GDT: PS #2 // Oilers @ Canucks // Sept 18 @ 8:30 PM MST // TV: SNET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Man is Pettersson gonna be a great player or what :eek: he already looks better than Horvat
Keeping in mind he was looking great against an AHL D. One problem immediately evident is he's going to have to fill out a bit. I think it would be a huge mistake for Vancouver to force him into the NHL lineup. Looks really slight out there and I don't think he'd endure punishment well at this stage. Needs some seasoning and training.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Man is Pettersson gonna be a great player or what :eek: he already looks better than Horvat

It's quite amazing how much better his stats were last season compared to his draft year. I mean they were nice enough the year before, but the step last year was a huge one. It seems like it was a good idea for him to stay in Sweden for a year longer.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Honestly I think Kassian is going to be traded before the season starts.

Caggiula as well.

Yeah I don’t see a spot for Caggiula, Upshall or Chiasson are better options at this point, maybe both if they move on from Kassian too.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
#98 looks ready to play wing on Dre's line along with Reider, unfortunately at 6 mill a year the Oilers are obliged to play Lucic there. :ha:. Won't be a good look with Lucic playing on the third line to start the season and start to sulk right out of the gate.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
This garbage is deplorable. If you think because Kassian got a 3 yr contract he's "not trying" anymore, you don't understand what it takes for these guys to be pro hockey players.

He had a quiet first game, maybe chill the **** out about a veteran player easing his way into the preseason.

Keep those pom poms warm, Jimmi. You're going to need them this year. He doesn't hit or fight worth a damn anymore, his PKing went right in the toilet last year, and he drowns if he's anywhere above fourth-line duty. Outcompeted by pups Rattie, Aberg, Puljujarvi, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Pakarinen...

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Hmm they gave rattie and aberg an interesting treatment, buried on the 3rd line with AHL guys. The difference is rattie looked great and could push the play on his own, whereas aberg floated looking to go on offense. Aberg actually is starting to remind me of a less skilled Eberle.

One guy I thought looked decent against the flames was Poile. Seemed like he could develop into a 4th line guy in a year or two.

Puljujarvi looked improved.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I thought Russell took a step back last season and I started to see some of of the negatives in his game becoming true... but honestly before last season his detractors were basically full of **** because he was easily a net positive out there on the ice and they were making up **** about how ineffective he was offensively/defensively on the ice, just to push their biased agenda that he was overpaid & useless.

I hope he can step up this season as well (along with many others who regressed last season) and provide a solid #4/5 presence on the team like he's ALWAYS done in years past.

You wont find anyone out there saying he isnt a solid #5 D. Hes consistently been a solid #5 D throughout his career. Thats not the issue. But those issues dont need to be rehashed here

if he can step up and fill the void Sekera left, Ill be over the moon

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
If Garrison can get back to near where he was 4+ years ago... they'd have a steal of a dman but time has moved on a lot since then... I'm a little skeptical that he's still going to be consistently effective at both ends but we'll see in a few more pre-season games if he still has the skills to keep up and contribute.

Pre-season is damned short though to get a good read on a player... but that's why PTO players (and rookies) have to play their asses off to stand out above the vets who already have contracts and roster spots locked up.

I remember he had a bomb of a shot

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Im ready to say goodbye to Kassian and Caggiula.

I got time for Kassian. Most vets dont put much effort in preseason. Kassian has shown he can be a good depth player, so I have no hesistation in thinking hell turn it on later in preseason/ start of reg season. Although I only expect average 4th line play from him

Cagguila on the other hand is totally unproven and for him, this is a try out. Hes on his last legs as an Oiler so if he doesnt show well, he should be sent to the AHL/moved. I had hopes for him but those are fading fast

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I got time for Kassian. Most vets dont put much effort in preseason. Kassian has shown he can be a good depth player, so I have no hesistation in thinking hell turn it on later in preseason/ start of reg season. Although I only expect average 4th line play from him

Cagguila on the other hand is totally unproven and for him, this is a try out. Hes on his last legs as an Oiler so if he doesnt show well, he should be sent to the AHL/moved. I had hopes for him but those are fading fast
I somewhat agree and it was only one game. However, Kassian is a guy that used up his previous accomplishments last year. He needs to be better very early on this year or the team should be moving on.

He sure looked great in 16-17, but he looked horrible last year. Not sure how much benefit of the doubt he should be getting this year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I somewhat agree and it was only one game. However, Kassian is a guy that used up his previous accomplishments last year. He needs to be better very early on this year or the team should be moving on.

He sure looked great in 16-17, but he looked horrible last year. Not sure how much benefit of the doubt he should be getting this year.

I can agree with this. For me hes on the fence. I dont think he should be taking preseason games off, but I understand it happens. Hes not a "vet" in the classical sense given his past. But hes still shown some really good things in the NHL over his career, so he does have a longer lease than someone like Cagguila. If Kassian is playing like this come the last preseason game, I wont be giving him the benefit of the doubt

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Caggiula just isn’t good enough. I hate the obsession we have keeping him in the lineup.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I got time for Kassian. Most vets dont put much effort in preseason.

He wasnt that impressive last season, I agree preseason isnt relevant for proven players. I think Chiasson could do his job for 1/3 the price though and on a team lacking in depth like ours it should be something worth considering.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
What did Upshall and Chiasson show thus far?

You know what you’re getting with Upshall, good 4th line player that can PK and at a lower cost. Caggiula isn’t any of those things. Chiasson looked better against Calgary but against lesser competition.

Not trying to dump on Caggiula but he doesn’t seem to have a defined role right now, not skilled enough to score on a regular basis and not good enough defensively to be in a checking role.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You know what you’re getting with Upshall, good 4th line player that can PK and at a lower cost. Caggiula isn’t any of those things. Chiasson looked better against Calgary but against lesser competition.

Not trying to dump on Caggiula but he doesn’t seem to have a defined role right now, not skilled enough to score on a regular basis and not good enough defensively to be in a checking role.

Do we know what we are getting with Upshall? Guy might be finished. He is on a PTO afterall.

Chiasson was pretty invisible almost the entire game against basically an AHL squad.

I guess we will see going forward. I personally haven't seen enough of anyone this preseason that I would be firing guys into the sun just yet.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
tuned in for the 2nd and 3rd last night

garrison was less than impressive in his own zone against fairly weak competition

russell had some good moments

talbot/montoya played well

rattie had bright and not so bright moments

lots of disorganization after the puck came back across the blue line
Everytime I looked up he matching up against either the Pettersson or Horvat line, that's a way tougher match-up then you'd normally expect to see for a 3rd pairing guy, he also seemed to lack a competent d-partner.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Keeping in mind he was looking great against an AHL D. One problem immediately evident is he's going to have to fill out a bit. I think it would be a huge mistake for Vancouver to force him into the NHL lineup. Looks really slight out there and I don't think he'd endure punishment well at this stage. Needs some seasoning and training.
I think you are completely wrong here, he's got a slight build, but totally has the tools to overcome that he's sufficiently skilled, smart, and elusive enough to play around being below the average NHL standard for strength. I think Pettersson should be just barely above 60 points as a rookie, which is a rather strong debut, he also seems like a lock to make the NHL given Van's roster composition.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad