Prospects that make opening day roster

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Donovan for sure. This kid is ready.

Casey has proven to be useable and is a great grinder.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Donovan is the only prospect I can vote for with any confidence as the Isles still need to fill at least one defensive slot even if Visnovsky comes back.

I think there is a distinct possibility that we see Cizikas or Ullstrom start the season with the Isles, but both have missed a fair amount of time due to injuries this season. I'd rather not see anyone else up with the club this season, unless it's in an emergency call-up situation; for the players in the AHL anyway. Send Strome and Reinhart back to Jrs and re-evaluate next year.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Anybody think Niederreiter has a chance? Haven't seen him in the AHL but his stats look good

He certainly has a chance, but while he has put up points in Bridgeport, there's been some debate on these boards about whether or not he needs to improve upon other aspects of the game. I think he looks decent from the handful of games that I've seen, but it wouldn't stunt his progress to finish out this season in the AHL. If the Isles feel the same way, I'm sure he'll at least get a few games in the NHL due to injury call-up anyway.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
He certainly has a chance, but while he has put up points in Bridgeport, there's been some debate on these boards about whether or not he needs to improve upon other aspects of the game. I think he looks decent from the handful of games that I've seen, but it wouldn't stunt his progress to finish out this season in the AHL. If the Isles feel the same way, I'm sure he'll at least get a few games in the NHL due to injury call-up anyway.

This.

Stats and overall game are two independent quantities and his stats are good. His game? Needs work from all I've seen and heard. The SAFE and SOUND money is on Nino staying (maybe a taste in a call-up as you said) and Strome and Reinhart waiting til next camp to see a chance.

But from the team that brought you Rick DiPietro's rookie year, Josh Bailey's push ups in chains and a plethora of other innovations....

OrangeZebra

Unregistered User
Mar 3, 2011
New York
Donovan looks like he will be our 6th defender or first call-up (if we sign a FA). I could also see one of Cizikas/Ullstrom making it, with one being the first call up. I think Strome might make the roster as well if he has a great camp.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Donovan looks like he will be our 6th defender or first call-up (if we sign a FA). I could also see one of Cizikas/Ullstrom making it, with one being the first call up. I think Strome might make the roster as well if he has a great camp.

I think he's definitely going to be on the roster as soon as the season starts. Even if Visnovsky shows up, the Isles only have 5 Dmen. I bet they think Donovan is ready and would rather him get the time than Wishart. If Visnovsky is a no show, then Donovan absolutely will be on the team.

Isles Enforcer

Sep 22, 2005
New York
www.islesenforcers.com
A lot of people have brought this up and please someone enlighten me; when you say "....if he has a great camp he'll make the team" in regards to Strome. With a 6 day conditioning based camp and zero preseason games, what constitutes a "great camp?" If he can skate faster than Eric Boulton?

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
A lot of people have brought this up and please someone enlighten me; when you say "....if he has a great camp he'll make the team" in regards to Strome. With a 6 day conditioning based camp and zero preseason games, what constitutes a "great camp?" If he can skate faster than Eric Boulton?

Quick adaptation to the system. Near instant chemistry on a line. Being able to keep up and perform in drills and scrimages as well as other estblished players. I can almost Guarantee he will get 1 or 2 regular season games to show what he can do.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I suppose just looking like he belongs playing with other NHLers. Maybe rotate Strome, Cizikas and whoever else you want to compete for that final center spot on the same line and evaluate when that line looks the most dangerous. Whoever is centering at that time gets the spot. Something like that, I suppose.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
If you have one hard a**ed camp where players beat eachother down in real situations and hit plenty and full blast, yeah....Strome could prove something.

If Weight, Cappy, Cairns, Thompson and Co. have them skate and scrimmage, no way. I can already see what fandom would do if he got hurt for the season in the first few games. All Eastern Conference, and that means hard hitting Devs, Philly, NYR, Pitt cheapshots, Toronto muggings....yeah, he's big enough. Short camp, rushed season, fewer rests between games.

What could go wrong?

Do we have a soft game again from the Chairman's orders or do we have more of the Cappy Pitt take no BS game we enjoyed all so briefly? I think it'll be harder than last year, but not hard enough to effectively persuade me that there will be parity in the physical game department. (no protection, more retaliation)

It's not worth it unless he's fast enough and skilled enough to survive the toughest division in the NHL in a condensed schedule. I'd prefer a tough and able Cizikas to play his game over Strome or Nino.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
i dont think any of them should make it out of camp

OlTimeHockey, I finally found someone more patient with prospects than you are...

What does Matt Donovan have to do to get some NHL time? The guy is 22, has played over a year and a half in the AHL, has had success at the AHL level, and there just so happens to be two gaping holes on our blue-line.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
i dont think any of them should make it out of camp

that's the "jaded NYI fan with common sense" talking....but let's look at his another way, are there players on that list that would/might WIN A JOB at camp?

The Isles have probably FOUR NHL jobs "available" - in that, if a young player came in a played like Jeff Skinner or Dimitri Kulikov, they'd EARN a job.

For me, the most capable of winning those jobs are:

FWD: Ryan Strome and Nino Niederreiter (I think both cizikas and ullstrom might win a 4th line role but don't expect the same in the top nine)

D: deHaan (but that won't happen) but I'm hoping Donovan will. I just hope they don't force him into a role he didn't outright earn with his play in the AHL or mini-camp.

I'd MUCH rather have Martinek, Eaton, Ranger-types than a player who's young, improving/not-ready!

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
If you have one hard a**ed camp where players beat eachother down in real situations and hit plenty and full blast, yeah....Strome could prove something.

If Weight, Cappy, Cairns, Thompson and Co. have them skate and scrimmage, no way. I can already see what fandom would do if he got hurt for the season in the first few games. All Eastern Conference, and that means hard hitting Devs, Philly, NYR, Pitt cheapshots, Toronto muggings....yeah, he's big enough. Short camp, rushed season, fewer rests between games.

What could go wrong?

Do we have a soft game again from the Chairman's orders or do we have more of the Cappy Pitt take no BS game we enjoyed all so briefly? I think it'll be harder than last year, but not hard enough to effectively persuade me that there will be parity in the physical game department. (no protection, more retaliation)

It's not worth it unless he's fast enough and skilled enough to survive the toughest division in the NHL in a condensed schedule. I'd prefer a tough and able Cizikas to play his game over Strome or Nino.

Personally I have no confidence in Cizikas creating any offense at the NHL level this year. I do see potential for Strome having success right away and being a 50-60 point player under the right circumstances. For that reason alone I'd give him a real opportunity in camp. I just see no hope for the season if a guy like Cizikas is getting top-9 minutes. Our defense is pretty weak, especially with Visnovsky out of the picture. Aside from the Tavares-Moulson line, we have no consistent scoring threats. Strome at least gives us a chance for some secondary scoring. Give the kid a shot.

Incarnadine Sea

Mar 4, 2011
Long Island
Whoever does make it to the roster, I hope Capuano makes a better effort to utilize them to the best of their ability. His use of Nino last season stunted his growth. Hopefully these kids can be brought in and used properly, because if they keep improving the Isles have a bright future.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
i really hope there is zero chance strome makes the team. the kid is developing wonderfully. Keep him in niagra and let him lead the CHL in scoring. Nino is at a PPG after 33 games played in the AHL...cant ask for more after one point for the entire season last year. Leave him be.

Casey can play in the NHL as a 3rd/4th liner right now, no doubt.
Ullstrom can play the same role..speed, grit and skill.
Donovan is the most ready dman prospect.

those are my 3

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
i really hope there is zero chance strome makes the team. the kid is developing wonderfully. Keep him in niagra and let him lead the CHL in scoring. Nino is at a PPG after 33 games played in the AHL...cant ask for more after one point for the entire season last year. Leave him be.

And for anyone who states that Niagra won't be making the playoffs so his season will end early, he can (and probably will) be traded to another OHL team who is in playoff contention, a la Taveras in his last Jr. year.

Is it possible to sign him to a ATO in Bridgeport if he somehow doesn't get traded to another Jr. team, or is he still too young? I know he's still 19, but he will be 20 before next season. Does that allow him to play in Bridgeport this season to help in the Soundtigers playoff run?

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
And for anyone who states that Niagra won't be making the playoffs so his season will end early, he can (and probably will) be traded to another OHL team who is in playoff contention, a la Taveras in his last Jr. year.

Is it possible to sign him to a ATO in Bridgeport if he somehow doesn't get traded to another Jr. team, or is he still too young? I know he's still 19, but he will be 20 before next season. Does that allow him to play in Bridgeport this season to help in the Soundtigers playoff run?

Once a player from juniors season is over they can play in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad