Problem with the powerplay

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
There isnt alot of cycle on our PP ... They break in and usually lose the puck. If we could cycle it more then it would open up the subban one timer

Analyzer*

Markov needs to come down the back door when they commit on Subban.

Subban needs to drive to the net whenever they're cover him and Montreal moves the puck down low. The high forward will be poised to stay there.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If I were the Habs video compilation guy, I would literally take every clip I could find of Kovalev on the boards on the PP and put it together in a huge montage. Then I'd sit Alex Galchenyuk down for an hour or so a day and have him study it. Kovy was a wizard coming off the boards on the PP and AG has the skill to be that type of guy too. He just needs to stop thinking so much and set up the right play.

We gotta stop depending on the point blast. We know they're gonna do it, they know they're going to do it, and the other team knows they're gonna do it, yet they fire the puck around down low and kill off 45-50 seconds of their PP before attempting the inevitable shot from the point.

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Three ways to improve our pp:
1. Use only Plekanec's line and Eller's line.
2. Keep Subban on the entire 2 minutes, rotate Markov with Diaz.
3. Keep Desharnais, Gorges, and Bouillon the **** away.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
I think the biggest problem is the forwards aren't really making good decisions with the puck, stop throwing the puck on net if no one is screening the goalie.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The powerplay is missing that shot from the right circle side like when Kovalev & Cammalleri was here.

They have Plekanec playing that role right now but nobody respect his shots and that's why all the teams manage to get Subban out of the play.

I think that Rene Bourque has that shot and should probably be that guy or Daniel Brière if he comes back

Just posted on the Emelin thread on replacing Gorges next year to solve a weakness, and this provides a chance to comment on the one other major Habs weakness moving into our cup window: No first rate top line RW.

IE: Replacing Gionta with either a young top RW sniper, or RW power guy. This in addition to Gally, who is under too much pressure right now.

A Kovalev, or a Cole, at their best.

C Thomas and LL are not gonna cut it, sorry.

Gonna have to be a trade, this summer, as FA sucks as usual and every FA is a grandad as usual, or if not, will be locked up.

See ya Pleky, our only valuable trading chip that can be decently replaced from within until Chucky is ready in 2015.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Put Eller on the right wing there with Pleks centering & Bourque in front. It should be fine. Forget about the EGG line, it's being covered and watched and covered...

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
We need the PKers to respect our presence down low to open the points more. We need to use our bigger forwards, especially Eller and Galch who have great hands, to cycle (and not just to the blueline). All teams do is rush our PP and we panic and chase the puck. Sometimes it doesnt even seem like a 5 man unit

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I like how we have a problem with the PP when it is 7th in the league at 22.6%:)

Relax guys, as long as we have Markov-Subban on the point (playing at least 1m 30 sec and no Bouillon PLEASE) we'll be fine.;)

BJG

Jul 30, 2005
How about: there is no 'problem' with the power play? We're 7th in the league at 22.6%, ahead of the likes of Colorado, San Jose, Chicago and Pittsburg.

If you want to talk about ways of improving an already efficient system, fine. But stating that there's a problem with the PP is like complaining about your Victoria's Secret model girlfriend who's never on the cover. She's, like, only the 7th hottest woman in the world. :shakehead

BJG

Jul 30, 2005
I like how we have a problem with the PP when it is 7th in the league at 22.6%:)

Relax guys, as long as we have Markov-Subban on the point (playing at least 1m 30 sec and no Bouillon PLEASE) we'll be fine.;)

I swear I was writing my post before I read yours. Good to know there are some rational posters on this board. Thank you, Sir.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany

True that. But it could easily be better. Some of what the other posters are saying is true. We seem to have a difficult time setting ourselves up in the opponents' zone. We've been making it too fancy and rushing in, only to have it fail most of the time. It's frustrating. At least by staying in their zone, they can't change their players as easily.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I just don't know what the Habs have to accomplish to end the monotonous complaining that I read daily here. It's one thing to actually point out a deficiency and suggest ways to correct it, totally a fans right and might be appreciated. To constantly have supposed fans ripping into our players, coaches, GM and anyone else employed by the team is not only senseless but very irritating. Why not use the venomous barrage on our opponents players etc. and find in your heart some love and admiration for our team?Shower them with praise for there good showing at this early stage of the season, despite the rash of injuries they have endured.

Merely a thought, but if I were a UFA thinking about cities to enjoy playing for and read the continual bad mouthing the Hab players get here..... Then quite possibly Montreal might not be 1st on my list of teams even if the Habs were my childhood team. People's lives aren't always perfect, but being a fan doesn't give you the right to take your anger out on the Habs. Think about that, before spewing hatred against people you don't know and say that you are their fan?:shakehead

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I just don't know what the Habs have to accomplish to end the monotonous complaining that I read daily here. It's one thing to actually point out a deficiency and suggest ways to correct it, totally a fans right and might be appreciated. To constantly have supposed fans ripping into our players, coaches, GM and anyone else employed by the team is not only senseless but very irritating. Why not use the venomous barrage on our opponents players etc. and find in your heart some love and admiration for our team?Shower them with praise for there good showing at this early stage of the season, despite the rash of injuries they have endured.

Merely a thought, but if I were a UFA thinking about cities to enjoy playing for and read the continual bad mouthing the Hab players get here..... Then quite possibly Montreal might not be 1st on my list of teams even if the Habs were my childhood team. People's lives aren't always perfect, but being a fan doesn't give you the right to take your anger out on the Habs. Think about that, before spewing hatred against people you don't know and say that you are their fan?:shakehead

They need to win a cup. Until then, nobody will be happy with being good enough. Our fan base wants the best team.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
They need to win a cup. Until then, nobody will be happy with being good enough. Our fan base wants the best team.

I've been watching the Habs for 50 yrs. and it didn't matter even when they won all those Stanley Cups in the 70's, fans still found reason to complain. Truly aggravating that instead of cheering/applauding the efforts of our team, deriding them even as Champions.:nod:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Instead of making a new thread, I decided to bump this one. I just had an idea that's kind of outside the box to fix our PP problems. What about having PK playing as forward on the PP, I was thinking if forwards can play at the point during special units why can't defenseman do the same?

Let's say you have PK sitting in the slot à la Stamkos/Ovechkin waiting for the one timer, have Desharnais/Gallagher in front of the net. Pacioretty in his usual spot and add Markov and Diaz or Plekanec at the point. With how one dimensional our PP is, I'd say it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver
They're trying to be all fancy and get the puck in the offensive zone by deking through the D... Dump the puck over the D and use your speed to go retrieve it!

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
How about: there is no 'problem' with the power play? We're 7th in the league at 22.6%, ahead of the likes of Colorado, San Jose, Chicago and Pittsburg.

If you want to talk about ways of improving an already efficient system, fine. But stating that there's a problem with the PP is like complaining about your Victoria's Secret model girlfriend who's never on the cover. She's, like, only the 7th hottest woman in the world. :shakehead

True the PP is 7th but heading in the wrong direction from a team that used to be close if not at the top and has looked pathetic on recent occasions

Need someone other than PK to carry the puck into the zone
Need a forward scoring threat off the half boards as mentioned to keep defending forwards honest as now they just cheat towards the D
Need someone with size to set up shop in front of the goalie
Need D that can keep pucks in at the line (Diaz/Cube/Gorges suck at this)

Don't need 3 PP units - most ridiculous thing I've ever seen
Don't need forwards that can't hit the net from the hash marks
Don't need players going offside on the entry - swear Montreal does this more than any other team
Don't need neutral zone turnovers due to poor stretch breakout passes, you're up a man so there should always be a free guy if everyone's moving their feet

couris

Dec 28, 2005
EGG good on the pp? Everytime Eller is on the PP, he turns the puck over or do **** pass.

HarlemsFinest

teh gallys!!1
Jul 2, 2009
Montreal
www.montrealracing.com
the halfboard shooter is key but they need to cycle better and keep moving. the point guys between each other, and the halfboard guy with the guy in the corner and one guy at the other side of the net/corner ready for a rebound or a behind the net pass.

movement will create more confusion, some guys might play their man (try to stick to subban like glue) and one guy could end up playing the position, ending up with 2 guys playing subban leaving the other point open. if you keep it fast and change it room, guys make mistakes and habs can create room.

Analyzer*

Since December, our PP has gone 7 for 58, that's a 12.07%, good for 29th in the league. We suck.

I don't remember who, but someone said our PP wasn't trending downwards.

This is what happens when you rely on the samething over and over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad