Prospects that have gone down hill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Not really, he has regressed badly from his freshman year and if Lemaire/Co don't give him more ice time and just throw him out there to figure out where he wants to go, I don't know if he's even really going to pan out the way we want.

The guy is freaking tiny! He needs to grow some balls and just rough it out.

He went down from .4 points a game to .33 points a game...not a lot but still signficant because he ain't getting any playing time and if he continues it'll drop down to .28 almost half of last year.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
I would say that Komisarek has lost a little of his lustre. He will play a regular shift in the NHL, probably as a top 4 defenceman, but all that hype about being the Next Scott Stevens sounds like, well, hype.

He has questionable hockey sense and poor stickhandling. He is reputed to be a big hitter, but he often just runs around shoving people. He is pretty easily exploited along the boards down low. He seems to lack the foot-speed to maintain good defensive coverage, and he doesn't yet understand positioning well enough to compensate.

Anyway, much too early to tell for certain, as he is a big man playing a difficult position. He's a project with lots of upside, but I think we can safely ignore those delirious predictions about him being a perennial Norris contender.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yep, a year ago, comaring Brooks Orpik with Mike Komisarek was a sure way to get yourself flamed by not only Habs fans but by pretty much everyone here.
Now a year later...
They both look to be at around the same level, with a slight edge to Orpik.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Not really, he has regressed badly from his freshman year and if Lemaire/Co don't give him more ice time and just throw him out there to figure out where he wants to go, I don't know if he's even really going to pan out the way we want.

The guy is freaking tiny! He needs to grow some balls and just rough it out.

He went down from .4 points a game to .33 points a game...not a lot but still signficant because he ain't getting any playing time and if he continues it'll drop down to .28 almost half of last year.

All I'm saying is the guy is very young, still learning, growing, maturing. I imagine Lemaire is a tough coach to play for in that he's not saying, "just go out there and score Butch." There are the defensive expectations, the system, which is probably a lot for young guys to handle.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Evilo said:
Yep, a year ago, comaring Brooks Orpik with Mike Komisarek was a sure way to get yourself flamed by not only Habs fans but by pretty much everyone here.
Now a year later...
They both look to be at around the same level, with a slight edge to Orpik.
It's easier for Orpik he has a regular spot on his team. However Komisarek has more upside simply because he's not just about his size and hitting.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
oil slick said:
Barry Fraser was the guy who was in charge of that mess. Mind you, he also drafted Lowe, Messier, Anderson, Kurri, Coffey, Moog, Fuhr, which weren't the worst selections ever I guess.

Just wondering, whether Matti Väisänen leaving the Oilers scouting staff in 1990 had anything to do with the crappy picks of the 90's??

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
jcpenny said:
It's easier for Orpik he has a regular spot on his team. However Komisarek has more upside simply because he's not just about his size and hitting.
Easier on the Pens? I don't think so.
Orpik is all about hitting, intimidation, size and defensive rock.
Komisarek might have a better offensive upside, but I don't think he'll reach Orpik's defensive level.
I'd take Orpik right now, or at least they're at the same level.
Once again, who thought that on this site a year ago?

xxIn_Flamesxx

eric nystrom

is it fair to say nystrom is a bust for Calgary? The guys totals have dropped for his third straight year at the college level.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Just a little reminder...

One year ago today Rick Dipietro would have been on half of your lists. Now he's probably NYI's most valuable player and is showing true superstar potential, stealing games for his team and stopping the leagues best snipers on Grade A scoring chances.

When you are talking busts, don't be too quick to write off guys like Dipietro, especially goaltenders.

Guys like Chistov, even perhaps Boyes are still good prospects.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Some names that come to mind are

Luca Cereda - Drafted 24th overall by Toronto in 1999

Mikko Koivu - Drafted 6th overall by Minnesota in 2001, doesnt look like hes making the trip overt the pond anytime soon..

Kris Beech - Drafted 7th overall by Pittsburgh in 1999

Brent Krahn - Drafted 9th overall by Calgary in 2000

Dan Blackburn - Drafted 10th overall by NY Rangers in 2001, looked like he was gonna be huge, but now is nothing more then a 2nd string goalie at most IMO

X-SHARKIE

Koivu has yet to play in the NHL. I think he has some obligations over there though.... His skating needs to improve.
He's one of the smarter players though, he's never a liability out there, a great defensive minded player....He has some of the most beutifull passes i've ever seen!

He'll be a great 2nd line center....Helping others be great players.

He's the classic example of a player who makes others better.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
#2 said:

Dan Blackburn - Drafted 10th overall by NY Rangers in 2001, looked like he was gonna be huge, but now is nothing more then a 2nd string goalie at most IMO

Name five goalies who were bonafide #1 starters before they were 25...

Ejh18

Mar 3, 2003
Columbus
Visit site
icarus said:

Marc Denis
JS Giguere
Martin Broduer
Roberto Luongo
Patty Roy

Not sure what you mean by Bonafide, what your definition is, but all these guys were/are starting by the time they are 25 or so. Didnt check the dates exactly, but went off of 1st season of starting full-time and their age... so it should be within 6-12 months.

But I see your point. Just answering the challenge. :p

Blackburn is 20. That should end the discussion.

Last edited:

Sammy*

icarus said:
Brodeur, Biron, Roy, Theodore, Giguere, Barraso, Hextall ...
The list goes on & on.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Sammy said:
Brodeur, Biron, Roy, Theodore, Giguere, Barraso, Hextall ...
The list goes on & on.

On & on does it? Wow, the number of goalies who #1 before they were 25 is overwhelming! :rolleyes: The fact that your initial list of seven includes three guys who debuted in the eighties illustrates my point, I think.

There are probably five or six goalies (Denis, Giguere, Brodeur, Theodore, Luongo, and maybe someone else--not Biron) currently in this league of thirty teams who fit this mould. Thus, the lesson here is it's premature to call 20- and 21-year-old goalies busts when you can't really get an accurate read on their careers for at least five more years. :teach:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
#2 said:
Some names that come to mind are

Luca Cereda - Drafted 24th overall by Toronto in 1999

Mikko Koivu - Drafted 6th overall by Minnesota in 2001, doesnt look like hes making the trip overt the pond anytime soon..

Kris Beech - Drafted 7th overall by Pittsburgh in 1999

Too early to say on any of those guys although one could make an argument against Cereda because of his operations and such.

Gotta give all of these guys are few more years, too early to be calling any of them busts or to be saying they won't hit their upside.

Sammy*

icarus said:
On & on does it? Wow, the number of goalies who #1 before they were 25 is overwhelming! :rolleyes: The fact that your initial list of seven includes three guys who debuted in the eighties illustrates my point, I think.

There are probably five or six goalies (Denis, Giguere, Brodeur, Theodore, Luongo, and maybe someone else--not Biron) currently in this league of thirty teams who fit this mould. Thus, the lesson here is it's premature to call 20- and 21-year-old goalies busts when you can't really get an accurate read on their careers for at least five more years. :teach:
I dont disagree with your last point but you did ask to name five goalies who were bonafide #1 starters before they were 25... . Geez, if I wanted to go back at all over the course of time you could find lots more. That was my only point.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
I was going to say Craig Hillier but someone mentioned him so how about....

Alexandre Volchkov

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
How about Ryan Barnes? Hasn't really been a bust, but hasn't gotten a chance to play, except one game. Hard to break the Redwings lineup unless you are european by the looks of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad