Projects prevalent in New York Rangers Top 20 prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
adam_huska_green_bay_gamblers.jpg
Photo: One of the biggest risers among the New York Rangers prospects, Adam Huska was the USHL’s top goaltender this season (courtesy Green Bay Gamblers).

</p> Going to at least the Eastern Conference Final round in three of the past five seasons does not come without some collateral damage. For the New York Rangers, and many other teams in contention, it has come at the cost of some prospects and draft picks.

Aleksi Saarela and Anthony Duclair would easily be top-5 prospects in this group, not to mention the multitude of first and second round picks that have been dealt over this span.… read more

The post Projects prevalent in New York Rangers Top 20 prospects appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nice job. I appreciate the detailed analysis of what each guy brings.

I think you have Fogarty and McIlrath about five spots too low. Particularly McIlrath.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Overall a good list but I don't agree with Halverson falling that much the way he picked up his game the second half of the year and in the playoffs. Also don't agree with Morrisson that high.

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
Dylan at 10 seems too low, no? I know he got beat to the outside at times but with some extra training and experience he could mitigate that.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
McIlrath's puck handling and stick play could use some work but his passing was usually pretty spot on--at least in breaking out of the zone and going up ice. He's far from being a playmaker in the offensive zone. IMO Dylan should have broken the top 5. AV did not give him enough of a chance. Lots of times he came in cold--not having played in two weeks or so and he'd do pretty well. He needs to play.

I'd certainly rank Dylan above Morrison, Stromwall, Kovacs, Gropp, Tambellini and Graves.

Tambellini has a lot to work on. He had a decent first AHL season--it was far from spectacular. Morrison and Kovacs are still kids--both of them undersized. I like that they're both skilled and competitive players though. Gropp came across as streaky and did not really seem to improve a whole lot off his draft year. There are no guarantees that any of these guys will ever become NHL players. Dylan is going to be an NHL player.

Graves did have a very good first season in the AHL. A lot of hope for him.

Mat Bodie---too old now? because he had a good second season in the AHL and a lot more worthy of consideration than Nanne IMO. I'd have to think that Mantha would be well ahead of Nanne as well---though whether Mantha is a free agent in a couple days is a question.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
McIlrath is way low.

Especially since he's already shown he can play at the NHL level...and his upside remains 2nd pairing D-man. I don't see , for example, that Tambellini or even Graves having a higher upside than McIlrath.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Especially since he's already shown he can play at the NHL level...and his upside remains 2nd pairing D-man. I don't see , for example, that Tambellini or even Graves having a higher upside than McIlrath.

Yeah he played well enough that I'm prepared to call him a bottom-pairing defender already. I think there's still some room to grow there as well. Seems like he just always gets unfairly criticized just because he isn't going to live up to the "taken ahead of Tarasenko" status.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hoping for good things from the russian kid zborovskiy. big, nasty, stay at home type who plays a sublime defensive game and rarely makes mistakes in coverage. would be a nice addition to hartford next spring.

gropp and tambellini look like solid forward prospects. not overly excited for either.

i would say the swede kovacs has the best looking skill set of the young forwards and love his attitude as well. he's got the "it" factor in that he's feisty and confident to go along with his good wheels and sniper mentality. he's my favorite forward prospect in the system and could be another 3rd round "diamond in the rough" type player.

graves looks like he's on a solid development path and a kid who may well have some legit offensive upside to go along with his size and physical play. this kid seems like the gem of the dmen kids.

mcilrath isn't really low considering his potential upside is rather limited. weve seen what he brings and he's a one way, dependable, simple, defensive minded physical defender with some lingering skating issues. as a 3rd pair defender, he's fine. much more and he's gonna be exposed alot against top end forwards who can get on his hip forcing him into bad penalties.

most excited for shesty and his development. the kid just has #1 written all over him. so much talent and ability. we have the net minder position well stocked but this kid is the top of the entire prospect class after buchnevich and brady skjei. hes that good.

our overall prospect package isn't that great. time to add some blue chippers to go along with the vanilla types and some late bloomers.

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
hoping for good things from the russian kid zborovskiy. big, nasty, stay at home type who plays a sublime defensive game and rarely makes mistakes in coverage. would be a nice addition to hartford next spring.

gropp and tambellini look like solid forward prospects. not overly excited for either.

i would say the swede kovacs has the best looking skill set of the young forwards and love his attitude as well. he's got the "it" factor in that he's feisty and confident to go along with his good wheels and sniper mentality. he's my favorite forward prospect in the system and could be another 3rd round "diamond in the rough" type player.

graves looks like he's on a solid development path and a kid who may well have some legit offensive upside to go along with his size and physical play. this kid seems like the gem of the dmen kids.

mcilrath isn't really low considering his potential upside is rather limited. weve seen what he brings and he's a one way, dependable, simple, defensive minded physical defender with some lingering skating issues. as a 3rd pair defender, he's fine. much more and he's gonna be exposed alot against top end forwards who can get on his hip forcing him into bad penalties.

most excited for shesty and his development. the kid just has #1 written all over him. so much talent and ability. we have the net minder position well stocked but this kid is the top of the entire prospect class after buchnevich and brady skjei. hes that good.

our overall prospect package isn't that great. time to add some blue chippers to go along with the vanilla types and some late bloomers.

McI definitely has higher upside than a bottom defenseman. I thought his skating improved drastically from 2 years ago. And I don't see him being just a defensive minded defenseman, has a rocket of a shot and defineitly shoots more than most of our defensemen when he is given the chance. Staal would be considered a defensive minded defenseman, someone who quickly gets rid of the puck the second it comes to him in the offensive zone, usually by just dumping it deep and not looking for a good shot/pass.

He will likely end up being a perfect second pair dman who will be able to hold his own against most players.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
McI definitely has higher upside than a bottom defenseman. I thought his skating improved drastically from 2 years ago. And I don't see him being just a defensive minded defenseman, has a rocket of a shot and defineitly shoots more than most of our defensemen when he is given the chance. Staal would be considered a defensive minded defenseman, someone who quickly gets rid of the puck the second it comes to him in the offensive zone, usually by just dumping it deep and not looking for a good shot/pass.

He will likely end up being a perfect second pair dman who will be able to hold his own against most players.

stall plays like his hands are made of stone. he's has no offensive upside at all since his eye injury. at one time, he was a top notch defender. injuries have taken their toll.

mcilrath has a good shot, no doubt. the ability get it off however requires skating, quickness, on the fly thinking and being intuitive in tight spaces. no sure he's there yet with that. he's gonna have a ton of shots blocked being slow with that windup and decision making as well. can he improve? sure, will he? good question.

he's got a long way to go to be a legit 2nd pairing guy.

you all forget how sheltered his minutes are/were and how little he played in the 3rd periods of tight games. for a defensive guy, his defensive lapses and liabilities are many.

he still struggles with speed wide. his change of direction and edge work looks awkward at times and his angles are inconsistent leading to penalties. ill timed pinches cost him alot too.

he's young and learning. still a ways to go for sure though.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
When McIlrath had the chance to string a few games together he improved and was more confident. He was never awful even after he was sitting for a while.

It's not like there isn't something to the critiques that ODC makes--about him getting caught off the angle and turned by quicker and more skillful players--it's just that IMO it's hard to get an accurate read on a guy who could sit for two-three weeks and then all of a sudden being thrown into a situation ice cold and where other coaches know it and are always trying to match their better players against him.

There comes a point where you go with a guy and live with some mistakes which are going to happen to just about every defender in the league when they first start in the NHL. He'll grow if he gets a real chance to play with some regularity and he'll likely stagnate if he doesn't. For what Boyle brought last year--no offense--the weakest defenseman on the puck and the most likely to get caught out on a shift and gassed Dylan should have been playing a hell of a lot more.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
you all forget how sheltered his minutes are/were and how little he played in the 3rd periods of tight games. for a defensive guy, his defensive lapses and liabilities are many.

While this is fair, it's also harder for a young defenseman to work on their game when they aren't being given consistent time. Add in coming in and out of the lineup a bunch and it's a bit easier to understand his inconsistent play. His best play came when he was in the lineup consistently and getting decent minutes.

EDIT: eco's bones beat me to it

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You put an NHL player at 10 over guys that will be fringe AHLers.

Appreciate the effort you put into this but outside of perhaps 2 skaters and a goalie none of the players on that list will sniff the NHL in the next three years. Most will be wash outs.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
You put an NHL player at 10 over guys that will be fringe AHLers.

Appreciate the effort you put into this but outside of perhaps 2 skaters and a goalie none of the players on that list will sniff the NHL in the next three years. Most will be wash outs.

Outside of McIlrath being way too low and the reach on Morrison, every prospect list is going to full of likely wash-outs.

That being said, I do miss Leslie.

The worst thing is somehow McIlrath is now ranked our #6 defense prospect on the depth chart, behind such luminaries as Tyler Nanne and Tommy Hughes. 6B is a joke. At best a third line defenseman who could drop a step? Give me a break. Looks like one of the "But Tarasenko should have been our pick!" crowd got a hold of our prospect ratings.

EDIT: Looks like its the Dallas Stars guy, actually. Which is somewhat amusing since Dallas wanted Dylan bad, and drafted a similar player in Oleksiak a year later.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
our prospect pool makes me really sad...im not convinced anyone outside of Skjei, McIlrath, and Buchnevich will ever actually play in the NHL....Graves maybe...

ugh.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
our prospect pool makes me really sad...im not convinced anyone outside of Skjei, McIlrath, and Buchnevich will ever actually play in the NHL....Graves maybe...

ugh.

It's a pretty safe bet that one of our goalies will be a backup at the very least, but overall yeah there's some work to be done.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

ugh.

I agree with you as far as skaters go. I really like Kovacs though. However I do think some if not all our goalie prospects will get a chance to play in the NHL. Hellberg--very good year in Hartford. Shesterkin could be a real gem in the future--as a starting and potentially star goalie. Halvorsen, Skapski and Huska--happy with all of them.

Fogarty's upside is pretty much 4th line but I think he's got a good chance of realizing it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McIlrath will probably be a #4/5D with limited offensive upside, puck skills and skating, but at least he'll probably be an NHL player. Skjei should be a #2/3 defensive defenseman. If he really develops his offensive game and puck skills, maybe there's a chance he becomes a #1, but its really unlikely. Tambellini, Gropp, Kovacs, Stromwall, Morrison all have a chance to be middle 6 forwards. Nieves, Fogarty, Jensen all have a chance to be bottom 6 forwards. If we get 2 middle 6 forwards and 1 or 2 bottom 6 forwards out of that group of players, I think we've done well. Zborovskiy seems to have limited NHL upside, but there's probably a good chance with the way he plays that he gets to the NHL as a #4/5 defenseman.

We might not have a good prospect pool, but we have good goalies. Huska's has a lot of upside. He had a really good 1st post-draft season. Now he'll face better competition. He's probably two or three years away from an ELC at the earliest, maybe even four. Halverson has shown good tools, but he's not played as well as he's capable of. Now he'll have a big transition to pro hockey. I think these next two seasons are very important for him. He has big potential, NHL starter potential, but if he doesn't put that together in the next two years, I'm not sure that we can really expect an NHL starter out of him. If he does though, maybe he's the next back up to Hank after Raanta's contract expires. Skapski has shown in the past that he could be a good NHL back up. After his injury, its harder to project him to be an NHL goalie, but its possible. It all depends if he can rebound from his injury. He has shown that level of ability.

I already mentioned Skjei who's already played in the NHL. Other than him, the only three prospects that I feel safe to project difference maker potential in the NHL are Graves, Shesty and Buch. Graves has a lot of tools, and he's progressed a lot in recent seasons, which makes me think there's a chance he hits his ceiling. He's really big, he has a great shot, he skates well for a big man and he has good puck skills for a big man. What he needs to improve on is his physicality on the defensive end and his overall defense. He's not yet ready to play in the NHL, but if he can correct those two areas of his game, he could be a really interesting player. I believe he has potential to be about Sheldon Souray level if he really hits his ceiling. He'll probably end up around Jason Garrison level, which is still really good. I actually think there's a good chance Graves could be better than Skjei, and thats not really a slight on Skjei.

Shesty is our best goalie prospect, and I think he deserves his spot as our second best prospect. He was about as good as you could be in the VHL this season, and has done well in the KHL and international competitions. He figures to probably split starters minutes this upcoming season with SKA, but Koskinen had a good WC, and there's been talk he could want to head back to the NHL and there's interest in him. If that happens, Shesty could inherit the starting spot this season. If not, and he's just strictly a back up, I'd bring him over to NA after the season when his contract is up. If he gets the starting spot though, I'd probably let him develop with SKA for a few more seasons until he's ready to play in the NHL.

Buch is our best prospect, and I think he's a top 5 prospect who's been drafted and is not yet in the NHL. He has star upside if he reaches his ceiling, and should be no worse than a good second line forward. I think a good 1st line forward is a fair projection.

I think the system is bottom 10 in the league, maybe even bottom 5. There are a few impact players in the system, but overall its lacking in impact players, especially right hand defenseman and forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad