Providence Bruins Providence Signs Ferris State D-man Cooper Zech to a PTO

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I think Krug is gone to unless he takes what Bruins WANT TO PAY.

Did Krug lose a year off his contract?

I find it very hard to believe they move Krug, but with Grizz' emergence, Moore on the team for the foreseeable future, Chara probably coming back for another year (who knows?), and McAvoy probably being ready to take over top PP I think it would be worth it to take a look. Not to mention Vaak/Zboril/Lauzon all LHD and in the system.

Krug makes us a better team when hes in the lineup, but if we can get a top six forward in a package for him then I'm in.

On topic - i like the signing. No downside.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Cooper Zech named to all-WCHA 1st team and all-WCHA rookie team. Would be pretty shocked if he didn't win WCHA rookie of the year. They noted he led all NCAA freshman defensemen in scoring and was fourth in the NCAA in all freshman scoring.

Very excited to see if he can take the next step in the AHL but he had a hell of a season.

Didn’t see this, posted it in the Prospects thread as well.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He went to their camp last summer. They tried hard to sign him then but he decided to return for his senior year

Gotcha.

Maybe that’s why it’s “rumored” he will sign with them?

Mark Divver tweeted the other day that the B’s were supposedly interested in UMass Lowell LHD Mattias Goransson (just turned 24 last week) if he decides to turn pro. Don’t know anything about him, except for the stats and that he has some size (6’3”, 205).

Schuldt also shoots left and is 6’1”, 205. I can’t imagine Boston would sign both, but who knows?

From the “I had no idea” category...I didn’t realize that former Laffs 1st round pick (25th 2011) Stuart Percy was acquired by the B’s ten days ago in exchange for Austen Fyten. Percy will be paired with Cooper Zech in his pro debut tonight.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gotcha.

Mark Divver tweeted the other day that the B’s were supposedly interested in UMass Lowell LHD Mattias Goransson (just turned 24 last week) if he decides to turn pro. Don’t know anything about him, except for the stats and that he has some size (6’3”, 205).

Schuldt also shoots left and is 6’1”, 205. I can’t imagine Boston would sign both, but who knows?

From the “I had no idea” category...I didn’t realize that former Laffs 1st round pick (25th 2011) Stuart Percy was acquired by the B’s ten days ago in exchange for Austen Fyten. Percy will be paired with Cooper Zech in his pro debut tonight.

I may be off but I believe that was a Kaberle pick the leafs used to get Stuart Percy? God bless Toronto

Good that Zech can pair w a veteran in his first game

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Gotcha.

I suspect Percy won't have a long if any NHL career but I will say this: if there is a partner I want working with young players at a lower level Percy is high on my list

Reactions: CDJ

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Zech comes as advertised, smooth skating, moves the puck,makes the right play and is tiny,he's been smoked 4 times already in this game,bounces right back up

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Nice to add some talent like this for free, great sign by Sweeney. I am surprised this kid was not drafted or signed sooner. Another guy I would like the B's to sign is Luke Philip the top player in Canadian University hockey this year with the Alberta Golden Bears. Usually Canadian schools don't produce too much NHL talent, as unlike NCAA in Canada these are mostly guys who finished their Junior careers and did not get drafted or signed and decide to go to school to get a degree. There have been a few that have made it though, I remember Mike Ridley from years ago was pretty good.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Nice to add some talent like this for free, great sign by Sweeney. I am surprised this kid was not drafted or signed sooner. Another guy I would like the B's to sign is Luke Philip the top player in Canadian University hockey this year with the Alberta Golden Bears. Usually Canadian schools don't produce too much NHL talent, as unlike NCAA in Canada these are mostly guys who finished their Junior careers and did not get drafted or signed and decide to go to school to get a degree. There have been a few that have made it though, I remember Mike Ridley from years ago was pretty good.
If he's over 5'5'' forget it!:sarcasm::laugh:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Good.

Now go out and sign Jimmy Schuldt to go along with him and I will be ecstatic

He looks like Charlie McAvoy, does he play like him?

SCSU hockey: Schuldt's motivated by older brother

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I believe Percy had a couple of apples last night in the win over Lehigh Valley?

He did.

I'm not sure he will make it in the NHL but he will be an excellent AHL'er.

I saw enough of Percy in junior to know that he's an extremely intelligent player and a student of the game. He has superb leadership qualities. I can see him one day having, not a head coaching career but a defence coach.

It's really too bad the tools to match his smarts aren't there, at least IMO. But he can teach and I think he will help the youngsters develop and understand the game better.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He did.

I'm not sure he will make it in the NHL but he will be an excellent AHL'er.

I saw enough of Percy in junior to know that he's an extremely intelligent player and a student of the game. He has superb leadership qualities. I can see him one day having, not a head coaching career but a defence coach.

It's really too bad the tools to match his smarts aren't there, at least IMO. But he can teach and I think he will help the youngsters develop and understand the game better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad