Prospects Who had a Bad World Juniors But Still Turned Out Fine

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Seems like every year we talk about certain drafted prospects who had a bad tournament and therefore are busts. I'm curious who had a bad World Juniors and made people say that who turned out to be just fine?

I doubt that a 7 game tournament can define a prospect but I'm interested in some examples.

Last edited:

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Q Hughes had sort of an average world junior appearance. At least relative to his skill level. Hasn't slowed him down one bit.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Simmonds had 1 point in 7 games and Couturier had 3 points in 7 games though he was only 18 at the time. Zucker had 3 points in 11 games combined in his first two U20 WJCs combined. It's really not uncommon at all. A short tournament should never define a player.

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Simmonds had 1 point in 7 games and Couturier had 3 points in 7 games though he was only 18 at the time. Zucker had 3 points in 11 games combined in his first two U20 WJCs combined. It's really not uncommon at all. A short tournament should never define a player.

Agreed. Same could be said for the playoffs. McDavid for instance:

GP:13
G: 5
P: 9

Too small of a sample size. I don't think anyone would say McDavid is a bust.

Reactions: StoneHands

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I think the better question is prospects who has great world juniors and busted

WJC really isn't a measure of how good they'll be in NHL

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Okay, taking it as assumed that it is obviously stupid to judge a prospect for such a short tournament, I'm just curious about examples lol. So that when people make the argument there is evidence that they're wrong because ______ player

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Golden goal aside, Mika Zibanejad really underwhelmed in his post-draft WJC. He had an OK statline but he was vastly outperformed by guys drafted ahead of him and behind him and, in general, he just didn't flash a ton of skill or ability.

It didn't worry me one bit - he was drafted as a raw prospect and he was playing a team with several 19 year olds.

Didn't MacKinnon only have 1 point in the WJC of his draft year?

Yup - he looked quite mediocre and then, 8 months later, he began a rookie season that saw him score 63 + 10 pts in 82 + 7 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad