Prospect Info: Prospect Poll: NYR Prospect #8

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pretty simple. Skjei already put on 10 pounds of muscle while Nieves did absolutely nothing in the off-season to get strong. I like Nieves but he failed miserably in the off-season to get in better shape. Kristo over Skjei is laughable.

Where did you read Boo failed to gain weight? And gaining weight is not necessarily the same as getting in better shape.

Kristo is further developed and a very good prospect in his own right. Some people may value that more than pure upside. They were picked less than 30 spots apart overall. I wouldn't rank Kristo over Skjei, but it's not laughable. Different people use different criteria in ranking prospects.

Green Blob*

Pretty simple. Skjei already put on 10 pounds of muscle while Nieves did absolutely nothing in the off-season to get strong. I like Nieves but he failed miserably in the off-season to get in better shape. Kristo over Skjei is laughable.

Its really not.

Kristo has done a HELL of a lot more at the NCAA level than Skjei. Yes Skjei only played 1 season so far but it was underwhelming for a 1st rounder. Kristo was also very impressive in the WJCs, while Skjei failed to make the team this year.

Skjei is a much bigger project and till I see some real development, i'd vote Kristo before him.

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Where did you read Boo failed to gain weight? And gaining weight is not necessarily the same as getting in better shape.

Kristo is further developed and a very good prospect in his own right. Some people may value that more than pure upside. They were picked less than 30 spots apart overall. I wouldn't rank Kristo over Skjei, but it's not laughable. Different people use different criteria in ranking prospects.

I'm actually pretty sure I read a tweet about him gaining 10 pounds of muscle. It might have been in the development camp thread.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

This is a total misunderstanding of weight/muscle gain.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Hrivik again. First line AHLer in his rookie season. Good all-around player.

Add Buch. Supposedly he slipped because he's Russian, so hopefully he has more talent than most third rounders.

Im thinking Hrvnik too, from what I hear in the prospect camp, he's tearing it up and looks like a pro.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Went with Boo. Hrivik is next.

Adding Buchnevich as he has the most talent out of the rest of the prospect pool. About Fogarty, people did not like the BCHL and then going to college and being a 4th liner. Should improve this season, but he hasn't done anything to warrant being rated this high. I'm expecting the next round to be very interesting between Hrivik and MSC. Can easily see another tie-breaker round. The rangers pool looks to be about 15-18 deep in terms of talent that can become possible NHL players. Much better than last poll done.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Gotta go with Boo. Love his upside. All him, Diguiseppe, and Trouba did was carry that Michigan team all year.

And that was as a skinny freshman and his first time playing against that level of competition. If he can do that now, it should get better for him as his body matures.

Patience.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
His play has not yet warranted placement in the poll unless we are adding him based solely on draft position and perceived potential.

Yeah, I like Fogarty and think he has some real upside. We haven't really seen the production though. There are reasons for that, sure, but I need to see something more before I move him up my list. This will be a big season for him in terms of prospect status. I think he either establishes himself as a real two-way threat, or we pretty much write him off.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
His play has not yet warranted placement in the poll unless we are adding him based solely on draft position and perceived potential.

I'm just saying, at this rate he's not going to even crack the top 15, and I think he should be in there. Center, good size, played a great defensive role at UND in his freshman year, and will surely be given a bigger role next season. I suspect soon more people around here will be talking about him. Very cool that he and Tambellini will be playing together for next season and beyond :)

Maybe I'm overrating him, who knows, but I suspect he'll turn some heads in his sophomore year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm just saying, at this rate he's not going to even crack the top 15, and I think he should be in there. Center, good size, played a great defensive role at UND in his freshman year, and will surely be given a bigger role next season. I suspect soon more people around here will be talking about him. Very cool that he and Tambellini will be playing together for next season and beyond :)

Maybe I'm overrating him, who knows, but I suspect he'll turn some heads in his sophomore year.

I thought Tambellini is playing at UND (North Dakota)?

Emptyvoid

Apr 11, 2009
Hrivik, add Buch. I don't think his chances are great, but if he works out he is a 1st line forward talent.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, I like Fogarty and think he has some real upside. We haven't really seen the production though. There are reasons for that, sure, but I need to see something more before I move him up my list. This will be a big season for him in terms of prospect status. I think he either establishes himself as a real two-way threat, or we pretty much write him off.

Yep. If he doesn't put up at least 20 points this season I begin to write off his offensive potential.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Went with Boo although IMO him, MSC and Hrivik are close. Add Allen.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
I went with Hrivik. I fully acknowledge that St Croix's and Nieves' ceilings are higher, but right now, with Hagelin and Callahan probably out of the lineup when the next season starts, I fully expect Hrivik to get a good look with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad