Prospects and Marlies Thread February 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
MARLIES VS AMERKS - 7:30

Toronto Marlies @TorontoMarlies
Catch tonight's #Marlies vs. #Amerks game at 7:35pm live on Marlies Radio :: *******/1PyGDsn #MarliesLive
-------------------------------------
Todd Crocker @HockeyCrock
Alex Stalock gets the start in goal tonight with a 3 in 3 weekend. 2-0 in the AHL this year. #marlieslive pic.twitter.com/4pnSbzEvzk
-------------------------------------
AHL LIVE! GAME PAGE LINK --> http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php
------------------------------------
Toronto Marlies @TorontoMarlies
It's time for another edition of 20 Questions! This time with the one and only Frederik Gauthier:

Frederik Gauthier Goal - March 1, 2016

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Would also add gauthier or connor brown to that list.

Maybe next year. For now, I see Gauthier and Brown sticking around for a while. That is unless we get a really nice price for them (but that applies to pretty much every prospect).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We should either trade or not sign Piccinich. He's not really worth the contract spot.

We'll probably trade him then. Maybe do a prospect swap with another team. Trade him and one of Cameranesi or Herzog for Vesey. Something like that. Nashville does lack RW prospects, but are deep on the LW. Piccinich and Herzog would really help them out there.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
We'll probably trade him then. Maybe do a prospect swap with another team. Trade him and one of Cameranesi or Herzog for Vesey. Something like that. Nashville does lack RW prospects, but are deep on the LW. Piccinich and Herzog would really help them out there.
Non-prospects. Nobody wants this garbage.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Non-prospects. Nobody wants this garbage.

Have you even seen Herzog or Cameranesi play? Or even Piccinich for that matter?

On some teams, these guys would be coveted. Just because we are deep and don't need them, doesn't mean other teams feel the same way.

We don't have garbage prospects in this organization any more. We sold all of them off in numerous trades over the past year. We got rid of most of our garbage at the NHL level too.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
We should either trade or not sign Piccinich. He's not really worth the contract spot.

Tough crowd. No love for Piccinich, who would have expected that from a Windsor fan. :sarcasm:

Piccinich has actually done pretty well for getting mostly 2nd line minutes.

While Marner was away at WJC, Piccinich had 5G 7A 12Pts in 9 games for 1.333 ppg while he saw more ice.

Not bad & good enough to keep as a prospect who is still only 19 years old.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I don't think Hunter agrees (This is Dale though, not Mark).

Not every prospect needs to be a high end one. Piccinich isn't 20 years old yet. I think he could be at least a solid player for the Marlies. Let's not forget there will be many graduations over the next year or two to the Leafs, so the Marlies will need depth and more players.

I won't lose sleep over him either way but we have more than enough contract spots for now. I'm not sure why he gets no love, but a prospect like Rupert was beloved by so many.

Last edited:

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I just don't any upside at all. I really don't think it would be better... at best it's a lateral move. But that's my opinion. There's a reason why it's never been done before, probably because it's just not that good of an option.

Never say never ;) : Nikolai Goldobin was a 1st rd pick by the Sharks in 2014 (although he was an import in the CHL)

Is there any reason that Marner couldn't begin next season in London (~ 30 games) until the World Juniors, lead Team Canada against the very best same-age competition in the world, and then play out the remainder of the season with the Leafs?

Once Marner is sent down to the OHL, he can't be recalled until his OHL team's season is over.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
If your choice is sitting for games or ohl which would you prefer?

Probably OHL, even though I think that would be useless for Marner as well. In an ideal situation he cracks our roster and plays sheltered minutes, slowly gaining responsibilities as his comfort level and confidence increase.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I don't think Hunter agrees (This is Dale though, not Mark).

Not every prospect needs to be a high end one. Piccinich isn't 20 years old yet. I think he could be at least a solid player for the Marlies. Let's not forget there will be many graduations over the next year or two to the Leafs, so the Marlies will need depth and more players.

I won't lose sleep over him either way but we have more than enough contract spots for now. I'm not sure why he gets no love, but a prospect like Rupert was beloved by so many.

I agree, He's only 19 and isn't close to being finished developmentally. With how much turnover the Marlies are going to be experience in the very near future, there is no harm in keeping him at least as a warm body.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Marlies lose 2 in a row.

The farm team got worse with the best 5 forwards being called up, yet the big team not ready to win yet :(.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Tough crowd. No love for Piccinich, who would have expected that from a Windsor fan. :sarcasm:

Piccinich has actually done pretty well for getting mostly 2nd line minutes.

While Marner was away at WJC, Piccinich had 5G 7A 12Pts in 9 games for 1.333 ppg while he saw more ice.

Not bad & good enough to keep as a prospect who is still only 19 years old.

Has nothing to do with being a Windsor fan. I'm a Leafs fan, and he's our draftee. I just don't see a future for him. He's not that good. Like, at all.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Probably OHL, even though I think that would be useless for Marner as well. In an ideal situation he cracks our roster and plays sheltered minutes, slowly gaining responsibilities as his comfort level and confidence increase.
Fair enough. I think getting a game or 2 a week in the nhl and practicing with the team and Babcock would be better, but that's just my opinion.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Marlies lose 2 in a row.

The farm team got worse with the best 5 forwards being called up, yet the big team not ready to win yet :(.

Also missing out on the services of Carrick.

The last Leafs game are scheduled to be April 9, leaving the Albany game (Apr 10), the Hartford game (Apr 13) and the Rochester double header (Apr 16+17) as games the kids could potentially play for the Marlies before the start of the AHL playoffs. I'm under the thinking that management would rest them, at the very least for the Albany game. On the other hand, they could send them down after the 9 games are up. Nevertheless, it does mean that the Marlies' single most winningest season record is in jeopardy.

As for Nylander--he seems to be getting better and better each game. He still tries to thread passes between guys' legs and sticks and what-have-you, but he plays puts in an honest 200ft effort each night. In several instances, either due to bad ice or his teammate being unaware or just plain missing, Nylander's made some great passes. iirc, this situation reminds me of Kadri when he first played for the Leafs, except Nylander kicks his butt on the dot and in the skating game.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Have you even seen Herzog or Cameranesi play? Or even Piccinich for that matter?

On some teams, these guys would be coveted. Just because we are deep and don't need them, doesn't mean other teams feel the same way.

We don't have garbage prospects in this organization any more. We sold all of them off in numerous trades over the past year. We got rid of most of our garbage at the NHL level too.

Would you consider 2014 draftees guys from a prior era? Piccinich's one of them and his skills lead me to believe that he'll be a depth guy in the NHL, though it hasn't been more than 2 years since he was drafted. I mean, we could very well have garbage prospects in the organization as the theme with Hunter's picks is that the team swung for the fences. A guy like Timashov might have benefited from play time with Quebec's top line for instance and is struggling to outplay his Shawinigan teammates.

Though I like the picks made, it's quite premature to say that we don't have garbage prospects any more. Verhaeghe could very well make a name for himself in the NHL, same thing with Gibson

LoneWolf

Dec 11, 2015
I would like to see Herzog develop in the leafs system next year, he played like a grown man the few games he got with the marlies in the 13/14 season, I think the talent is there. Now with the prospect of drafting his star linemate Austin Matthews it may be of value to keep him around for the chemistry. I guess I like seeing the underdog prospects develop and break boundaries just as much as the "shiny new object" prospects.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Piccinich can return to the Knights next season and play a big role on the top line, likely with Max Jones and Cliff Pu

Cliff Pu is a guy I want badly. He's going to break out next season. Save This Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce