Prohockeytalk

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Wouldn't be surprised.

I think he's good GM, but the way people were putting him on a pedestal when he was in TB was ridiculous.

A II R

Jun 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a fairly garbage take. The Red Wings model going to Tampa was evident pretty much from the time he took over a flaming dumpster fire. He is basically the vision. Him and Vinik built that thing back up after the Hollywood ownership fiasco.

I am not saying the guy that made the tweet is an idiot.... But I have a hard time believing he is intelligent.

Being a GM is a lot trickier than most people think. It is why a lot of us said he couldn't work miracles and that he would likely behave similar to Holland. These are the realities. But creating a winning culture is what Yzerman brought to Tampa. Understating that is a disservice to the job he did down there.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So it wasn't Yzerman and wasn't Verbeek (because otherwise it would be a non-issue since they're in Detroit now). Who was it? Brisebois from behind the scenes?

Yzerman hasn't done anything that we know to be a bad move. I don't see how we can judge his performance like this. Not yet. It just sounds like people with a different philosophy on how the team should be run mouthing off like they've got all the answers. And unfortunately for all of us, they don't know that they don't know.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some blogger with 3,000 followers has a hot take. What, that's not news to you? If you doubt this guy's credentials, just take a look at the link he has in his Twitter bio:
https://www.rotoworld.com/archives/nhl/289/hockey-daily-dose

Spoiler alert: His takes are so spicy his own bio link leads to a 404 page.

I was genuinely confused if this was a report or just someone’s thoughts.

One thing I will say is I think most people would be surprised how collaborative front offices are.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
So it wasn't Yzerman and wasn't Verbeek (because otherwise it would be a non-issue since they're in Detroit now). Who was it? Brisebois from behind the scenes?

Yzerman hasn't done anything that we know to be a bad move. I don't see how we can judge his performance like this. Not yet. It just sounds like people with a different philosophy on how the team should be run mouthing off like they've got all the answers. And unfortunately for all of us, they don't know that they don't know.
Ryan Callahan and Carle contracts were beyond terrible. I am not saying it is his fault, but they both really were bad deals and had the possibility to be bad from the start. He did a great job though at keeping the core TBL players together and getting the stars to sign below average. It isn't the tax law nonsense because there are other markets that are state income tax free that can't sign superstars for below market average. He was the vision and the man behind the winning culture/identity. I grew up a Wings fan, but switched to the Lightning they were created.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Ryan Callahan and Carle contracts were beyond terrible. I am not saying it is his fault, but they both really were bad deals and had the possibility to be bad from the start. He did a great job though at keeping the core TBL players together and getting the stars to sign below average. It isn't the tax law nonsense because there are other markets that are state income tax free that can't sign superstars for below market average. He was the vision and the man behind the winning culture/identity. I grew up a Wings fan, but switched to the Lightning they were created.

And? He had Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov, etc. there on fabulous deals.
He traded Cory Conacher (aka worthless trash) for a stud goalie in Ben Bishop
Corrected the "incorrect move" of drafting Jonathan Drouin by trading him for Sergachev when damn near every other GM would have peaced out and dealt Drouin for a pittance.

Steve Yzerman isn't a god as a GM. He is a fantastic executive though. Most of what he's really really good at is working with solid assets and right now he really doesn't have many that he can play around with on this Wings roster. You can't make chicken salad out of the burnt ends of a beef roast.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
The one problem with Yzerman though none of his high draft picks amounted to anything.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I can sum this thread up quite nicely........

giphy.gif

Reactions: ealong59

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad