WC: Promotion from Division 1 to TOP Division as it is now is nonsense.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The IIHF top division tournament should be a 10 country battle, like the juniors. No need for more teams and bush league hockey. Want viewership, get the best to play. I would love to see the NHL season and playoffs finish two weeks earlier, like the old days, and then the World Championships be a 10 day tourney (4 group level games and a playoff round), with NHL players having a chance to represent their home country every year. Unfortunately Gary Bettman is so focused on growing the game in the U.S. that he doesn't see the value of international hockey, and Rene Fasel isn't a visionary of hockey either.

member 305909

The IIHF gets the best money by having this 16-team tournament so it ain't gonna change.

The only minor change I would make is to put both of the promoted teams to the same group so that at least one of them avoids relegation and there would be more change of teams at the top-tier.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The IIHF top division tournament should be a 10 country battle, like the juniors. No need for more teams and bush league hockey. Want viewership, get the best to play. I would love to see the NHL season and playoffs finish two weeks earlier, like the old days, and then the World Championships be a 10 day tourney (4 group level games and a playoff round), with NHL players having a chance to represent their home country every year. Unfortunately Gary Bettman is so focused on growing the game in the U.S. that he doesn't see the value of international hockey, and Rene Fasel isn't a visionary of hockey either.

Except the primary job of the IIHF is to actually grow the sport worldwide, not to entertain.

Also, 10 teams at men's level makes little sense when there are more than 2 teams competing for places 9 and 10.

It makes sense in junior tourneys, because there the number of players per country really matter, but at men's level several teams can bridge the gap at men's level.

Reactions: adamnowek and KTl

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sad to see France go. They missed several of their best players, and it cost them badly.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
Both games for relegation to OT this year, surprising results in both of them. Plenty of excitement at least

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yeah, I'm very surprised.

Depending on the rankings, we might actually see Italy and GB in the same group next year if I'm not mistaken.

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
I think the ranking for the 13-16 (of the the countries in the top group) it will be
14.Belarus
18. Italy
19. Kazakhstan
20. GB

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I think the ranking for the 13-16 (of the the countries in the top group) it will be
14.Belarus
18. Italy
19. Kazakhstan
20. GB

Looking at 2018 & 2019 seeding they try to put the 13th and 16th ranked teams in one group and 14th and 15th in the other.

2018 - 13 France, 14 Denmark, 15 Austria, 16 South Korea

2019 - 13 France, 14 Austria, 15 Italy, 16 GB

But in 2018 France and Denmark had to swap so Denmark and Sweden were keep apart.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Looking at 2018 & 2019 seeding they try to put the 13th and 16th ranked teams in one group and 14th and 15th in the other.

2018 - 13 France, 14 Denmark, 15 Austria, 16 South Korea

2019 - 13 France, 14 Austria, 15 Italy, 16 GB

But in 2018 France and Denmark had to swap so Denmark and Sweden were keep apart.
You're right, but that staggered seeding if 1 2-3 4-5 6-7 8-9 10-11 12-13 14-15 16 can be changed by the host nation choosing a team for their own group. So it's still a possibility.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
If Latvia defeats Norway, both Latvia and Belarus would end up being seeded in the same group (10 and 13), which would be a nightmare scenario for Team GB since neither of them can get relegated.

Germany
Latvia
Denmark
Belarus
Great Britain

But this is subject to change obviously

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
If Latvia defeats Norway, both Latvia and Belarus would end up being seeded in the same group (10 and 13), which would be a nightmare scenario for Team GB since neither of them can get relegated.

Germany
Latvia
Denmark
Belarus
Great Britain

Not that I disagree with what you write, but GB is glad by simply being here in general.

member 305909

Italy probably saved all their energy on the one game which they hae a chance to win. That strategy paid off.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If people dont like blow outs, NHL and IIHF should work together and just make a 6 nations cup like we have in Rugby (with 10 teams, so 10 nations) and then have a world cup/olympics every other year with a qualification tournament for 4 teams outside top 10.
You could do 12 nations for hockey and still have a pretty competitive tournament.

Canada
USA
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Slovakia
Germany
Denmark
Latvia
Norway

Play the tournament at a time when all the best NHL, KHL and Euro league players are available to have a true best-on-best tournament. Sure, a couple teams would have a tough time, but with all available players, the tournament should be pretty competitive.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You could do 12 nations for hockey and still have a pretty competitive tournament.

Canada
USA
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Slovakia
Germany
Denmark
Latvia
Norway

Play the tournament at a time when all the best NHL, KHL and Euro league players are available to have a true best-on-best tournament. Sure, a couple teams would have a tough time, but with all available players, the tournament should be pretty competitive.

The Canada Cup was 6 teams back in the day. The NHL tried to recreate it with 8. I think Switzerland and Slovakia are capable of upsets, Germany is producing quality players. Denmark, Latvia and Norway are all teams that would be in danger of relegation. 12 should be the maximum numbers of teams. If the World Championships didn't conflict with the NHL, that would be the biggest change, because hosting tournaments in New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal would guarantee a bigger TV following than a European tournament. I just can't see the NHL and the IIHF ever agreeing to anything of the such.

KTl

Apr 11, 2019

Germany
Latvia
Denmark
Belarus
Great Britain

In case Belarus ends on 8th, the worst 7th would be relegated. Hence, being in a group with Belarus and Latvia is not a disadvantage. Belarus did not really well in Division I, so a win for GB vs Belarus is possible and might be enough.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
I heard today that the next years hosts cannot be relegated? I bring this up as apparently GB will be in Group A with Belarus, so with Belarus hosting it with Latvia.. that will surely mean GB will be relegated next year, even if they beat Belarus?

Group A: Slovakia, Denmark, Belarus & GB
Group B: Latvia, Norway, Italy & Kazakhstan

So basically, GB are gone and will be in D1A in 2021. Is it just the way the groups have fallen or do the IIHF want GB gone?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
In case Belarus ends on 8th, the worst 7th would be relegated. Hence, being in a group with Belarus and Latvia is not a disadvantage. Belarus did not really well in Division I, so a win for GB vs Belarus is possible and might be enough.
What if Latvia finishes 7th and Belarus 8th?

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I heard today that the next years hosts cannot be relegated? I bring this up as apparently GB will be in Group A with Belarus, so with Belarus hosting it with Latvia.. that will surely mean GB will be relegated next year, even if they beat Belarus?

So basically, GB are gone and will be in D1A in 2021. Is it just the way the groups have fallen or do the IIHF want GB gone?

Looking at future hosts they plan this so far in advance I wonder how they can justify having a country like Belarus host a tournament they might not otherwise qualify for. Especially if they finished 3rd in 1A this year which could have happened if they lost in regulation to Kazakhstan.

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010

If GB beats Belarus they'd need to collect more points than the 7th of the other group to stay. So if it's:

Group A:
7. GB 3 pts -22
8. Belarus 0 pts

Group B:
7. Italy 3 pts -30
8. Kaz 0 pts

GB would stay and Italy/Kaz would be relegated.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Canada
USA
Russia
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic
Switzerland
Slovakia
Germany
Denmark
Latvia
Norway

Realistically there's no good time. The NHL would never let the IIHF use their players prior to the NHL season with the risk of players getting injured. The most realistic solution is for the NHL to start their season in september, shorten the regular season to 60 games and be done with the Stanley Cup finals in late april/early may. And that's not realistic at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->