Prospects Who had a Bad World Juniors But Still Turned Out Fine

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
the funny thing is that you have the players that have bad world juniors drop in value come draft time due to the players that have great world juniors

it opens up value at the draft if you are looking for it

Reactions: DaveG

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
in his draft year Pettersson had 1 point. better in his d+1 but this tournament just doesn't mean anything toward future projections.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
the funny thing is that you have the players that have bad world juniors drop in value come draft time due to the players that have great world juniors

it opens up value at the draft if you are looking for it

Sometimes the case. I remember the Svechnikov/Zadina comparisons taking flight after this tourney as the former was stapled to bottom tier minutes while the latter was given a starring role and thrived. Come draft time, nobody seemed to be questioning Svech as the #2, and Zadina didn't even go top 5.

Reactions: DaveG

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Marner, hehe

Can't tell if I'm missing the sarcasm but didn't marner lead the canadian team in points? Could be wrong as it was a few years ago but I watched it and that's what I thought..

Regardless like someone else said, JP lit that tourny up and he is a bust so no it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I think the better question is prospects who has great world juniors and busted

WJC really isn't a measure of how good they'll be in NHL

Brandon Gormley, Marek Schwarz, Pavel Brendl and Daniel Tkaczuk and are some of the top players at the WJC who were high draft choices that never amounted to a hill of beans in the NHL.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Age should be considered when looking at this aswell. Someone like Byfield will probably be in the NHL next year and would otherwise probably dominate the WJC next year

Reactions: sabresEH

Hughes86Hischier13

Feb 20, 2018
Simmonds had 1 point in 7 games and Couturier had 3 points in 7 games though he was only 18 at the time. Zucker had 3 points in 11 games combined in his first two U20 WJCs combined. It's really not uncommon at all. A short tournament should never define a player.
wasn't he sick or that was after?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Canuck players that sucked in WJC:

Pettersson
Hughes
Boeser
Virtanen

Canuck Prospects that did very well in WJC

Cody Hodgson
Jordan Schroeder
Olli Juolevi
Gustav Forsling

I was going to post the same thing. Canucks prospects are a perfect example that the WJC doesn’t mean much at all.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I think the better question is prospects who has great world juniors and busted

WJC really isn't a measure of how good they'll be in NHL
Cody Hodgson, Curtis Lazar, Brandon Gormley, most team Canada goalies ( Justin Pogge, Steve Mason, Zach Fucale, Eric Comrie etc) come to mind.

Mikhail Grigerenko for the Russians.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Scheifele sucked.

He was an obvious passenger with RNH and Huberdeau.

Edit: he actually had 8 points in 6 games. I'm an idiot

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Crosby didn't seem to be that impressive in the WJ's. But that may be because he was two years younger than everyone else.

Crosby was only 17 and was playing on the greatest mens junior team of all time, but despite that, he was still great. He was top 3 in points and 2nd in scoring I believe (on the team).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00