because its an absurd FO% (Bergeron over the last 3 years at 61.7%). For the pre-season he's sitting at 51.3% on 39 FO attempts, which is fine.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Some struggle for most of their careers but still are top line centers - Malkin, Getzlaf, McDavid for example. Bergeron/Krejci spoiled us all these years!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad