Proposal: (Proposal) Steen to Jets

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Jets don't have the long term cap space to be taking on Steen. As much as I'd like to see him moved.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Too late. IMO they don't need an older 15 goal a year guy. They have ELC's who'll do that.

St Louis515

Nov 18, 2018
how about St Louis retain 50% salary and send us a token draft pick. Steen does have a no trade, however I do think he would waive to go to Jets.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
I think Steen would fit in well here for this season, unfortunately he has 2 more years after this.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The Jets likely had some interest back in 2013 when it appeared he was heading to UFA the following summer.

Sadly he signed a mid-season extension and the Jets never had the opportunity to present a case. St. Louis did the same thing extending his contract in pre-season 2016, signing him until 2021 again preventing UFA offers.

Since then the Jets winger situation has progressed dramatically. Left wing is a strength for years to come with Ehlers, Connor & perhaps even Laine on his off-wing. Perreault is a top 6 forward playing bottom 6 minutes due to the teams considerable depth. Tanev has provided depth scoring, Copp is a powerhouse defensively, Petan is waiting for an opportunity to crack the forward line up and Lemieux has been on a tear on the 4th line as of late. I haven't even mentioned Vesalainen.

Jets likely have little interest unless it was at a fire sale price with heavy salary retention.

With that said I'd love to see Steen in a Jets uniform. His father was a favourite player from 1981 until his retirement in 1995. The WHA Jets left a love for Sweden in our hockey fans hearts and I recall fondly his father playing with fellow Swedes Willy Linstrom, Benny Lundholm and then later on with another favourite Doug Smail.

A shame he's not a centre. Has he ever played that position in St. Louis?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Jets likely had some interest back in 2013 when it appeared he was heading to UFA the following summer.

Sadly he signed a mid-season extension and the Jets never had the opportunity to present a case. St. Louis did the same thing extending his contract in pre-season 2016, signing him until 2021 again preventing UFA offers.

Since then the Jets winger situation has progressed dramatically. Left wing is a strength for years to come with Ehlers, Connor & perhaps even Laine on his off-wing. Perreault is a top 6 forward playing bottom 6 minutes due to the teams considerable depth. Tanev has provided depth scoring, Copp is a powerhouse defensively, Petan is waiting for an opportunity to crack the forward line up and Lemieux has been on a tear on the 4th line as of late. I haven't even mentioned Vesalainen.

Jets likely have little interest unless it was at a fire sale price with heavy salary retention.

With that said I'd love to see Steen in a Jets uniform. His father was a favourite player from 1981 until his retirement in 1995. The WHA Jets left a love for Sweden in our hockey fans hearts and I recall fondly his father playing with fellow Swedes Willy Linstrom, Benny Lundholm and then later on with another favourite Doug Smail.

He played a bit of center years ago. He pretty much just is a winger now. Blues would likely retain or take salary back to get some value but with Jets coming cap crunch not sure there is fit.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
We’ll take any of Appleton/niku/Samberg :)

We’ll actually take almost nothing for him tho lol

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
The only way I see this working is if there’s a handshake deal that he’s retiring at the end of the year like what happened a few years ago with... Iginla? (I think)

With how much is left for him to collect there’s zero chance he wants to do that so very, very unlikely.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Blues could retain 50% but I'm not sure that the return would be worth it.

I don't see a deal to be made here.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Yeah he has played center. I’m not sure if he’s still capable to do so long term. Or if he really ever was capable of doing so long term. Regardless taking Steen for multiple years could really hurt the Jets more than it could help them.

I’d imagine Schenn would be a better target for you guys. However it would have to be some return to trade him in division if we plan on competing at all next season, which I see no reason why we wouldn’t.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah he has played center. I’m not sure if he’s still capable to do so long term. Or if he really ever was capable of doing so long term. Regardless taking Steen for multiple years could really hurt the Jets more than it could help them.

I’d imagine Schenn would be a better target for you guys. However it would have to be some return to trade him in division if we plan on competing at all next season, which I see no reason why we wouldn’t.

I just hope that St. Louis management weathers this storm without a fire sale. Lots of teams try to burn the house down and then take a decade to rebuild.

Jets development was nothing like that. They came to win every night, fought tooth and nail even when out of the playoff race. Where most teams would have been tanking for losses and increased lottery odds, the Jets went on significant year ending winning streaks year after year. Big thanks to the scouting staff for some incredible mid round one selections (and some players falling into our lap)

More importantly it required a handful of vets remaining true to the cause like Wheeler & Byfuglien, drafting based on character, and bringing in others whose simple focus on fitness was an inspiration to others. Olli Jokinen was a shadow of himself while in a Jets uniform, Peluso may have had nothing more than fighting skills, but off ice these two set the bar for conditioning and it rubbed off on the entire organization. 2nd year forward Jack Roslovic may well be the best conditioned athlete in the NHL and has simply blown Paul Maurice away at his last two training camps.

Even after the Stastny trade last year, St. Louis persisted and weren't eliminated until the last day of the regular season. Really hope your team keeps it up. Good times may not be as far away as some suggest.

Reactions: simon IC

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I just hope that St. Louis management weathers this storm without a fire sale. Lots of teams try to burn the house down and then take a decade to rebuild.

Jets development was nothing like that. They came to win every night, fought tooth and nail even when out of the playoff race. Where most teams would have been tanking for losses and increased lottery odds, the Jets went on significant year ending winning streaks year after year. Big thanks to the scouting staff for some incredible mid round one selections (and some players falling into our lap)

More importantly it required a handful of vets remaining true to the cause like Wheeler & Byfuglien, drafting based on character, and bringing in others whose simple focus on fitness was an inspiration to others. Olli Jokinen was a shadow of himself while in a Jets uniform, Peluso may have had nothing more than fighting skills, but off ice these two set the bar for conditioning and it rubbed off on the entire organization. 2nd year forward Jack Roslovic may well be the best conditioned athlete in the NHL and has simply blown Paul Maurice away at his last two training camps.

Even after the Stastny trade last year, St. Louis persisted and weren't eliminated until the last day of the regular season. Really hope your team keeps it up. Good times may not be as far away as some suggest.

I mean Winnipeg pretty much picked in the lottery from 2011-2016. Granted those picks are never gauranteed especially with the caliber of play you are getting from some of them mainly Scheifele and Connor.

However. The scary part with this Blues team is that we seriously lack consistency as a group. There have been many games where the team looks incredible. There has also been more games where they look terrible, can’t receive a pass and can’t defend the slot.

I’d imagine actually hiring a coach would be a start to turning the ship around along with a goalie who doesn’t implode for long stretches. Our scouting department has done an incredible job of injecting youth into the lineup in the second and 3rd rounds. However we have been shippingnout picks frequently lately and losing vets who brought consistency. There is serious reason for concern. But I wouldn’t imagine that our players keep tipping career shooting percentage lows year after year.

Reactions: 67Blues

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Thank you! A very insightful post. We are obviously a disappointed and frustrated group, so while I bristle at proposals like Steen for essentially a bag of pucks, I understand where they are coming from. Steen is still a useful player, despite what some Blues fans think.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not that many players that make less sense for the Jets than Steen.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Hard to see any team trading for Steen at this point.
He's nearing the end of his career the way things are looking.
3rd line maybe for the next season or two and then retirement.

Who wants to take on $5.75M in cap hit for that?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
The Jets have no use for him. St Louis could retain 50% and it still wouldn't make sense. The Jets have too many wingers who are better and no lack of young guys competing for fourth line spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad