WC: Promotion from Division 1 to TOP Division as it is now is nonsense.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Realistically there's no good time. The NHL would never let the IIHF use their players prior to the NHL season with the risk of players getting injured. The most realistic solution is for the NHL to start their season in september, shorten the regular season to 60 games and be done with the Stanley Cup finals in late april/early may. And that's not realistic at all.

Yeah, also in Europe there are not that many people who care about hockey. And I think we would see even more players than we do now staying away from the tournament if it means they have to give up spending summer time with their families. Once in 4 years for a potential World Cup maybe, but not year in and year out.

And before someone cries out about soccer World Cup, it is a completely different situation where players for top Euro leagues are available for the NT during international breaks for qualification tournaments and friendly games. Which the NHL, unlike the European hockey leagues who already do it, will never allow.

And since that's also not possible, you can't have the WC less often than every year because of all the lower division tournaments.

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
If GB beats Belarus they'd need to collect more points than the 7th of the other group to stay. So if it's:

Group A:
7. GB 3 pts -22
8. Belarus 0 pts

Group B:
7. Italy 3 pts -30
8. Kaz 0 pts

GB would stay and Italy/Kaz would be relegated.

Is this the actual rule? It's never happened in the current format.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia

member 305909

IIHF Council recommended to the Congress that they should change the rules for relegation from the Elite Division and promotion from D1A.(for next year's tournaments). Only one team should get relegated and only one should get promoted from D1A to Elite.

Source: Совет ИИХФ рекомендовал конгрессу вылет одной сборной из элитного дивизиона на ЧМ-2020

I translated the article with google, can some native speaker confirm this?

Not a good idea. Hopefully won't get passed.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
IIHF Council recommended to the Congress that they should change the rules for relegation from the Elite Division and promotion from D1A.(for next year's tournaments). Only one team should get relegated and only one should get promoted from D1A to Elite.

Source: Совет ИИХФ рекомендовал конгрессу вылет одной сборной из элитного дивизиона на ЧМ-2020

I translated the article with google, can some native speaker confirm this?

It's only a recommendation at this point, and it's supposed to affect only the 2020 tourney, because of the pair of host countries in 2021.

I like how simple it's now; they shouldn't change it. If you want to stay up, don't finish last in your group. That's it.

The only complication is the protection for host country/countries.

Reactions: adamnowek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad