Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I said I thought Hamonic played pretty poorly last year as well, and all of this year, not just 2 months. He's not playing anywhere near where he was playing as a rookie. That in itself scares me.

You are throwing around the word GREAT with CDH, that's a little ridiculous. He's played 30 some odd NHL games. I wouldn't say 30+ games in the NHL vindicates the assets used to trade up to get him, just yet. Things I DO like about him, and if he continues doing them, will surely prove me wrong, are that despite his injury history, and seemingly slight build, he's been a more than willing hitter, in fact, I've seen him deck some guys bigger than him. Also his skating and hockey sense seem to be his calling card, seems to skate out of trouble in a phone booth, and make smart passes. Been very impressed with his confidence and his jumping into the play. BUT, blinkman360, it's WAY too early to annoint him a complete success. Let me see him play a couple of FULL (at least 2) seasons at a high level. I'm rooting for the kid, I felt bad about all of his injuries, I watched him paired with Hamonic at the WJHC in 2010. Once someone gets drafted by the Isles, whether I like the pick or not, I always root for them to become great. Because I'm an Islander's fan first.

I think a lot of Hamonic's struggles last year had to do with coming off of two injuries. I'm pretty sure he suffered a concussion during the lockout and then dealt with a lingering ankle injury throughout the year. It was clear though late in the season that he returned to form, and especially in the playoffs. This year, I don't doubt that his poor start had everything to do with him trying to be more offensive. Especially with MacDonald not being able to pick up the slack. Ever since he was paired with de Haan, it seems he went back to his defensive style and you can clearly see the difference in his game. I have zero concern when it comes to Hamonic, outside of his health.

With de Haan, I understand that words like 'great' shouldn't be thrown around until he puts some real NHL time together. That said, I was sold on him after his first week. After 10 games, I was pretty confident that he'll be a fixture in our top-4. Now, after 34, I have no problem penciling him in on our top-pairing going forward. Regardless of how Reinhart develops, IMO CdH is the guy on that left side. You want to see more, I get it, but saying there have been bits of 'horrible play' just couldn't be further from the truth.

Honestly, in a couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised if 12th overall is considered a steal for this guy.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
When you think about it, the pair of Hammer and de Haan really haven't played that many games together. When they were paired up until Hammer was injured the Islanders played their best hockey of the season. The Islanders have plenty of problems, if healthy they are the least of our worries.

CdH and Hamonic was a destined pairing the moment CdH was drafted. Team Canada clearly saw their synergy when they were paired up in the 2010 WJC. Over time and their development, Hamonic skews a little more towards the shut down with 2-way tendencies. CdH is exciting because he has 2-way ability with yet untapped offensive ability. Hamonic has skills, but he's more about brute force than finesse. He's not strong in his 1st pass and chooses to carry the puck into the offensive zone. He doesn't have the offensive instincts or the hands to be a major point producer. Simpler is better with him because when he concentrates on shutting someone down, he's at his best. Removing puck from player through physicality and winning puck battles is his strong suit. Then CdH can start the play the other way, perfect.

CdH has added surprising physicality along with his excellent stick and gap control so Hamonic doesn't have to worry at all about his partner. Even during the short stint we got to see them together, I saw a couple of plays where they were in perfect position to back the other up. CdH went for a hip check and kind of missed, Hamonic was right there to finish the job and separate the puck where CdH took it back the other way. There was another instance when CdH backed up Hamonic and rubbed out the forward for Hamonic to start the play the other way. The just seem to have 'IT' and get eachother. Give them a couple of years together and they can be a backbone type of pairing for a contender.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
CdH and Hamonic was a destined pairing the moment CdH was drafted. Team Canada clearly saw their synergy when they were paired up in the 2010 WJC. Over time and their development, Hamonic skews a little more towards the shut down with 2-way tendencies. CdH is exciting because he has 2-way ability with yet untapped offensive ability. Hamonic has skills, but he's more about brute force than finesse. He's not strong in his 1st pass and chooses to carry the puck into the offensive zone. He doesn't have the offensive instincts or the hands to be a major point producer. Simpler is better with him because when he concentrates on shutting someone down, he's at his best. Removing puck from player through physicality and winning puck battles is his strong suit. Then CdH can start the play the other way, perfect.

CdH has added surprising physicality along with his excellent stick and gap control so Hamonic doesn't have to worry at all about his partner. Even during the short stint we got to see them together, I saw a couple of plays where they were in perfect position to back the other up. CdH went for a hip check and kind of missed, Hamonic was right there to finish the job and separate the puck where CdH took it back the other way. There was another instance when CdH backed up Hamonic and rubbed out the forward for Hamonic to start the play the other way. The just seem to have 'IT' and get eachother. Give them a couple of years together and they can be a backbone type of pairing for a contender.

Keith - Seabrook.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Keith - Seabrook.

Team Canada compared Hamonic to Seabrook in their making of Team Canada special. I forgot who it was who said it (Chiarelli?), but he said Hamonic was a better skater and that he wasn't quite there yet in Seabrook's ability to read the play. It's a pretty decent comparison.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Johansen has 24 goals and 22 assists in 58 games and he doesn't turn 22 until this summer. Sounds pretty damn good to me. Tied for 35th in the league in points and tied for 13th in goals, with JT.

Research is your friend . . .

Didn't realize he had stepped it up so significantly this season. Thanks for researching.

Last season he was atrocious.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Didn't realize he had stepped it up so significantly this season. Thanks for researching.

Last season he was atrocious.

I was under the impression that Snow was really disappointed about not being able to draft Johansen. Is this true?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I was under the impression that Snow was really disappointed about not being able to draft Johansen. Is this true?

I forgot where I read it, but there was a rumor that Snow had his heart set on Johansen to be that big power center to slot behind JT. Johansen was a huge riser in his draft year. When CBJ took him, they 'settled' on Nino.

I'm loving what I'm seeing from Johansen. He could be a Mats Sundin type of center, I think he's going to be the best player from the 2010 Draft when it's all said and done. Crap.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Have to admit, never expected CDH to play the body like he has. They work together beautifully.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Garth was indeed dissapointed about not being able to draft Johansen and settled for Nino, then that explains the Nino trade even more.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
If Garth was indeed dissapointed about not being able to draft Johansen and settled for Nino, then that explains the Nino trade even more.

To bad he didn't settle for Fowler, we could really use a guy like that. Was my favorite player in the draft, and hes my favorite non islander now. Wish we would have drafted him, as they say hindsight is always 20-20.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
To bad he didn't settle for Fowler, we could really use a guy like that. Was my favorite player in the draft, and hes my favorite non islander now. Wish we would have drafted him, as they say hindsight is always 20-20.

Who knows if Fowler would have turned out like he did if he was on the Isles.

I remember the Ducks having a few solid, veteran blueliners at the time (Beauchemin and Lydman).

Who did we have at the time?

The offensively oriented Streit, AMac, and a young Hamonic?

Feel free to correct my memory.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Everytime Karpat plays we should just expect at LEAST an assist for Pokka...lol

How good is that league? Kid is having an excellent year...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Who knows if Fowler would have turned out like he did if he was on the Isles.

I remember the Ducks having a few solid, veteran blueliners at the time (Beauchemin and Lydman).

Who did we have at the time?

The offensively oriented Streit, AMac, and a young Hamonic?

Feel free to correct my memory.

I wanted Fowler as well...I couldn't believe he fell to us all the down to 5 lol...

That's why teams like ANA are so good...Good drafting by them and bad drafting by others...

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Everytime Karpat plays we should just expect at LEAST an assist for Pokka...lol

How good is that league? Kid is having an excellent year...

I'm pretty sure Barkov was top five in Sm-liiga scoring last year and now he is Florida's top center and is developing into a stud two-way guy.

Pokka's production is definitely encouraging. I wonder if he comes over this summer or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad