Prospect Info: Prospect Poll: NYR Prospect #10

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I guess I am in the minority. Yogan came on very strong to finish last year in the AHL. Big power forward who drives to the net and has good hands. He has proven more already than MSC who is still slight when compared to most other prospects.

I would have a few prospects ahead of him even right now. But that's just me.

I am right there with you - I've been a fan of Yogan's since we drafted him. I honestly think he would've had a cup of coffee by now if not for injuries. Those clamoring for bottom 6 guys from within the organization need look no further than Hrivik and Yogan. I expect both to challenge for spots as early as this year's training camp. It was just unfortunate timing that injuries derailed the normal curves of both players, otherwise they could have likely contributed last year when they were so desperately needed.

Add Tambellini.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Poor Steve Fogarty. By all accounts he had a fine, though inconsistent, freshman year; which is to be expected considering he was considered a raw prospect with a long learning curve. I think he's being undermined a bit thanks to "New Shiny Toy Syndrome."

No, it is because he has shown nothing in his two years since being drafted. He was an average player in the BCHL and a mediocre one in the NCAA as a 19-year-old.

As soon as he starts to improve and shows something, we will vote for him. A fourth liner in the NCAA as a 19 year old is not someone projected to be an NHLer unless he shows great progress in the future.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Poor Steve Fogarty. By all accounts he had a fine, though inconsistent, freshman year; which is to be expected considering he was considered a raw prospect with a long learning curve. I think he's being undermined a bit thanks to "New Shiny Toy Syndrome."

Shiny new toy? Kreider keeps getting voted #1 and he has hardly done anything right or consistent since getting drafted.

Fogarty took a whole year before going NCAA after getting drafted, and still had a slow first year. He wasn't close to the top player on his BCHL team, either.

I'm not saying he'll never improve, but he hasn't shown anything yet except raw ability.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I guess I am in the minority. Yogan came on very strong to finish last year in the AHL. Big power forward who drives to the net and has good hands. He has proven more already than MSC who is still slight when compared to most other prospects.

I would have a few prospects ahead of him even right now. But that's just me.

Minority, but not alone.

Buchnevich, etc may have more talent but Yogan is more ready; also has experience at C, I believe.

I like MSC, but he may also suffer fate of Christian Thomas. Remains to be seen.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fogarty is interesting. The book on him at the time he was drafted was that he was a big, skilled, offensively-oriented player who would need to improve his two-way game. During the two years since he was drafted, he has seen drastic improvement on the defensive side of the puck, to the point where he now looks like a defensively-oriented center. It was as if the defensive improvement came at the expense of his offense.

Now, at Notre Dame he was asked to play primarily a defensive role, and all indications are that he performed well in that role. This season, he's likely to see increased ice time in offensive situations and be asked to shoulder more of the offensive burden. Can he do that? Two years ago, everyone would have expected the offense to be more of a given and the defense to be the question mark. This year will be big for him developmentally.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Here are the remaining players eligible to be added for voting. In parentheses is their ranking in the last poll--NR indicates the player was not ranked.

Andersson, Calle (13)
Bourque, Ryan (19)
Duclair, Anthony (NR)
Fogarty, Steven (15)
Graves, Ryan (NR)
Hughes, Tommy (NR)
Jean, Kyle (12)
Kantor, Michael (NR)
Missiaen, Jason (25)
Nicholls, Josh (NR)
Skapski, Mackenzie (NR)
Spelling, Thomas (20)
Stajcer, Scott (NR)
Tambellini, Adam (NR)
Wilson, Jason (24)

thanks captain

from the above please add the bolded

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
MSC. Add Fogarty. He's demonstrated a giant leap forward in his defensive game. One that took his projection from a guy who was almost assuredly going to be a winger if/when he turned pro, to a player who now has the defensive awareness and size to line up in the middle of the ice. He was wedged into a defensive role in Penticton and again at Notre Dame last season. Both times he answered the bell and excelled.

I'm not worried about the offense yet. That should come with a larger role this year with the Irish. I watched him several times this year and as the season went on he started to open the taps offensively. His playmaking ability is very good and his hands in tight are excellent for a guy his size.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
MSC. Add Fogarty. He's demonstrated a giant leap forward in his defensive game. One that took his projection from a guy who was almost assuredly going to be a winger if/when he turned pro, to a player who now has the defensive awareness and size to line up in the middle of the ice. He was wedged into a defensive role in Penticton and again at Notre Dame last season. Both times he answered the bell and excelled.

I'm not worried about the offense yet. That should come with a larger role this year with the Irish. I watched him several times this year and as the season went on he started to open the taps offensively. His playmaking ability is very good and his hands in tight are excellent for a guy his size.

Pretty much my exact take on Fogarty.

Looking forward to his upcoming Sophmore season. Notre Dame is in Hockey East now, gonna try and make my way to some games. Roadtrip ! ;)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Looking forward to his upcoming Sophmore season. Notre Dame is in Hockey East now, gonna try and make my way to some games. Roadtrip ! ;)

That's where I'm at as well. Like Lindberg, the defensive side of the game is normally harder to develop.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

The big thing that sticks out for me with Fogarty is how he handled himself. He didn't complain about ice time or try and weasel himself out of his commitments and jump to the CHL. He just accepted it and adapted himself about as well as he possibly could have. Great attitude and great head on his shoulders.

Good call on the HE move. I totally forgot about that.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I would disagree with this. Defense can be learned, offense is a talent.

So do I. I'm not arguing that he showed a great improvement in his defensive game or that he's got a good team first attitude.

Offensively, from his earlier videos (pre-draft) it looked to me that he dominated his opposition with his size. And if his offense was there, he should have shown more than just a small glimpse of it in his freshman year.Instead he had a totally forgetable season offensively, maybe with an exception of one high light goal and one or two games where his whole line dominated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad