Props for Woodcroft

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The power play turned around, noticeably, when they stopped passing so hard.

I dont know who made this connection, but from one game to the next they wernt trying to force plays at a million miles an hour.

Sometimes it seemed that these guys were just too good for their own good. Instead of make simple smart plays, they tried to make highlight reel goals.

At times you just have to realize that 3 greasy goals is greater than 1 highlight of the year goal.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sometimes it seemed that these guys were just too good for their own good. Instead of make simple smart plays, they tried to make highlight reel goals.

At times you just have to realize that 3 greasy goals is greater than 1 highlight of the year goal.

Probably where the value of a veteran like Letestu comes in. He will execute the game plan exactly as drawn up. Some guys on the team can't be happy unless they are doing something fancy every few seconds.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Lucic and Test tube struggling on the first unit.

The second unit doesn't really do much period.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
That stat above agrees with the eye test, they have not been good lately. I think Letestu was great in the short term but has run his course. I find he shoots too much and rarely is it a good shot. Helped simplify it early one but it's time to try something new. Don't really care for Lucic on that first PP either while we're at it. Maroon made more sense when we had him, McDavid and Drai together. Why confuse the lines?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Teams are figuring out to just pressure Mcdavid and ignore the point. Just put Eberle in Letestu's spot and Klefbom, Nurse or Davidson on the point.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
They need a bomb from the point so bad it hurts. A Souray type on the blueline would be huge for this team.

I'll bring up a name that hasn't been thrown around much recently...

Wisniewski... proven to be solid on the PP and he should be dirt cheap. I'm sure I read he's back from the KHL. Sign him.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Sekera and Letestu on the point doesn't really inspire fear in the opposition.

I'd sub out Sekera for Klefbom for a short-term solution. Letestu needs an upgrade too, but I'm not sure how best to approach that, perhaps Benning? Maybe give Eberle another shot?

Though the team needs to find a way to correct the LH/RH imbalance on the units. Force team's to cover all parts of their zone.

Eberle-McDavid-Draisaitl
Letestu-Klefbom

Kassian-RNH-Maroon
Slepyshev-Sekera

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
You know who could be at point bombing slappers?

Benoit Pouliot, he's got one of the hardest shots on the team. Seems strange with that suggestion but it's true. Just a suggestion, please don't hate me.;)

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
You know who could be at point bombing slappers?

Benoit Pouliot, he's got one of the hardest shots on the team. Seems strange with that suggestion but it's true. Just a suggestion, please don't hate me.;)

guy also has solid speed and strong forechecking. But lets try to keep him in the single digits for ice time, k?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm not sure this thread is going to generate much discussion, but I really feel like it's only fair to give Woodcroft some credit considering how hard the majority of this forum came down on him during the first month and a half of the season. The PP is now sixth in the league. If you were okay with blaming the PP's struggles on him, then you should be okay with crediting its success to him as well.

Moving Draisaitl to the high slot has paid off big time, and they seem to be generating some quality shots despite not having a big shot from the point to work with.

This could be a thread for Letestu as well. Everyone was down on him being added to the first PP unit, but he's consistently made great plays on it ever since being put on there.

There's not really much to say here, fact is the guy is doing a great job with the power play so far this season, and he should get props for it.

Welcome to the fickle knee jerk element of this board.

Props to you for making this thread but any dip from a top 10 PP (even with the appalling lack of secondary scoring and the lack of a PP dman) will surely bring out the torches and pitchforks. :D

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Welcome to the fickle knee jerk element of this board.

Props to you for making this thread but any dip from a top 10 PP (even with the appalling lack of secondary scoring and the lack of a PP dman) will surely bring out the torches and pitchforks. :D

Hardly a knee jerk reaction. We were brutal at the start, had an incredibly successful mid stretch when we changed things up but we are 24th in the NHL since January 1st. That's a month and a half where we are bottom 6 in the league. We have the pieces to be much better than that, even without a proper shot at D. Sourly would probably score 30 on this PP. It's time to get working with something else.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hardly a knee jerk reaction. We were brutal at the start, had an incredibly successful mid stretch when we changed things up but we are 24th in the NHL since January 1st. That's a month and a half where we are bottom 6 in the league. We have the pieces to be much better than that, even without a proper shot at D. Sourly would probably score 30 on this PP. It's time to get working with something else.

The PP ebbs and flows. I could pull up a stretch were the PP was top 3 in the NHL.
Thats exactly the issue I was highlighting...relax...a big picture perspective makes infinitely more sense than picking a subset and using that as a foundation to evaluate ability.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's half Woodcroft and half Steelcroft now. And LeTestube has been temporarily upgraded to LeBeaker.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Kind of unorthadox.

Ive always wondered how the PP would do if McDavid set up on the LW side instead of his usual spot on the right? Takes away his shot..but he barely shoots it anyway. So like a set up of:

Eberle (goal line)
Draisaitl (net front)
McDavid (Left boards Lucic (right boards) (set up here in BOS on the PP)
Klefbom (point)

this way McDavid is feeding all of Drai, Klef and Looch for one timers.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure about doing it full-time, but the second unit seems way more dangerous to me when Nuge and Eberle switch sides. Maybe it would work as a change-up every once in a while with McDavid's unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad