GDT: PS #2 / “Preseason Roadkill” - Oilers @ Canucks / Sept 17 / 8:00 PM Mountain

Oilers send their Bakersfield team or their Wichita team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
6 goals, 20 ish points. Plus player on a bad hockey team. Sorry that’s a good third pairing D man. Try again

He's one of the worst puck-movers in the league playing extremely sheltered minutes.

He's going to struggle to find an NHL job more than Marincin once he's booted to the curb.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like that the Canucks lineup has a lot of decent players on it... will be a solid test for the Oilers "hopefuls".

Yes it's just a pre-season game... but if some players on the Oilers can stand out vs that roster... that's going to help separate the NHL potentials from the clear AHL level talent.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Manning will be better than Russell and Benning.

Book it.

I'm not a Russell fan but no, just no.
Russell is exactly where he needs to be, as a #5 on the left side of a bottom pairing. He's the best the Oilers have in that spot this season. He'd be a solid bottom pairing guy on most teams actually while Manning? Nah.

The biggest wildcard is the 2nd pairing RHD and maybe to a lesser extent, 3rd pairing RHD if Benning drops the ball in preseason.
Unlike others, I'm not sold on Persson after one game. I'll need to see a lot more against better rosters although it does appear that it's his spot to lose.
Bouchard, Bear, Jones and Lagesson are likely battling it out with Benning for #6D. It's going to take time to sort this out.

Reactions: ujju2

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He's one of the worst puck-movers in the league playing extremely sheltered minutes.

He's going to struggle to find an NHL job more than Marincin once he's booted to the curb.

He's 25, and played 207 NHL games paired with lesser players. He's fine. People are too hard on Benning because of the beginning of last season when he was paired with an unnamed dman. He got walked a few times, because of the other dmans poor reads and now people are out for blood.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not a Russell fan but no, just no.
Russell is exactly where he needs to be, as a #5 on the left side of a bottom pairing. He's the best the Oilers have in that spot this season. He'd be a solid bottom pairing guy on most teams actually while Manning? Nah.

All aboard the Mandog hype train.

Reactions: Kolja and bone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I hope gagner isn't on that second line.

Benson has to do much better this game to even have a chance of making the NHL roster on opening day. I see him as AHL/first or second call up with how he's played.
its far from an ideal config but think that this line can cycle and control the puck and they can all handle the puck and make opponents look silly. Its a nice vet line that gives defenders fits in terms of "who you gonna cover"

Nuge goal is also indicative that he's coming into this season with some filthy confidence. Nice mitts on that goal. Gagner and Neal both coming into this season with something to prove and careers on the line. Its a good situation for the Oilers to have all these guys. This is actually a bonafide production 2nd line. Something that hasn't really been seen here for quite awhile.

Reactions: harpoon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
All aboard the Mandog hype train.

th

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Kelowna??? Did I miss something?

Maybe the team figured out a way to get Matty out of their hair for a while...just tell him that things will be wrapping up in Kelowna for the rest of September..
Devious. :D

Actually I think they are doing some team bonding stuff in Kelowna next week.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010

Sheltered minutes argument about a third pairing Dman lol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I dont think you understand why he didn't play in the AHL much last year.

It's cause our AHL team was rolling and the defenders that were already on the team deserved to play.
Yeah, he wasn't good enough to play, because the team was playing so well they didn't need him, I get it. He doesn't deserve to be in camp, let alone on the Condors.

Reactions: The Nuge

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He's 25, and played 207 NHL games paired with lesser players. He's fine. People are too hard on Benning because of the beginning of last season when he was paired with an unnamed dman. He got walked a few times, because of the other dmans poor reads and now people are out for blood.
You should check out his stats with unnamed dman over the past couple years.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
He's also the best defensive zone dman we have. Gives up the fewest HDSCA, whether thats just because of competition or not, doesnt matter as he's on the 3rd pairing. And for a 3rd pairing dman you can't really ask for more.
I don’t mind him on the 3rd pairing but the “he’s a plus player” argument is a joke. Maybe we should bring back Garrison... he was a plus player.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Lets see how close the Oilers can keep this one. They should lose nicely today. Granlund and Cave are the only two guys who could be int he starting lineup upfront..

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Benson - McLeod - Hebig
Gambardella - Malone - Peluso
Granlund - Cave - P Russell
Jurco - Marody - Currie

Nurse - Larsson
Samorukov - Bouchard
Manning - Bear

Starrett

VS

Ferland - Petterson - Boucher
Goldobin - Gaudette - Ferraro
Pearson - Sutter - MacEwan
Arseneau - Graovac - Virtanen

Edler - Myers
Hughes - Biega
Sautner - Chatfield

Demko​

Fairly tough Vancouver roster. We will see how the youngsters do. Will be a good test for them.

Reactions: ujju2

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm not a fan of Manning, but he is still a quality AHL option. He did put up 40+ point season in that league not too long ago. He's a fine enough partner for Bear.

However he should be no where near Russell's job.

Reactions: harpoon

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What an ugly Oilers lineup. Pettersson and Hughes should skate circles around these guys if they're so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad