Props for Woodcroft

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not sure this thread is going to generate much discussion, but I really feel like it's only fair to give Woodcroft some credit considering how hard the majority of this forum came down on him during the first month and a half of the season. The PP is now sixth in the league. If you were okay with blaming the PP's struggles on him, then you should be okay with crediting its success to him as well.

Moving Draisaitl to the high slot has paid off big time, and they seem to be generating some quality shots despite not having a big shot from the point to work with.

This could be a thread for Letestu as well. Everyone was down on him being added to the first PP unit, but he's consistently made great plays on it ever since being put on there.

There's not really much to say here, fact is the guy is doing a great job with the power play so far this season, and he should get props for it.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I concur, and if we're being honest, the blame for the struggles before do not squarely fall on his shoulders, execution was also a problem.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
:laugh:

Agreed. Credit where credit is due.

It's so weird to watch the powerplay and realize that it's not going to kill our momentum.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
this is too funny. yeah, like Woodcroft came up some with some secret new PP formation and, bang!!, its a good PP again. Just like it was all his fault they couldn't score before.

ITS THE PLAYERS PLAYING BETTER NOW!! IT WAS THE PLAYERS PLAYING BAD, BEFORE!!!!

biggest credit coaching gets is getting Jordon ''drain' Eberle off the 1st unit and putting Letestu on it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Got to give credit where credit is due. PP looks good right now.

However, a lot of points were left on the table because of how our inept our PP was. The extent of how terrible our PP was might be the difference in if we make the playoffs or not.

Trying to use a poor skating, small, contact allergic, defensive sieve that has the one timer of an old timer as our point man is pretty much an attempt to sabotage the PP. And they let that go on for 20+ games. I have a better one timer than Eberle.

Easily one of the stupidest moves I have ever seen by a coaching staff ever.

A perfect example of trying a square peg in a round hole. Over and over and over again.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
LkNdadq.gif

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
this is too funny. yeah, like Woodcroft came up some with some secret new PP formation and, bang!!, its a good PP again. Just like it was all his fault they couldn't score before.

biggest credit coaching gets is getting Jordon ''drain' Eberle off the 1st unit and putting Letestu on it.

I'm fine with that. This is more directed at the people who were calling for Woodcroft to be fired. Whatever the reason for the PP getting better, he received a lot of undeserved heat.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

This is it.
PP is about smart, confident aggression. And they have that now.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Props to Steelcroft.

In retrospect this season, I would actually put a good amount of blame for the PP sucking on Ebs. Woodcroft probably spent a lot of time hoping Ebs would eventually get some swagger and look competent again on the left side, but it just wasn't happening. But I totally get why he would think it should, Ebs is supposed to be a sniper and he's making 6M. That's a player that you should be able to count on to get it together pretty quickly.

Letestu comes in and looks 10 times more competent and able on the PP as Ebs in that spot. Just crazy.

And of course Drai hanging out around the slot is just magic.

Last edited:

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
I'm not sure this thread is going to generate much discussion, but I really feel like it's only fair to give Woodcroft some credit considering how hard the majority of this forum came down on him during the first month and a half of the season. The PP is now sixth in the league. If you were okay with blaming the PP's struggles on him, then you should be okay with crediting its success to him as well.

Moving Draisaitl to the high slot has paid off big time, and they seem to be generating some quality shots despite not having a big shot from the point to work with.

This could be a thread for Letestu as well. Everyone was down on him being added to the first PP unit, but he's consistently made great plays on it ever since being put on there.

There's not really much to say here, fact is the guy is doing a great job with the power play so far this season, and he should get props for it.

Glad he has the PP firing, but should I really be impressed it took him 100 games to figure out what he was previously trying wasn't working?

Draisaitl in the slot was a fantastic idea though.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Only took him forever to change the damn setup. For weeks it was obvious the Overload wasn't working. That silly cycling in the corner with 97 and 29 was an utter failure yet they kept doing it for another month. lol.

Changes it to a 1-3-1. Surprise surprise. They start scoring!

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Letestu works on the PP because he fits into the formula of a successful PP. Unfortunately, he is the best option we have in that spot. A RW shot who shoots the puck and usually makes the correct decision in regards to not needlessly turning the puck over.

If we had a real RH shooter who was reliable with the puck (coaches obviously don't trust Pulju here yet as he was very prone to fanning on shots and turning pucks over in the offensive zone in his games thus far), our PP would be right at the top of the league. Letestu is probably the worst #1 PP player in the NHL but he does his job better than Eberle, because he's not afraid to rip pucks on net, and he can win faceoffs.

Finding a player who fits in that spot better should be Chiarelli's second most sought after player right now, after an offensive RHD to ALSO play on the PP.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

last month we wanted to fire him

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Team Canada's PP sucked in the World Cup of Hockey. Some times the biggest issue is just getting the guys to click. Although fans don't have patience so they want guys fired immediately when something isn't working.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I'm glad the PP is finally working; it only took him a season and a half to figure it out.

I give all of the credit for the recent PP success to Draisaitl, not to Woodcroft. If Drai goes through a slump like he did last season, I expect it to fall off again.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
The power play turned around, noticeably, when they stopped passing so hard.

I dont know who made this connection, but from one game to the next they wernt trying to force plays at a million miles an hour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad