Project a CBJ line up in 3 years

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
So using the current roster, prospect pool, and picks this year (seeing as the 1st will be a top 10), project what you think this teams line up will be in 3 years. You can use trades, signings, whatever, as long as it's reasonable and explained. (I.E. No Stamkos in 2016 FA. Not happening. :shakehead )

My guess:

Milano - Johansen - Wennberg
Foligno - Jenner - Bjorkstrand
Rychel - Dubinsky - Clarkson
Dano - Letestu - Anderson
Collins, Chaput

Murray - Werenski*
Heatherington - Wisniewski
Reilly - Collins
Savard

Bob
Dansk/Forsberg

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Its a super hard thing to predict, you are basically expecting every prospect to be a success and not only that but in a 3 year period. would be nice but not really realistic

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I agree with your list for the most part but I highly doubt that Savard ends up as a healthy scratch 3 years from now. Our D corps would be inexperienced enough with Savard but without him that's just frightening to think about.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I agree with your list for the most part but I highly doubt that Savard ends up as a healthy scratch 3 years from now. Our D corps would be inexperienced enough with Savard but without him that's just frightening to think about.

I see him as a perennial bottom pairing guy who plays second line special teams. That said, I think in the case where Collins is the bottom pairing guy, like I have it, then an older, team developed guy like Savard becomes the #7 defence men. In all likelihood he'd be shipped out in an Erixon trade if he couldn't crack the line up

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Foligno-Mcdavid-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Johansen-Wennberg
Rychel-Jenner-Dano
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson

JMFJ-Murray
Heatherington-Reilly
Savard-Wiz

The hockey gods are just and reward us with McDavid, Anisimov gets traded for futures.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Foligno-Johansen-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Wennberg-Rychel
Dano-Jenner-Dubinsky
Anderson-Chaput-Clarkson

Johnson-Savard
Heatherington-Murray
Tyutin-Goloubef/Prout

Bob
Forsberg/Korpisalo/Dansk/Elvis dude

Was a toss up if I kept JJ there. But I did. Although I can see him moving on soon.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The scary thing about those lineups is that all of the top F prospects have to click (odds are they won't) and the D is essentially the same although I think Wiz is gone at some point

I really hope stew's lineup is correct.

And in all cases Arty is gone and Cam is only in one did we just let them walk?

CAMSANITY

Jan 30, 2013
Redondo Beach
Foligno-Johansen-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Wennberg-Rychel
Dano-Jenner-Dubinsky
Anderson-Chaput-Clarkson

Johnson-Savard
Heatherington-Murray
Tyutin-Goloubef/Prout

Bob
Forsberg/Korpisalo/Dansk/Elvis dude

Was a toss up if I kept JJ there. But I did. Although I can see him moving on soon.

I think this is the most realistic lineup on here. For what it's worth though I'm sure it will be nothing close to this because NHL.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
So using the current roster, prospect pool, and picks this year (seeing as the 1st will be a top 10), project what you think this teams line up will be in 3 years. You can use trades, signings, whatever, as long as it's reasonable and explained. (I.E. No Stamkos in 2016 FA. Not happening. :shakehead )

So the team will make no trades for NHL players or add a single free agent?

You can, but thats hard to judge. Also, if this team does any trades with roster players, it'll be for picks and prospects most likely. I think if they aren't a playoff team next season, then FO will decide to retool

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You can, but thats hard to judge. Also, if this team does any trades with roster players, it'll be for picks and prospects most likely. I think if they aren't a playoff team next season, then FO will decide to retool

Nobody's three-year plan included Vinny Prospal, Jeff Carter, Jack Johnson, Artem Anisimov, Scott Hartnell... three years before those players arrived.

Of all the players I've (individually) pined for over the years, only two have actually ended up in Columbus (trades/ free agents).

Yes, it's nearly impossible to predict with any level of certainty what NHL players are going to move and how and when. I agree with you it's hard to judge, but it's going to happen.

The only thing I will guarantee is that none of these rosters involving strictly the advancement of current prospects will ever come to be.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Clarkson-M.Richards-D. Briere
A.Semin-S.Gomez-RJ Umberger
R.Clowe-LeCavilier-A.Semin
Boll-Gibbons-Wennberg

Phaneuf-Letang
Orpik-St.Denis
T.Meyers-Nikitin

DiPietro
C. Sanford

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'll probably regret this, but...

Jenner - Johansen - Foligno
Milano - Wennberg - Palmieri
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Clarkson
Calvert - Dano - Zaar
Morin - Rychel

Murray - Savard
Johnson - Heatherington
Tyutin - Golobef
Prout

Bobrovsky
Forsberg

Wiz traded for Palmieri, high draft pick
Atkinson traded for high draft pick
Anisimov traded for depth, high draft pick
Rights to Reilly traded for draft pick this summer
That defense still needs help

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Foligno - Johansen - Hartnell
Jenner - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Dano - Dubinsky - Rychel
Anderson - Cizikas - Clarkson

Werenski - Johnson
Murray - Savard
Heatherington - Collins
Tyutin

Bob
Forsberg

Of course it won't look anything like this, but this is a reasonable path.
A few differences between my list and others:

1) If I have to pick one prospect who won't pan out, I'd go with Milano. He just has so much to learn.
2) Hartnell is still under contract, and we might keep him all the way through. I can imagine he'll still be a useful player (or at least marginally better than a buy-out), perhaps even on the top line, even if he's the slowest player in the league at that point. Vinny was slow too, remember.
3) I'm putting Cizikas in as a random UFA center on the 4th line, just because I don't think Chaput will be good enough.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I'll probably regret this, but...

Jenner - Johansen - Foligno
Milano - Wennberg - Palmieri
Hartnell - Dubinsky - Clarkson
Calvert - Dano - Zaar
Morin - Rychel

Murray - Savard
Johnson - Heatherington
Tyutin - Golobef
Prout

Bobrovsky
Forsberg

Wiz traded for Palmieri, high draft pick
Atkinson traded for high draft pick
Anisimov traded for depth, high draft pick
Rights to Reilly traded for draft pick this summer
That defense still needs help

The idea of this thread was entirely for fun and to lighten the mood of some of the guys around here. It seems that with this Clarkson trade, people are disheartened for the future. We have a top 5 prospect pool that could be bumped to the top after this draft, considering the amount of picks we have and how early they are. The future's bright, and even brighter with Clarkson (Versus Horton) imo

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
We have a top 5 prospect pool that could be bumped to the top after this draft, considering the amount of picks we have and how early they are. The future's bright, and even brighter with Clarkson (Versus Horton) imo
Three years that I support for Jackets regularly hear about top 5 prospect pool and wonderful future. It remains to wait wheh this transformed into good results. I hope it will happen next season.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
A lot of youth pushing for roster spots that could cause some massive roster flux in the next three years. My incredibly inaccurate prediction:

Foligno-Johansen-Rychel
Milano-Jenner-Dano
Hartnell-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Dubinsky-Clarkson
Tropp

Murray-RHD that we will trade for
Provorov/Werenski/Kylington-Jack Johnson
Connauton-Heatherington
Savard

1. Tyutin, Anisimov, and a 1st traded as a package for a major defensive upgrade either next season or the following season.
2. Morin traded for picks due to lack of playing time.
3. Wiz and Atkinson traded at trade deadline, but the pick and prospects are unknown quantities at this point.
4. Mike Reilly leaves us high and dry.

At this point our prospect pool is developing very well and I expect the MAJORITY of our current roster to be pushed out in one way or another over the course of the next three years. The exceptional drafting and development that appears to be happening under the new regime is really promising.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A lot of youth pushing for roster spots that could cause some massive roster flux in the next three years. My incredibly inaccurate prediction:

Foligno-Johansen-Rychel
Milano-Jenner-Dano
Hartnell-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Dubinsky-Clarkson
Tropp

Murray-RHD that we will trade for
Provorov/Werenski/Kylington-Jack Johnson
Connauton-Heatherington
Savard

1. Tyutin, Anisimov, and a 1st traded as a package for a major defensive upgrade either next season or the following season.
2. Morin traded for picks due to lack of playing time.
3. Wiz and Atkinson traded at trade deadline, but the pick and prospects are unknown quantities at this point.
4. Mike Reilly leaves us high and dry.

At this point our prospect pool is developing very well and I expect the MAJORITY of our current roster to be pushed out in one way or another over the course of the next three years. The exceptional drafting and development that appears to be happening under the new regime is really promising.

This is a pretty bold claim (and not just because I bolded it). I really doubt we'll see that much change. For one thing, we are already very young, and we should take advantage of mature players at some point. Secondly, there's a good chance that none of our forward prospects end up better than Dubinsky, so why he's on the fourth line is beyond me. I also have doubts whether Milano ever makes it. At this point I'm optimistic about Jarmo's drafting but I'm not ready to hand him any trophies until his players actually develop.

A minor note on the D:

You're D looks like
L R
L L
L L

I suppose it's possible but it goes strongly against the L-R trend. I think David Savard will be with us for a long time to come, because he's our best RHD and because he's a young player who's shown promise in all facets of the game.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
This is a pretty bold claim (and not just because I bolded it). I really doubt we'll see that much change. For one thing, we are already very young, and we should take advantage of mature players at some point. Secondly, there's a good chance that none of our forward prospects end up better than Dubinsky, so why he's on the fourth line is beyond me. I also have doubts whether Milano ever makes it. At this point I'm optimistic about Jarmo's drafting but I'm not ready to hand him any trophies until his players actually develop.

A minor note on the D:

You're D looks like
L R
L L
L L

I suppose it's possible but it goes strongly against the L-R trend. I think David Savard will be with us for a long time to come, because he's our best RHD and because he's a young player who's shown promise in all facets of the game.

Dubinsky is on the "fourth" line because I think that they are going to transition away from the traditional four line format into something closer to the Blackhawks and Blues structure. Dubi hasn't really been passed up he's just on the shutdown line. As for the youth movement I just don't see many players on our roster that have the skills to keep their roster spots once our draft picks start maturing and pushing for roster spots. Rychel, Dano, and Wennberg are already superior to Boll, Skille, Tropp, and potentially Morin in their rookie years and are only going to improve. As to Milano I guess you and I see very different players.

As for the Defense, I could see Savard keeping a spot, for some reason I thought Heatherington was right handed.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
ill give it a shot

Milano Johansen Rychel
Wennberg Jenner Bjorkstrand
Foligno Dubinsky Dano
Calvert Tynan Hartnell
Clarkson

player we get from trade Murray
Heatherington Johnson
Provorov-Savard