TSN: Prospect trade: Rieder (EDM) for Kessy (PHO)

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
I have never seen Kessy play but I love Rieder. As rt said, don't look into his point regression too much. He plays a reat two-way game and has slick hands. I really like his offensive upside. He has a ton of skill. He instantly becomes one of our top prospects.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tobias Rieder didn’t wait long to impress his new club.

The Kitchener Rangers centre had his best playoff game this year mere hours after learning that his NHL rights had been traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the Phoenix Coyotes.

Rieder potted his first goal of the post-season and added three assists to lead the Rangers to a 4-2 victory against the Guelph Storm Friday night at the Aud. With the win, Kitchener ousted the Storm from the playoffs by taking the OHL western conference quarter-final best-of-seven series in five games.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/ran...r-leads-rangers-into-second-round-of-playoffs

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I liked Kessy. Sad to see him go. Played extremely well in a televised game months ago but just seemed to disappear offensively at times. Projected as a 4th liner; maybe a 3rd. Appealing physical package but with questionable foot speed. Tough, tough competitor though. We gave up some grit.

I harken back to maloney a comments about drafting/focusing on centers due to their versatility/ability to play out of position. That coupled with our obvious forward skill issues makes the trade easily understandable. Sounds like a Lombardi clone.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Originally Posted by dnicks17
Rieder is 5'11'' 190lbs, can play C, RW or LW, is one of the best goal scorers in the OHL and one of the best two-way players/PKers in the OHL.

And we traded him for Kessy because he's big and can fight. That's basically all Kessy has going for him. He's got average puck skills among WHLers and awful skating.

Good post on the oilers board. You won this trade.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Rieder scored 113 G in 34 GP as a 15 year old!!!

... in the german 16y.o. league but still :).

Anyway, seems as if Oilers and Reider were not on the same page and in that respect this trade makes sense. Otherwise it's a loss for the Oilers imo.

Full disclosure: I'm an Oilers supporter.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm getting over my disappointment of dealing Kessy. I've come to terms that it is much easier to fill out the 4th line grinder role through waivers/free agency than to acquire a potential 2nd line center.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He's shown on the Kitchener roster as RW. Can anyone confirm that he's been playing that position consistently?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
He's shown on the Kitchener roster as RW. Can anyone confirm that he's been playing that position consistently?

I haven't seen him in the playoffs.. But he's been playing center most of the year to try and get the team scoring.

You guys robbed the Oilers.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Sounds like his upside is a potential Jochen Hecht?

I'd say his upside is more of a hybrid of Jochen Hecht and Marco Sturm, if one wants to stick to German players for comparison.
If he pans out, he should be more of an offensive force than Hecht, and faster as well, although not quite as fast as Sturm was.
From what I have seen of him, he is gritty, works hard, he can rack up points when he has good chemistry with his linemates and he is a dangerous player on the penalty kill.
I really like his play with his backhand. I have seen him score quite a few goals with it, and he's also made some nice backhand passes when I watched him.

I heard from some that he will not make it as a top 6 forward in the NHL, and they could be right, but if he doesn't he could still have value as a 3rd line winger or center who excels on the pk and provides some secondary scoring.

I know nothing about Kessy so I won't try to say who won or lost the trade, but I think that Phoenix got themselves a pretty good prospect. Now it will be interesting to see how they develop him.

coyotes

Mar 8, 2013
I'm getting over my disappointment of dealing Kessy. I've come to terms that it is much easier to fill out the 4th line grinder role through waivers/free agency than to acquire a potential 2nd line center.

That is my feeling exactly! It's much easier to fill Kessy's role and Rieder has more upside.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
Hopefully he does so well we fall in love with Germans and draft Leon Draisaitl.

Wouldn't we love that? Draisaitl is a gem. Once this kid hits his stride (read: improves his skating), he could become the best German to play in the NHL.

We might have to suck for another year to pick him in the 2014 entry draft, though. ;)

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Wouldn't we love that? Draisaitl is a gem. Once this kid hits his stride (read: improves his skating), he could become the best German to play in the NHL.

We might have to suck for another year to pick him in the 2014 entry draft, though. ;)

I thought he was '13 eligible, he's a '95 born player. I could be wrong. He's the first name that popped up in my head when thinking of who to draft with the 3rd rounder we got for Raffi.

Nope, wrong player.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I don't care at all about his skating stride. It's ugly but it works. I'd take him 8th overall in this draft, if he were eligible.

1. Jones
2. MacKinnon
3. Drouin
4. Lindholm
5. Barkov
6. Monahan
7. Shinkaruk
8. Draisaitl

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kessy has continued to score goals in the postseason, did any of you have any hopes of him being more than a 4th line player at the NHL level in time?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kessy has continued to score goals in the postseason, did any of you have any hopes of him being more than a 4th line player at the NHL level in time?

Not really. Maybe a Kyle Clifford type that can get away with spot duty on a higher line. That said; anyone who can be that much of a bad-a and still skate at least a regular fourth line shift, is going to be a valuable player. There aren't a ton of menaces like him that are capable of skating ten minutes a night for their NHL club without hurting chances of winning. He's probably got that kind of potential. Regular shift wrecking ball. They're more rare than most people realize.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not really. Maybe a Kyle Clifford type that can get away with spot duty on a higher line. That said; anyone who can be that much of a bad-a and still skate at least a regular fourth line shift, is going to be a valuable player. There aren't a ton of menaces like him that are capable of skating ten minutes a night for their NHL club without hurting chances of winning. He's probably got that kind of potential. Regular shift wrecking ball. They're more rare than most people realize.

Thanks, a Kyle Clifford clone would be great for us. That is actually the guy that I was hoping that he'd be the most similar to. As to the bolded I couldn't agree more, as an Oilers fan I'm tired of soft players or 2 minute a night guys that can only fight. If Kessy can get to where you project his upside and Mitch Moroz can be a similar player we are a much harder team to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad