GDT: PS #2 // Oilers @ Canucks // Sept 18 @ 8:30 PM MST // TV: SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
From what I've seen I have Gravel in one of those #6/#7 spots. The other spot is a toss up so far imo. At the end of the day I think it will be Gravel&Garrison

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Garrison was horrible yesterday...

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russell Bouchard
Gravel

so far this is what it'll be unless Jerabek/others play better

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I think you are completely wrong here, he's got a slight build, but totally has the tools to overcome that he's sufficiently skilled, smart, and elusive enough to play around being below the average NHL standard for strength. I think Pettersson should be just barely above 60 points as a rookie, which is a rather strong debut, he also seems like a lock to make the NHL given Van's roster composition.

I think it's too early to tell if he can handle being pushed around, I dont think he's really had to deal with it yet. I think hes got the tools, but quote Mike Tyson... everyone's got a plan until they get hit in the face.

Certainly he hasn't had a guy like Larsson or Vlasic stick to him and grind him up a little every time he thinks about the puck. No offense to garrison, but the average NHL D will give the kid much less time and space, a much tighter gap, and smaller passing lanes. Schremp and Omark looked like surefire nhl allstars vs this kind of competition.

Fact is some guys fade when they get hit. They get hesitant to get the puck. They get hesitant to take it to the areas where goals are scored at this level.

He does look promising, but i don't think he's proved anything yet.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
From what I've seen I have Gravel in one of those #6/#7 spots. The other spot is a toss up so far imo. At the end of the day I think it will be Gravel&Garrison

I agree with Gravel but I think Jerabek beats out Garrison. He brings a different element than the other two and I feel like as preseason goes on, we will see Jerabek get better.

Reactions: guymez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Never watched as I don't put a lot of stock into these games, but man is there a mixed bag of reviews on players.

Nielsen had JP as the player of the game. Jamieson didn't think JP did much.

Garrison was either the best or worse d-man.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Never watched as I don't put a lot of stock into these games, but man is there a mixed bag of reviews on players.

Nielsen had JP as the player of the game. Jamieson didn't think JP did much.

Garrison was either the best or worse d-man.
Lots of bias showed.

Here is a review from someone who thinks Garrison has no NHL future and Pulju won't be a top 6 guy.

Pulju was our best forward until the last...10 minutes and Rattie went beast. Looked very solid

Garrison was our best defender last night not named Russell and was up against some top competition from the Nucks last night

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lots of bias showed.

Here is a review from someone who thinks Garrison has no NHL future and Pulju won't be a top 6 guy.

Pulju was our best forward until the last...10 minutes and Rattie went beast. Looked very solid

Garrison was our best defender last night not named Russell and was up against some top competition from the Nucks last night
I was pretty pumped to hear Nielsen talking about JP doing a lot of little things well and making smart plays with and without the puck.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
I thought Strome and Pulju were our best players until Rattie in the last ten minutes. Garrisson looked okay but not great. Yanamoto, McLeod and Benson looked tired. Jerabek looked lost out there. And Talbot looked fantastic which is by far the most encouraging thing.

Reactions: PulYou

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers had 2 goalies in the same game with a 92%+ save percentage.

It's definitely HUGE if Talbot can play like he did 2 years ago + if they can get at least 1 backup playing to at least average NHL backup levels.

That's so important in fact that it's probably the difference between a shot at the playoffs or no shot at all.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Oilers had 2 goalies in the same game with a 92%+ save percentage.

It's definitely HUGE if Talbot can play like he did 2 years ago + if they can get at least 1 backup playing to at least average NHL backup levels.

That's so important in fact that it's probably the difference between a shot at the playoffs or no shot at all.
average special teams too

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Garrison looked better than I expected after hearing reports that he was washed up and slower than molasses in winter. He should still be in the mix as far as I'm concerned albeit I haven't seen Gravel yet. Jerabek just looked ok by my eyes.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I’m amazed how many people liked Garrison’s game. I thought he was terrible. In fact I thought the entire D was a tire fire.

If it wasn’t for Talbot, we lose that game even with all the goals. He looked great!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’m amazed how many people liked Garrison’s game. I thought he was terrible. In fact I thought the entire D was a tire fire.

If it wasn’t for Talbot, we lose that game even with all the goals. He looked great!
what I saw was not good enough overall, but a mix of bad and good. It's enough to want to see more of him in pre season unless Tmac wants to trim the roster faster than expected. It's kind of like Koskinen. Glimmers that he will be a good player, but also a bad player. If they stay a mix, they won't be good enough because consistency is important. I like preseason as an eval period. Losses and screwups are not so important at this time.

Reactions: guymez

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
what I saw was not good enough overall, but a mix of bad and good. It's enough to want to see more of him in pre season unless Tmac wants to trim the roster faster than expected. It's kind of like Koskinen. Glimmers that he will be a good player, but also a bad player. If they stay a mix, they won't be good enough because consistency is important. I like preseason as an eval period. Losses and screwups are not so important at this time.
Yeah I don’t care about losses but screw ups matter. I missed part of the third but that D was a complete cluster...
Giveaways and two on ones galore.
Not much for outlet passes. Terrible.

One preseason game means next to nothing. I just find it funny how differently people can see a game.

My takeaway from Garrison’s game was that they can cut him any time now.
Others are praising him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah I don’t care about losses but screw ups matter. I missed part of the third but that D was a complete cluster...
Giveaways and two on ones galore.
Not much for outlet passes. Terrible.

One preseason game means next to nothing. I just find it funny how differently people can see a game.

Others are praising him.
what I meant was that good things matter more than screw ups. There were some poised plays from Garrison, enough for me to be intrigued and want to see more. But yes, by the end of preseason he better look better than he did the other night.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
I thought Strome and Pulju were our best players until Rattie in the last ten minutes. Garrisson looked okay but not great. Yanamoto, McLeod and Benson looked tired. Jerabek looked lost out there. And Talbot looked fantastic which is by far the most encouraging thing.

Mixed bag for sure. Willis had a whole piece on the Athletic about the RW players and felt Rattie had a great game including a great decision near the end to make a safe play instead of going for the hattie... meanwhile I read a piece on somewhere else (can't find it now) that ragged on Rattie saying his effort was sub-par and the two goals he scored were not indicators of anything other than him being plucky last night...

This time of year is craziness on how players are seen from different perspectives.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Keep in mind as well... most of these players are getting maybe 15 minutes of playing time and that's an awfully short sample size to anoint someone as good or bad... for most players it pretty much has to be "not enough data" as their assessment because statistically that's pretty much an impossible sample size to evaluate accurately. A goal and they look great... one goal against where they likely weren't even to blame and they look subpar.

Decisions have to be made though and already 19 players have been cut based on very little.

McLellan said pretty much the same thing... camp isn't fair and there's no way to get a good read and assess so many players well in a camp so short and with so many bodies in it.

That's why I think it's best to cut down VERY quickly to only a handful of extras and then evaluate and cull those few as you'll at least have a little more time to view those few players in amongst a much closer to actual NHL ready lineup.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Others are praising him.

1 game, I was told that he was slower than Gryba, etc. He is not, played physical and had a good hard shot on net. He was far from a world beater and made a few less than great plays defensively but he is a guy that I'd sign to a one way deal at $700K or so so that we have some injury insurance in Bako. He looked better than Lowe by my eye for example.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Garrison didn't earn a contract in that game, but he was quicker than I was expecting based on the reports of his foot speed and he had a couple good moments.

He probably gets 2 more games. I guess it depends on how well he's showing in practice.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Keep in mind as well... most of these players are getting maybe 15 minutes of playing time and that's an awfully short sample size to anoint someone as good or bad... for most players it pretty much has to be "not enough data" as their assessment because statistically that's pretty much an impossible sample size to evaluate accurately. A goal and they look great... one goal against where they likely weren't even to blame and they look subpar.

Decisions have to be made though and already 19 players have been cut based on very little.

McLellan said pretty much the same thing... camp isn't fair and there's no way to get a good read and assess so many players well in a camp so short and with so many bodies in it.

That's why I think it's best to cut down VERY quickly to only a handful of extras and then evaluate and cull those few as you'll at least have a little more time to view those few players in amongst a much closer to actual NHL ready lineup.
Again I haven't watched any games, but the one thing these pre-season games can do is make good players look bad due to their teammates.

Now if he's clearly making mistakes all the time that's another story, but some mistakes are caused from having inexperienced teammates not knowing what to do. You yourself start cheating trying to cover and then end up looking like the fool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad