The Athletic Pronman: Buffalo Sabres rank No. 3 in NHL Pipeline Rankings for 2023

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I really don't mind being no.3 but the Devils if all things should be one of the teams ahead of us. Chicago and the Ducks have hardly any big NHL players under 23.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I don't wish ill on the kid but it'd amuse me if his lack of size and great skating means he's a better Cole Caulfield vice a 'generational' talent
Yeah I am not sold on him either but it would be fun to finally have a first year player putting up Crosby, Ovi, Mcdavid numbers.
But I guess his lack of size & skating could be a hindrance so I am guessing 50 to 70 points.
He will get plenty of opportunity tough.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't wish ill on the kid but it'd amuse me if his lack of size and great skating means he's a better Cole Caulfield vice a 'generational' talent

Yeah, I see him as a Tavares-esque prospect. Absolutely dominant against juniors, but he has physical/athletic limitations that I think are going to prevent him from being equally dominant at the NHL level.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Pronman published his top under-23 today. Theres a lot going on in that list lol. Anyhow. We got 12 in the top 165. Thats 2.33 times the "average" of about 5 per team.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pronman published his top under-23 today. Theres a lot going on in that list lol. Anyhow. We got 12 in the top 165. Thats 2.33 times the "average" of about 5 per team.

Tier 3 Bubble elite NHL player & NHL All-Star
6 Dylan Cozens
Tier 4 NHL All-Star
13 Owen Power
Tier 6 Top of the lineup player
27 Jack Quinn
Tier 7 Bubble top and middle of the lineup player
64 Zach Benson
70 JJ Peterka
80 Jiri Kulich
Tier 8 Middle of the lineup player
91 Noah Ostlund
100 Matthew Savoie
126 Peyton Krebs
138 Anton Wahlberg
139 Maxim Strbak
165 Devon Levi

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I take Pronman's projections on prospects as seriously as I would Jim Cramer's investment advice.
You seem to think that's an insult, when either of them would probably agree -- they're only here for entertainment purposes. Neither proclaim to be anything more than that, just discussion fodder.

We couldn't stay #1 forever but I don't think Bedard should propel the Blackhawks that far alone.
The two things that make me really scratch my head are him having Cooley and Nemec so low, and Luke Hughes so high. I definitely disagree on those.

I liked seeing Cozens get the appreciation he deserves, I wasn't expecting that.

Reactions: Chainshot

swiper

Jul 8, 2012
I'm looking through them now, and the first glaring thing that jumps out to me:

JJP has his shot ranked as "NHL elite", Cozens is "Above NHL Average" and Quinn.....doesn't have his shot ranked.

Quinn's shot is easily the best of the 3......and I feel like Cozens' is better than JJP.
The writer is clearly a joke. He is off on several levels. The Athletic should be embarrassed by this, but they are not. All they want is content to push out there, so they let these stupid kids write articles even though they are wrong about much of what they write and the rest is just repeating what they've read elsewhere.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The writer is clearly a joke. He is off on several levels. The Athletic should be embarrassed by this, but they are not. All they want is content to push out there, so they let these stupid kids write articles even though they are wrong about much of what they write and the rest is just repeating what they've read elsewhere.

Pronman is absolutely not some "stupid kid". Yeah, his prospect rankings might be a bit off sometimes.....but he does have connections to/among league scouts and does provide some valuable insight.

And as far as the "all they want is content" stuff -- the Athletic routinely has some of the best written-form content out there. Yeah, of course there's some filler stuff -- but I find their subscription fee to be well worth it. It's the ONLY written-form content I pay for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad