Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs finally gave up on Charlie Stephens this season, and they're might cut Mikhail Kuleshov loose as well. Kuleshov has looked decent in his short time with the club so far, playing like he knows this is his last chance. But it might be too little, too late.

The guy I have serious doubts about now is Marek Svatos. He looked so impressive in camp and the preseason I thought he'd make our 3rd line a force to be reckoned with. It's not a matter of talent or tenacity--he has both in spades--but his durability is a serious issue. His shoulder has had two major reconstructions inside of a year's time. I'm not too optimistic on his return to full health.

thestonedkoala

BlackJack21 said:
BTW, I wont be surprised if he starts next year in the AHL...

BJ21

I don't think he can without passing through waivers

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Much too early to write Krahn off especially with his injuries. He has a great last half last season and seems to be doing alright in his first pro year. He's definitely a long term project but he has the size and athletic ability to become a great NHLer. Look for the Flames goaltending coach David Marcoux to really help Krahn develop over the next couple years. It will really help him when we can get our own farm club so he can get more guaranteed starts.
I agree. I would never count out a goaltender until he's well into his 20's because there is just so much to learn at that position.

vega007

As a Calgary fan I am concerned as to why you consider Eric Nystrom to have gone down in stock. Personally I think he has developed leaps and bounds. I just like to watch alot of college hockey.

I am wondering what makes you say that?

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Kris Beech

I'm gonna give him one more year, but I can't really argue with that.....since aquired for Jagr, he has just not been able to get it together in the NHL (partially due to limited chances)....though he was ok in his first year I'm starting to think he may never get out of the AHL....

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
vega007 said:
Guys who played junior in Calgary also were drafted high and became big disappointments.....not only Krahn but Kris Beech someone mentioned earlier and how about Pavel Brendl.....he looked like a future 50+ goal scorer in the NHL, then got lazy and go sent down.....now he's injured....he's a guy who will get traded every year for his entire career....consider the fact that he was drafted by the Rangers 4th overall...

There have been very few Hitmen players over the years I've thought were can't miss NHLers. Brad Stuart, Matt Pettinger (was borderline in my mind), Ryan Getzlaf, and Andrew Ladd.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
X-SHARKIE said:
Have you seen Brad Boyes play this year hahahaahha...56 points in 56 games, he's 4th in the AHL in scoring, he's much grittier now and competitive. His game has improved 10 fold. I cant believe Boyes is in this conversation.

Watch before you judge.

Read my second post...

The Jerk*

Caniacforever said:
PAVEL BRENDL 18 5 3 8 0 8

It looks as if he's turning the corner actually, before this latest injury on a pretty questionable hit from McCabe .......

I'm just wondering what part of the hit you found questionable?? The fact that he got hurt does not mean the hit was questionable, quite clean

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Reign Nateo said:
He is also soft and way too skinny to play in the NHL. I've watched Beech since he was 16 and I was absolutley shocked that he was a 1st round pick, nevermind 7th overall. He never should have been picked that high in my opinion.

He bulked up quite considerably this season, and added a decent physical game under Michel Therrien. I think he added something 15lbs to his playing weight, which is now around 205lbs.

His physical game isn't his no.1 shortcoming. Consistency and execution is. He has shown the ability to dominate in the AHL, only to then go through a 4 or 5 game patch where he does nothing. Also as I said, an appendectomy, a punctured lung and a broken collar bone in the span of twelve months doesn't help either.

ADD: Thought I'd add this on Kris Beech; a few reports on him during Pens training camp

http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=17
In addition the producing a goal and 2 assists and finishing most of his checks, Beech is apparently becoming a pretty good agitator. Beech ticked of Meloche by going hard to the net, bumping the goalie and laughing about it. Beech is beginning develop a Barnaby-esque smile that is almost always on his face. In addition, to Meloche he also had several other players irritated with him in both games. He got under Drake Berehowsky's skin so bad that Berehowsky knocked his helmet off his head and pushed him a couple more times. Beech never backed away, but it was very clear he wasn't going to drop his gloves first either. Berehowsky never dropped his, although McKenna and Buchberger did separate the two before it escalated any further.

http://letsgopens.com/camp_reports.php?id=16
Kris Beech appears to be playing with a little more edge this year. He finishes more checks and is going into traffic more

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Shocking that no one has mentioned Milan Kraft... considering how he was once hyped as the next Czech Hope. To see him now, one wonders what anyone ever saw...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
vik said:
I'm just wondering what part of the hit you found questionable?? The fact that he got hurt does not mean the hit was questionable, quite clean

It's the same logistics behind the reason that people thought the Scott Stevens on Shane Willis was questionable. The hit was about as clean as it gets, but both hits occured in the neutral zone with less than 3 seconds remaining in the period. The only differance, the Stevens hit was in a playoff game. This one occured in the regular season. There was no reason at all for either hit to occur other than to hurt somebody. Neither were in position to score.

However, it can be argued that the Stevens hit was more hanus due to the fact it was at the end of the game. McCabe's hit came at the end of the 2nd period. I still feel it was in poor taste to hit a player that hard in the waining seconds of a period when he isn't in position to score. I'd be saying the same thing if Brendl had drilled McCabe.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
Caniacforever said:
It's the same logistics behind the reason that people thought the Scott Stevens on Shane Willis was questionable. The hit was about as clean as it gets, but both hits occured in the neutral zone with less than 3 seconds remaining in the period. The only differance, the Stevens hit was in a playoff game. This one occured in the regular season. There was no reason at all for either hit to occur other than to hurt somebody. Neither were in position to score.

However, it can be argued that the Stevens hit was more hanus due to the fact it was at the end of the game. McCabe's hit came at the end of the 2nd period. I still feel it was in poor taste to hit a player that hard in the waining seconds of a period when he isn't in position to score. I'd be saying the same thing if Brendl had drilled McCabe.

Go play soccer then.

People complain of lack of insensity and then when someone does play hard and intense for the whole game with no excuses they are told to back off.

Its easy to say its just the last few seconds take it easy, but just one little excuse like that can ruin a mindset of a player. He starts making other excuses to lay off, say there are down a few goals, or up, whatever the reason...

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Ivan Huml has been a dissapointment this year, the clock is ticking on him. Hilbert has been plagued by injuries so it is hard to judge. Luca Cereda and Peter Svboda for the Leafs stand out.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
MentalPowerHouse said:
Go play soccer then.

People complain of lack of insensity and then when someone does play hard and intense for the whole game with no excuses they are told to back off.

Its easy to say its just the last few seconds take it easy, but just one little excuse like that can ruin a mindset of a player. He starts making other excuses to lay off, say there are down a few goals, or up, whatever the reason...

I'm not against physical play. I'm simply against unsportsmanlike physical play. That's exactly what I thought it was and if that isn't your opinion then you're entitled to that also. To tell a person to, "Go play soccer" as a response to what they deem a dirty play is simply ridiculous. I'd rather you explain your point in a way that was constructive than to toss me a one liner. The post without that first line is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad