Prospects that make opening day roster

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
And for anyone who states that Niagra won't be making the playoffs so his season will end early, he can (and probably will) be traded to another OHL team who is in playoff contention, a la Taveras in his last Jr. year.

Is it possible to sign him to a ATO in Bridgeport if he somehow doesn't get traded to another Jr. team, or is he still too young? I know he's still 19, but he will be 20 before next season. Does that allow him to play in Bridgeport this season to help in the Soundtigers playoff run?

The OHL trade deadline is this thursday. I'm not sure any team would take the risk trading for him with his shot at making the NHL.

Yes he could join the Sound Tigers after his OHL team is done for the season.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Surprised that Ness has so few votes, I didn't vote for him myself as I prefer Donovan but I think the coaches prefer him over Donovan.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The OHL trade deadline is this thursday. I'm not sure any team would take the risk trading for him with his shot at making the NHL.

Yes he could join the Sound Tigers after his OHL team is done for the season.

Ah, I didn't realize the OHL trade deadline was before the beginning of camp. I see your point about other teams not wanting to take the chance on him. Hmmm, even better then as he can join Bridgeport once Niagra's season is over. That's even better than seeing OHL playoff games.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
i really hope there is zero chance strome makes the team. the kid is developing wonderfully. Keep him in niagra and let him lead the CHL in scoring. Nino is at a PPG after 33 games played in the AHL...cant ask for more after one point for the entire season last year. Leave him be.

Casey can play in the NHL as a 3rd/4th liner right now, no doubt.
Ullstrom can play the same role..speed, grit and skill.
Donovan is the most ready dman prospect.

those are my 3

Again, posts like these make no sense to me. Let me just preface this by saying I don't think Strome should be guaranteed any spot on this team, he should have to earn it or make the coaches believe that he IS ready to be an NHL regular...

That said, this whole "Strome should have zero chance" just seems almost cowardly to me. It's like saying that you'd rather be a losing team than risk hurting this kid's value if he struggles at the NHL level. That he'd be "ruined" like Nino(yep, our ruined 20 year old PPG AHLer). This seems so ridiculous to me for several reasons:

A) Look around the league and you'll see it is actually pretty common for these top picks to enter the NHL after one or two or even zero years of post-draft development(a lot of them are making much deeper teams than the Islanders, mind you). Not only do they enter the NHL, but a lot of them actually have success early on and actually contribute to their respective team's success. Knowing that, to not even give Strome "a look" in TC after a year and a half of post-draft development seems incredibely misguided.

B) There is no one currently head and shoulders above Strome as far as our other options go. Cizikas? What has he proven? Is it the fact that he played 15 NHL games already? I don't see why it's a bad idea to give Strome an opportunity to make this team, but it is OK to basically guarantee Casey Cizikas a top-9 spot. It's confusing as hell. Nothing against CC, I like him as a potential 4th liner for this team, but not a top-6 guy and definitely not this year.

C) When people talk about Strome making the Islanders, everyone brings up the risk of him being "rushed" or "ruined". No one(at least none that I've seen) has brought up the possibility of him actually producing in his rookie year, and giving this team some much needed secondary scoring. IMO this is a real possibility, and the main reason why I would give him a shot this year. The effect of having a player like that between Bailey and Okposo would be extremely positive. Better than I could ever imagine it being with Cizikas or even Nielsen as their center. It would give us a better chance of winning NOW, which is what I assume everyone here wants.

So, for the last time, I'm not an advocate of the Islanders guaranteeing Strome a roster spot. I am, however, an advocate of giving him a real/fair chance at making this team. Considering there is a very real possibility that he could end up being this team's 2nd best center this year, I think it would be a crime to not at least find out if that could be the case.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
OlTimeHockey, I finally found someone more patient with prospects than you are...

What does Matt Donovan have to do to get some NHL time? The guy is 22, has played over a year and a half in the AHL, has had success at the AHL level, and there just so happens to be two gaping holes on our blue-line.

I am not trying to be to patient at all. I actually do not really see him filling steady roll. I am sick of us having to use sub par guys just because we have nothing else. I feel like a guy like Donovan would not be a NHL level player on most clubs.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I am not trying to be to patient at all. I actually do not really see him filling steady roll. I am sick of us having to use sub par guys just because we have nothing else. I feel like a guy like Donovan would not be a NHL level player on most clubs.

How would you know until you give him a shot? Before Visnovsky bailed, Donovan was expected to be a #5 or 6. I don't think that is an unreasonable role for the kid. If he struggles, try one of your other prospects/AHLers in Wishart, Ness, etc. or sign someone off the scrap heap(there are always vets available). It's not too unreasonable to expect Donovan to get a shot at the NHL this year.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
How would you know until you give him a shot? Before Visnovsky bailed, Donovan was expected to be a #5 or 6. I don't think that is an unreasonable role for the kid. If he struggles, try one of your other prospects/AHLers in Wishart, Ness, etc. or sign someone off the scrap heap(there are always vets available). It's not too unreasonable to expect Donovan to get a shot at the NHL this year.

I think he will get a shot. I do not think he should be on the opening night roster. Two different things IMO

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
OlTimeHockey, I finally found someone more patient with prospects than you are...

What does Matt Donovan have to do to get some NHL time? The guy is 22, has played over a year and a half in the AHL, has had success at the AHL level, and there just so happens to be two gaping holes on our blue-line.

Never said Donovan wasn't ready. He proved it in the AHL.:D

He did his time and earned it. If he was a gem first rounder, I'd be more cautious but given what he did in Bridgeport, he'd have earned it then, too.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Never said Donovan wasn't ready. He proved it in the AHL.:D

He did his time and earned it. If he was a gem first rounder, I'd be more cautious but given what he did in Bridgeport, he'd have earned it then, too.

Exactly. I don't know what more guys like Donovan can prove. He's already filled out at 22 years of age. He's had significant AHL experience and a good amount of AHL success. Two holes in the lineup. Lacking offensive ability from the back-end outside of Streit. Seems like a fit.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
C) When people talk about Strome making the Islanders, everyone brings up the risk of him being "rushed" or "ruined". No one(at least none that I've seen) has brought up the possibility of him actually producing in his rookie year, and giving this team some much needed secondary scoring. IMO this is a real possibility, and the main reason why I would give him a shot this year. The effect of having a player like that between Bailey and Okposo would be extremely positive. Better than I could ever imagine it being with Cizikas or even Nielsen as their center. It would give us a better chance of winning NOW, which is what I assume everyone here wants.

So, for the last time, I'm not an advocate of the Islanders guaranteeing Strome a roster spot. I am, however, an advocate of giving him a real/fair chance at making this team. Considering there is a very real possibility that he could end up being this team's 2nd best center this year, I think it would be a crime to not at least find out if that could be the case.

on Strome, if he does earn a job, he might be:

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Niederreiter

It's not exactly the same as 18 year old Bailey lining up with Richard Park, Jon Sim, Andy Hilbert and whomever else was on that JT91 lottery team.

There's a pretty good chance he'd be successful, and that goes for Niederreiter as well.

They MAY actually win jobs at minicamp! We can hope.

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
I don't understand why Wishart isn't given more consideration over here. The guy may be a nonphysical big defenseman who isn't offensively gifted, but he's more physically ready than the other candidates, he's calm and steady on defense, and if the Isles need to fill three holes on defense, I would think he would be the second defenseman to be called up of the ones available from Bridgeport. Aaron Ness may have better upside, but I'd be scared to have Donovan and Ness coming up as rookies together.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
The key here is opening day roster. Grabner is injured and that means we need someone to step up here and fill in for him. The Isles will clearly give Strome his 9 game tryout. I'm thinking the opening day roster looks like this:

Moulson - Tavares- Boyes
Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Ullstrom- Frans - Nino
Martin - Cizikas - Reasoner/Joensuu?

If Hamonic is out then the D will look like this:
Streit - Vis
MacDonald - Wishart
Carkner - Donovan

If Hamonic is healthy I think this will be our D:

Streit - Vis
MacDonald - Hammer
Carkner - Wishart

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
This.

Stats and overall game are two independent quantities and his stats are good. His game? Needs work from all I've seen and heard. The SAFE and SOUND money is on Nino staying (maybe a taste in a call-up as you said) and Strome and Reinhart waiting til next camp to see a chance.

But from the team that brought you Rick DiPietro's rookie year, Josh Bailey's push ups in chains and a plethora of other innovations....

LOL! that was a good one. totally agree, thats how it should be. no offence nino, your doing good in the AHL, but you need to work on aspects of your game. its like they dont want to hurt feelings or somthing

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
With Vis close to a no-show, I am surprised only one defenseman is being pushed to the top. I'd say Ness & Wishart are right up there with Donovan now.

You have no idea how much that sucked to type.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
LOL! that was a good one. totally agree, thats how it should be. no offence nino, your doing good in the AHL, but you need to work on aspects of your game. its like they dont want to hurt feelings or somthing

wanna see what he can doooooooo.........proven all he could in the AHL...........rinse.repeat.

Let's get another looksee....
souffle+epic+fail.JPG

Another failed souffle.
And so goes our prospect pool et again. Reinhart and Strome both have invites. Strome is expected to grow tougher and bigger by camp and Reinhart has a two week maturing thing going on with Cairns or Capuano that'll make him NHL ready.

044-300x292.jpg

(I really wanna make soufflés now! Recipe for a rich chocolate one will be made available when I do for all Strome proponents, maybe a peanutbutter/chocolate one for Nino fans:handclap:)

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
The key here is opening day roster. Grabner is injured and that means we need someone to step up here and fill in for him. The Isles will clearly give Strome his 9 game tryout. I'm thinking the opening day roster looks like this:

Moulson - Tavares- Boyes
Bailey - Strome - Okposo
Ullstrom- Frans - Nino
Martin - Cizikas - Reasoner/Joensuu?

If Hamonic is out then the D will look like this:
Streit - Vis
MacDonald - Wishart
Carkner - Donovan

If Hamonic is healthy I think this will be our D:

Streit - Vis
MacDonald - Hammer
Carkner - Wishart
If he is ready physically (after sitting out an injury) Joensuu might have earned a shot with a productive early season. He is on a 1 way contract so he is definately in the mix for a roster spot.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If Strome is given a 9 game look it won't be to replace Fran's spot. It will be third line center role. You are going to replace a rookie with a guy you already know what you can expect from at the NHL level?

Strome will have to prove what he can do against the pros first before he will get promoted.

Isles Enforcer

Sep 22, 2005
New York
www.islesenforcers.com
Looks like Ness may be out for a few games after taking a stick to the face last night. He lost a bunch if teeth and if Nelson is any indicator, he's going to be out for a while after surgery. Marc Cantin is also out with a concussion after that dirty hit from McIlrath so the only other guys in BPT that have NHL contracts are Wishart and Landry. Things aren't looking to good right now.

I think they should sign Kichton now and put him in BPT. You know they need the depth right now.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
If Strome is given a 9 game look it won't be to replace Fran's spot. It will be third line center role. You are going to replace a rookie with a guy you already know what you can expect from at the NHL level?

Strome will have to prove what he can do against the pros first before he will get promoted.

I agree with you, however, if our third line is going to have ullstrom and nino on it then I don't think you can put Strome on that line as they will be too young. That line would be too inexperienced.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I don't think they will include nino in this season other than the odd call up. I think if it is just Strome, he will play 3rd line with maybe Boulton and Grabner or Jonessu or even Martin for size.

Apparently now it's like a 5 or 6 game look instead of 9...so we might even see 5 game looks at a whole lot of our prospect to see who can be the wildcard to fill in the season.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
Whoever does make it to the roster, I hope Capuano makes a better effort to utilize them to the best of their ability. His use of Nino last season stunted his growth. Hopefully these kids can be brought in and used properly, because if they keep improving the Isles have a bright future.

Amen, one has to think the reason Nino struggled so much last year was because he was playing along side some inept hockey players.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Amen, one has to think the reason Nino struggled so much last year was because he was playing along side some inept hockey players.

A general rule in hockey.....when your winger and center skate a certain way, it does not make you by any force skate badly and commit errors. It does not make you weak at stickhandling when you are not playing with Pavel Datsyuk. One can still rush in and create offense even if one is not playing with Joe Thornton.

Whether Nino was on line 4 with an NHL vet of a decade and a rookie or if he was with Gordie Howe and Bryan Trottier in their primes, Nino was not skating well, his puckhandling was choppy and his shot was rushed and not very good. He MAY have an excuse to passing, but even them his passing was erratic. He was not ready in skill or, most importantly, maturity.

Saying he was ready is the same as saying there is no purpose to the minor leagues except to hold players there is no room for.

He didn't belong in the NHL last year. He played awful.

Thankfully, we had a lockout to protect an NHL future player's career from the career crippling, prospect rushing New York Islanders.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
A general rule in hockey.....when your winger and center skate a certain way, it does not make you by any force skate badly and commit errors. It does not make you weak at stickhandling when you are not playing with Pavel Datsyuk. One can still rush in and create offense even if one is not playing with Joe Thornton.

Whether Nino was on line 4 with an NHL vet of a decade and a rookie or if he was with Gordie Howe and Bryan Trottier in their primes, Nino was not skating well, his puckhandling was choppy and his shot was rushed and not very good. He MAY have an excuse to passing, but even them his passing was erratic. He was not ready in skill or, most importantly, maturity.

Saying he was ready is the same as saying there is no purpose to the minor leagues except to hold players there is no room for.

Thankfully, we had a lockout to protect an NHL future player's career from the career crippling, prospect rushing New York Islanders.

this is 100% accurate and I don't understand why some of us have to make excuses for our top 5 pick. It was painfully obvious Nino didn't belong in the NHL. The stats are PART of the story, his overall effectiveness was non-existent.

If he had "S-I-M" on his jersey, he'd have been vilified to no end. And frankly, Sim, Hilbert, Trent Hunter were leaps and bounds better in their time here than Nino showed last year. Bailey was better than Nino in his rookie year but even he was completely overmatched, regardless of ice-time, line-mates and overall handling by the coach.

I think Nino remains a great NHL prospect, right there with Strome (probably even ahead of Strome) in terms of NHL potential and upside and ultimate role/effectiveness as an NHL player. He's got size, skates well, good frame, great shot, nose for the net and great work ethic.....but he was not close to NHL capable last year, let alone "effective"

Is he much better this year? So far, yes. Let's see how he performs in camp. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team out of camp because he's apparently been very good in the AHL, producing as well as any proven/NHL-ready player (Eberle, RNH, Hall, Granlund, Couturier, Schenn, etc). But I wouldn't be disappointed if he didn't make the team this time either, and finished the year with BP. It would not diminish his potential in my eyes. Same goes for Strome, Nelson and Cizikas.

Ullstrom is older, I'd HOPE he makes the jump. He's certainly mature enough, has played enough pro-hockey and played well enough to earn an extended look. He's got size, speed and can play a bottom six role, a hole that exists on the roster, I expect him to make the team. If he can't make THIS TEAM, then he probably won't be an NHLer (not on the Islanders anyway) since I'd expect Strome, Nino, Nelson and Nathan MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov to take jobs next year :)

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Nino did look good before the concussion, and again towards the end of the year. He showed more confidence, was very physical, but he never had a chance to put up much offense in the situation he was in. I do agree with you that he looked pretty bad for a good 3+ months.

The main thing I find curious though is this: Considering how important Nino is to the the Isles' future, why didn't they at least give him a shot on some sort of scoring line? We had no secondary scoring last year, so it's not like moving Nino would have messed with anyone's chemistry. On top of that, wouldn't they think that possibly getting Nino on the score sheet could get him that confidence boost and maybe help in his development?

I mean, if they had no intention of sending him anywhere, why not give the kid an opportunity to make something happen? It's not like we were in a playoff run. IMO it was a no-brainer. Regardless of whether or not he should have been on LI, leaving him on the 4th line all year on a team that almost finished dead last was just the wrong move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad