The Athletic Pronman: Buffalo Sabres rank No. 3 in NHL Pipeline Rankings for 2023

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
He is including active players like Cozens, Power, Krebs, Quinn, and Peterka in his list so it's mostly players 23 and under.

I think he has both Levi and Rosen WAY too low.

Also, he has Anaheim #1 and the Blackhawks #2.

Pronman is kind of a joke.

Players are ranked this way:

1. Cozens
2. Power
3. Quinn
4. Benson
5. Peterka
6. Kulich
7. Ostlund
8. Savoie
9. Krebs
10. Wahlberg
11. Strbak
12. Levi
13. Nadeau
14. McCarthy
15. Rosen
16. Neuchev
17. Johnson
18. Ratzlaff
19. Poltapov

Honorable Mentions (No particular order): Leinonen, Miedema, Novikov

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
What's wrong with including players <23? Frankly a 'pipeline' evaluation is more translatable to team success than a 'prospect' one IMO.

EDIT: Corrected the inequity symbol

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
What's wrong with including players >23? Frankly a 'pipeline' evaluation is more translatable to team success than a 'prospect' one IMO.

I mistyped my sentence - I meant that Pronman is a joke and his list includes 23 and under. Those are two separate things. He's a joke no matter if he includes full-time NHL'ers or not.

Reactions: Irie

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Levi at 12 is laughable and kills any credibility that list could have.
He gave his reasons why on the podcast. NHL scouts still aren’t sold on him, because of his size and lack of elite traits, and they thought he had obvious issues in his brief NHL stint.

Just because he has a different opinion on a player doesn’t cause him to lose credibility - talk about being overly sensitive! Especially when his opinion is shared by plenty of professionals, and the player has proven nothing at the pro level.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
He gave his reasons why on the podcast. NHL scouts still aren’t sold on him, because of his size and lack of elite traits, and they thought he had obvious issues in his brief NHL stint.

Just because he has a different opinion on a player doesn’t cause him to lose credibility - talk about being overly sensitive! Especially when his opinion is shared by plenty of professionals, and the player has proven nothing at the pro level.
Pronman is certainly a charlatan from my perspective. His method and criteria are hopelessly lacking. We could give certain posters on this board a full-time gig covering prospects and they'd easily produce better content. The shallowness of his analysis for someone who does this as a full-time job is stunning.

That said, it's fair to point out the issues that Levi had in his 7 game stint as well as that he hasn't proven anything in the pros (nor has he had the chance to). What doesn't check out to me is "the lack of elite traits." Outside of height, Levi is made of elite traits - skating (which could be broken down further into multiple elite traits), glove, competitiveness, focus, production.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I like Pronman and Wheeler. As a hockey fan who enjoys the draft and following our prospects, it is great to have the content they provide. Do I agree with them on all of their rankings? Of course not. It would be some kind of amazing if a person who covers prospects across all teams and leagues could nail the general consensus on prospect rankings that an NHL team's fanbase has. I don't think this is something to be taken too seriously. The good news is that we are loaded with good young players.

I haven't listened to his comments on the Sabres yet, so haven't heard what he said about Levi. I did, though, hear his earlier comments on Calgary's goalie prospect Dustin Wolf. He actually referenced Levi in these comments and, I'm paraphrasing, said that there are two sets of opinions on Wolf and Levi: There is the public/local-media/fan opinion that these goalies are NHL #1's in waiting, and then there is the inside the NHL opinion that there is real uncertainty about whether they are true #1 NHL goalies.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
Levi at 12 is laughable and kills any credibility that list could have.
In January 2023 Pronman had Levi in his top 5 for goalies under 23 in the NHL pipeline. He likes Levi. He happens to like the Sabres' under 23 pipeline so much that he has us with 11 players who he projects to be better than Levi as NHL players. That's a good thing.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
In January 2023 Pronman had Levi in his top 5 for goalies under 23 in the NHL pipeline. He likes Levi. He happens to like the Sabres' under 23 pipeline so much that he has us with 11 players who he projects to be better than Levi as NHL players. That's a good thing.

Thinking further, the only logical conclusion (for a Sabre fan) is that
4. Benson
5. Peterka
6. Kulich
7. Ostlund
8. Savoie
10. Wahlberg
11. Strbak
12. Levi
will all finish in the top-4 of Calder voting the next ~3-4 years, but will fractionate the vote such that no Sabre will win it.

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
After reading the Ducks and the Blackhawks, I don't see how they actually deserved being ranked above Buffalo in depth + quality.

But hey, mixing up the rankings is probably good for readership.

His ranking of Levi is WAAY TOO LOW. I even like the guys above him, and respect that he thinks we have 11 guys above him. But I still wholeheartedly disagree.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
i enjoy his write ups and articles, but they are just for entertainment. The idea that one person could have such a good understanding of every team’s U23 talent…to a degree he could rank them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot and jc17

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
He is including active players like Cozens, Power, Krebs, Quinn, and Peterka in his list so it's mostly players 23 and under.

1. Cozens
2. Power
3. Quinn
4. Benson
5. Peterka
6. Kulich
7. Ostlund
8. Savoie
9. Krebs
10. Wahlberg
11. Strbak
12. Levi
13. Nadeau
14. McCarthy
15. Rosen
16. Neuchev
17. Johnson
18. Ratzlaff
19. Poltapov

Honorable Mentions (No particular order): Leinonen, Miedema, Novikov
How is Benson ranked ahead of Kulich lmao what an i*iot!

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Goalies can be tough to rank alongside skaters, but Levi at 12 is awful.

But just within a given position, how on Earth is Strbak and McCarthy ahead of Ryan Johnson? Like...what the hell? Nadeau ahead of Rosen, Neuchev, and Poltapov?

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I thought he was low on Benson, because of his skating and size and that he doesn't see him at that special to overcome that?
What does that tell us about the players behind him?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX

scouts are notoriously stupid

Scouts led to the greatest athlete of all time being picked in the 6th round, 199th overall. That says everything you need to see about dumb scouts

Reactions: sabremike

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
scouts are notoriously stupid

Scouts led to the greatest athlete of all time being picked in the 6th round, 199th overall. That says everything you need to see about dumb scouts
Would he be who he was if he was drafted bt the Browns instead of the Patriots

Reactions: brian_griffin

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

1. Cozens
2. Power
3. Quinn
4. Benson
5. Peterka
6. Kulich
7. Ostlund
8. Savoie
9. Krebs
10. Wahlberg