Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Just a heads up, Sorokin WILL be starting in net for Russia tonight at 7pm vs the Czechs. Our first chance to watch him live and see what our scouts saw in him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just a heads up, Sorokin WILL be starting in net for Russia tonight at 7pm vs the Czechs. Our first chance to watch him live and see what our scouts saw in him.

Scott, I know I don't have to say it but I will anyway...

A scouting report after the game will be needed!!!

Thanks

scott99

May 13, 2005
Scott, I know I don't have to say it but I will anyway...

A scouting report after the game will be needed!!!

Thanks

0-0 after the first period. At one point the color guy said Sorokin has been the best player on the ice, and at the end of the 1st, he said the two best players on the ice have been the goalies. Sorokin is pretty darn fast side to side and very fast with his pads, some great kick saves in a 4 shot flurry. The 4 th shot he got lucky when the Czech Vrana, had an open net but shot it into a Russian dmans leg. Overall, I can't help but be excited, they color man seems to be extremely impressed by Sorokin. Seems good with rebound control despite that 4 shot flurry that started with a high shot. He is definitely a butterfly style goalie.

In other news, the cream rises to the top, as Buchnevich, Vrana, Pastrnak and Babrbashev have been causing havoc in each other's offensive zones. Czech dmen seem very big.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
0-0 after the first period. At one point the color guy said Sorokin has been the best player on the ice, and at the end of the 1st, he said the two best players on the ice have been the goalies. Sorokin is pretty darn fast side to side and very fast with his pads, some great kick saves in a 4 shot flurry. The 4 th shot he got lucky when the Czech Vrana, had an open net but shot it into a Russian dmans leg. Overall, I can't help but be excited, they color man seems to be extremely impressed by Sorokin. Seems good with rebound control despite that 4 shot flurry that started with a high shot. He is definitely a butterfly style goalie.

In other news, the cream rises to the top, as Buchnevich, Vrana, Pastrnak and Babrbashev have been causing havoc in each other's offensive zones. Czech dmen seem very big.
thanks scott!!

scott99

May 13, 2005
The Russians TOTALLY dominated the 2nd period with the 1st line accounting for 2 of their 3 goals. It 3-0 Russia after 2. Sorokin didn't face that much rubber in the 2nd period like he did in the 1st, but he made a spectacular sliding save on an open net chance by a Czech winger. Not the greatest shot in that Sorokin came over so fast and hard, he stopped the shot with his glove and neck (smothering his glove against his chest and neck if that makes sense). Kinda like an outfielder getting TOO good of a jump, he almost over runs a fly ball, Sorokin almost had to contort to make the spectacular save. I did notice he gave up more rebounds than in the first where he was making a lot of first saves, but he did make a nice stop on a Czech power play where he stopped the puck through a screen leaving no rebound. He is a calm, cool netminder.

The Czech goalie has been quite impressive too, Miroslav Svoboda, a 6'2" 2015 draft elgible.

Barbashev, Tkachev and Buchnevich look really good, I can see why Barbashev went in the 1st round, excellent all around talent, and Buchnevich looks really good too, 6'2" and has an extra gear speed wise, excellent passer. He's gonna be a steal for the Rangers (3rd round pick, we took Eamon Mcadam instead of him).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
How does sorokin look size wise? He plays low on the ice like Quick. Does he leave much room open on the top shelves?

scott99

May 13, 2005
5-0 Final for Russia, Sorokin with the shutout. Russia really dominated, Barbashev with 2 goals, Buchnevich with at least 2 assists, and the little pest Tkachev with some assists and some great passing. Zykov scored on a pretty passing play. Overall fun to watch though the feed through Fasthockey was spotty at best. Bottom line, Sorokin was very impressive, made some BIG saves when he had to, kept the game scoreless until Russia finally got their speed game going. Couldn't have wrote a better script, what more could you want for your first glimpse of a goalie draft pick, getting a shutout was quite impressive. Hopefully this firmly plants Sorokin in the starting goalie slot for Russia in the WJHC in December/January.

scott99

May 13, 2005
How does sorokin look size wise? He plays low on the ice like Quick. Does he leave much room open on the top shelves?

He does seem to play low like Quick. They list him at 6'2", but I've seen him listed at 6'0". The Czech goalie Svoboda is listed as 6'2", and when they shook hands, they did kinda look the same height. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is 6'1".

He may leave room in the top, but he seems big enough and fast enough to move in position to stop those high shots.

scott99

May 13, 2005
A Panther's fan wrote this in the Prospect board:

This Russian goaltender is really good. No flopping, calm, cool. I like him.

Nice to see other people were as impressed as I was.

One last note, today was Sorokin's 19th birthday. So when his contract runs out, he'll be 22. Hopefully he's the anti-Petrov and will want to come over to the NHL. Also Halak will be 32 and his contract will almost be up.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Hopefully this firmly plants Sorokin in the starting goalie slot for Russia in the WJHC in December/January.

Thanks for all the reporting Scott.

I think there's gonna be a lot of hockey until December, but it's definitely not too shabby to see him do well at this point in time. Heck, that he's even there with the program is a darn good sign.

Of course, if he's sitting on the bench all fall at the KHL level, that would not be a very good scenario. At the moment, it looks like it might be likely.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Thanks for all the reporting Scott.

I think there's gonna be a lot of hockey until December, but it's definitely not too shabby to see him do well at this point in time. Heck, that he's even there with the program is a darn good sign.

Of course, if he's sitting on the bench all fall at the KHL level, that would not be a very good scenario. At the moment, it looks like it might be likely.

Can I ask what you are referring to? It looks like he split starts with the other goalie on his team last year despite being four years younger. What makes you think it's likely Sorokin will ride the pine?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can I ask what you are referring to? It looks like he split starts with the other goalie on his team last year despite being four years younger. What makes you think it's likely Sorokin will ride the pine?

Now that you mention it, that's my doubting Thomas speaking more than anything else.

KHL teams hoping to compete just don't seem to hand much responsibility to a young goalie over the long course of a season, especially when the going gets rough.

I just don't believe Sorokin will be given the playing time he got lost season until I see it.

Ace88*

How do we feel about Anders Lee going into this season? What do you think his role and production will look like?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
How do we feel about Anders Lee going into this season? What do you think his role and production will look like?

I think the general consensus is that he should be here, but with the amount of bodies he might be the odd man out... at least for the start of the year.

I hope that's not the case, but unless a guy like Bailey or Grabner is moved, or someone goes down in camp, Lee will probably be in Bridgeport. If and when he makes it though, I'm guessing he'll be in the top-six, and that he'll get 2nd unit PP time at worst. Personally, I'd like to see him on the top unit with Tavares and Co. Stick him in front of the net and let him clean up.

Hopefully he plays well enough in camp to force the coaching staff's hand. I want him on the team, and his production last season should have at least warranted him realistic shot to make the team.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think the general consensus is that he should be here, but with the amount of bodies he might be the odd man out... at least for the start of the year.

I hope that's not the case, but unless a guy like Bailey or Grabner is moved, or someone goes down in camp, Lee will probably be in Bridgeport. If and when he makes it though, I'm guessing he'll be in the top-six, and that he'll get 2nd unit PP time at worst. Personally, I'd like to see him on the top unit with Tavares and Co. Stick him in front of the net and let him clean up.

Hopefully he plays well enough in camp to force the coaching staff's hand. I want him on the team, and his production last season should have at least warranted him realistic shot to make the team.

I'd love to see bailey traded, and Nelson, Strome and Lee be put on one of the top 3 lines. Strome on the 2nd line w/Grabovski and Kulemin, Nelson w/Tavares and Okposo, and Lee w/Nielsen and Grabner. Lee had good chemistry w/Nielsen late last year.

scott99

May 13, 2005
BTW, Dal Colle will NOT be in the lineup tonight against the Czechs. Team Canada has SO many players at camp, they split up into Team A and Team B, Dal Colle is on Team B on Bo Horvat's line (2nd line I believe). He will be in the lineup Wednesday vs Russia.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
BTW, Dal Colle will NOT be in the lineup tonight against the Czechs. Team Canada has SO many players at camp, they split up into Team A and Team B, Dal Colle is on Team B on Bo Horvat's line (2nd line I believe). He will be in the lineup Wednesday vs Russia.

Dumb

scott99

May 13, 2005
Cammarata was cut from the US WJC development team. Great pick Garth !!

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Cammarata was cut from the US WJC development team. Great pick Garth !!

I still don't hate the pick. He did well last year in MInnesota. He scores at every single level he plays and he scores in years that impress <18 in USHL and as a true freshman in Minnesota. He's a sneaky little **** and somehow finds a way to get it done.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I still don't hate the pick. He did well last year in MInnesota. He scores at every single level he plays and he scores in years that impress <18 in USHL and as a true freshman in Minnesota. He's a sneaky little **** and somehow finds a way to get it done.

Yet he can't make the WJHC US team in his pre-draft, post draft and post draft +1 seasons. It's ok to be 5'6" 160 and talented, but if you have no speed, the highest level this kid MAY dominate is in college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad