Professional Women's Hockey League (PWHL) News

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
You are failing to recognize & appreciate the overarching PWHL narrative: No women's ice hockey existed before the Professional Women's Hockey League.

But if you choose to compare attendance figures for the collective of "women's hockey" in the United States (pro & amateur), there has been an NCAA Division I women's game that exceeded the headcount of the U.S.-Canada Rivalry Series matchup in Seattle: Jan. 14, 2017, St. Cloud State University Huskies @ University of Wisconsin Badgers, Att. = 15,359.
I am definitely not a fan of professional gaslighting.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Seems like the ETA: 3+ week break the PWHL is wrapping up on April 18 has gotta be a huge surf break for the popularity wave the League was riding. Will another wave come this season, or will 2024-25 be a do-over? :(

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Seems like the ETA: 3+ week break the PWHL is wrapping up on April 18 has gotta be a huge surf break for the popularity wave the League was riding. Will another wave come this season, or will 2024-25 be a do-over? :(
Not really something I would be worried about. There is almost a quarter of the regular season still to be played and a predicted record crowd to build some hype up before the playoffs.

But if I was them, I would try lobbying to get the Worlds moved to, let's say, September (2025 being already set, that would mean 2026 which happens to be in Canada). Like that, they would get long in-season breaks only in Olympic years and still show how much they care about international play by making all players available while having all spring to run their postseason. They would also then have an argument to scrap the November international break when the first round of Rivalry Series is played.

Reactions: JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So who thinks the PWHL received their new team branded unis during the IIHF championship tourney, and will be debuting them starting with Thursday night's resumptions of play in BOS & MTL? Seems like the League's best opportunity to regain attention & suitable relevance after a 3-1/2 week pause in the middle of their inaugural season. Otherwise, I could see the fan response to the layoff being somewhere between :boredom: and :whatever:.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
On a side note, three PWHL players are still on NT duties as the WW Division 1A tournament gets underway on Sunday for a week in Klagenfurt, Austria. NYC is getting the short straw on this one with both Chloé Aurard (FRA) and Taylor Baker (HUN) being away while BOS will be missing Theresa Schafzahl (AUT).

During meetings held during the WW in Utica, the IIHF agreed to synchronised the Division 1A and 1B tournaments with its main event.

And about this year's draft, the PWHL has agreed not to select any player under contract in Europe.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad