Probability of Boudreau getting fired (Mod Edit) 2014-15 Coach/Management Discussion

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
most the red wing banners are division banners and no one says anything about that

Exactly. This "too cool for Division banners" attitude is bizarre. We aren't Montreal with no space left, and we aren't Detroit who hasn't missed the playoffs since before Duckaroosky was born. Acting like it's not good enough for the franchise seems like embarrassingly unwarranted arrogance to me.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Exactly. This "too cool for Division banners" attitude is bizarre. We aren't Montreal with no space left, and we aren't Detroit who hasn't missed the playoffs since before Duckaroosky was born. Acting like it's not good enough for the franchise seems like embarrassingly unwarranted arrogance to me.

Agreed. A Stanley Cup and a few solid seasons has sure made a number of people around here rather entitled to an all-or-nothing attitude for success. Winning your division is an accomplishment this franchise should be proud of despite the lack of the ultimate prize we were seeking.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. We put up a division banner last year, who cares if we do it again this year? Are you guys really so wounded by the second round exit that the memory of our best regular season record to date is forever tarnished or something?

Yes.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Oh okay. 2006-2007 was the only good season we've ever had. I see. Oh no wait. 2002-2003. And 2005-2006. Everything else is irrelevant.

Get over yourself. Best regular season and first time atop the conference isn't irrelevant. It's something to be proud of despite what followed. Winning the cup isn't the only thing that matters in this game. it's the best thing you can do, sure, but many teams every year DON'T win the cup. Or make it to the finals. If making it to that stratosphere that most teams fail to reach year after year decade after decade is the only metric by which you can enjoy yourself as a fan you might need to find yourself a new sport. I'd look into basketball.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Oh okay. 2006-2007 was the only good season we've ever had. I see. Oh no wait. 2002-2003. And 2005-2006. Everything else is irrelevant.

Get over yourself. Best regular season and first time atop the conference isn't irrelevant. It's something to be proud of despite what followed. Winning the cup isn't the only thing that matters in this game. it's the best thing you can do, sure, but many teams every year DON'T win the cup. Or make it to the finals. If making it to that stratosphere that most teams fail to reach year after year decade after decade is the only metric by which you can enjoy yourself as a fan you might need to find yourself a new sport. I'd look into basketball.

Easy there chief

I guess I'm just not as big a fan of above average as you are. I'd rather hang a banner for the truly great teams only. Simmer down with the personal attacks

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
A Division banner isn't "above average"(you want to know what above average is? making the playoffs). It means that, through 82 games(a not insignificant number) the team was the best Pacific team... and the Pac Division is hardly an easy one. Even before the readjustment, the Pacific was a tough one. It isn't some obscure banner that you put up just to put up a banner, it's one that almost every team raises and it's considered an accomplishment. Now, if the team were just resting on the laurels of the banner, that's one thing, but where has anyone gotten the impression that's the case?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Easy there chief

I guess I'm just not as big a fan of above average as you are. I'd rather hang a banner for the truly great teams only. Simmer down with the personal attacks

Well I apologize if I got a bit personal, but I am thoroughly over the nonchalance fans all over the league have towards regular season success. There are 26 teams every year that don't make the conference finals, 28 that don't advance to the finals, and 29 that don't win it all. Suggesting that we are simply "above average" in being one of the top teams in the conference and the division, both of which are among the strongest you'll find in this league is...not to get personal again, asinine. I really have no other word for it. Above average AT BEST, is a team that manages to secure home ice. Though by my interpretation, above average is a team making it in through a challenging Western conference by means of a wild card seeding. Or for another example, lets just say Colorado is at the present time "above average". They certainly had a high finish but haven't been consistently good enough for long enough to merit being labelled one of the West's better teams or even elite. Since Boudreau's takeover, regardless of what that's spelled for us in the playoffs, our win-loss-otl record is elite by the standards of the rest of the NHL. I think that's pretty well above average by now. So yes, I am a fan of being better than most teams over the course of a grueling 82 games. I'm not a fan of playoff failures, but I'm not sitting there and thinking that my team is only a little above middle of the pack because they didn't manage to do what some teams need several decades to do or haven't done period. We aren't management. Expecting perfection and flawless hockey of our team will bear literally zero results on the on ice product and it does far more self harm than good when perfection isn't achieved. And we don't have a long enough history of winning to merit having such lofty expectations year after year.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Some people are just fair weather fans. This part of the world is known for them. It's the only good thing about going through one of our crappy cycles is they go away for a while. It's a sad way to root for a sports team. To think you can only enjoy a team if they're excellent than most of the time you're just going to be miserable.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Some people are just fair weather fans. This part of the world is known for them. It's the only good thing about going through one of our crappy cycles is they go away for a while. It's a sad way to root for a sports team. To think you can only enjoy a team if they're excellent than most of the time you're just going to be miserable.

Lol, disagree with me then call me a fair weather fan. I do enjoy the Ducks thanks for your concern.

I just disagree that they should hang the banner. It's nothing too personal.

But please, go on with your ridiculous claims and absolute statements about everything. You've been making them all summer about every single transaction, why stop now?

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
Good NEWS!!!! 2014 pacific division champion merchandise is on reduced price at the ducks team store!

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Lol, disagree with me then call me a fair weather fan. I do enjoy the Ducks thanks for your concern.

I just disagree that they should hang the banner. It's nothing too personal.

But please, go on with your ridiculous claims and absolute statements about everything. You've been making them all summer about every single transaction, why stop now?

I know you enjoy them, now. But what happens when they aren't above average? You must be younger than I imagine you'd be because I can't imagine you'd feel so entitled to ultimate success with this team had you been a die-hard through the Gauthier years. Any die-hard who had to endure those early days understands the significance of a division championship banner. Plus it's not like they're having a ceremony for it. It's a notch in their belt, a well-deserved notch but still.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I know you enjoy them, now. But what happens when they aren't above average? You must be younger than I imagine you'd be because I can't imagine you'd feel so entitled to ultimate success with this team had you been a die-hard through the Gauthier years. Any die-hard who had to endure those early days understands the significance of a division championship banner. Plus it's not like they're having a ceremony for it. It's a notch in their belt, a well-deserved notch but still.

I've enjoyed the Ducks my whole life dude, and will til the day I die, win or lose I'll always watch. This doesn't even have to do with that. It has to do with me not thinking they should put up a banner every year they win the division. I'm not saying it's not a well above average season. Duckjet's right. It is one of the best seasons in franchise history. But what happens if we win the division 5 out of the next 7 years, and win a couple cups? Do we keep hanging division banners even though we've clearly reached a new standard? IDK...I'd just prefer to hang WC championship and Stanley Cup banners only.You insulting my fandom because of that opinion is a joke and I'm surprised it's allowed on this site tbh.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Well I apologize if I got a bit personal, but I am thoroughly over the nonchalance fans all over the league have towards regular season success. There are 26 teams every year that don't make the conference finals, 28 that don't advance to the finals, and 29 that don't win it all. Suggesting that we are simply "above average" in being one of the top teams in the conference and the division, both of which are among the strongest you'll find in this league is...not to get personal again, asinine. I really have no other word for it. Above average AT BEST, is a team that manages to secure home ice. Though by my interpretation, above average is a team making it in through a challenging Western conference by means of a wild card seeding. Or for another example, lets just say Colorado is at the present time "above average". They certainly had a high finish but haven't been consistently good enough for long enough to merit being labelled one of the West's better teams or even elite. Since Boudreau's takeover, regardless of what that's spelled for us in the playoffs, our win-loss-otl record is elite by the standards of the rest of the NHL. I think that's pretty well above average by now. So yes, I am a fan of being better than most teams over the course of a grueling 82 games. I'm not a fan of playoff failures, but I'm not sitting there and thinking that my team is only a little above middle of the pack because they didn't manage to do what some teams need several decades to do or haven't done period. We aren't management. Expecting perfection and flawless hockey of our team will bear literally zero results on the on ice product and it does far more self harm than good when perfection isn't achieved. And we don't have a long enough history of winning to merit having such lofty expectations year after year.

I'd guess you'd have heard a lot of that exact sentiment in Washington circa 4 years ago.

I'm perfectly happy to hang this banner, but the visceral reaction to a suggestion that maybe we ought not hang this divisional banner is really, really interesting to me. Fairweather, entitled fans, yikes. Why so defensive?

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
this banner talk is getting ridiculous, if someone wants to make a thread about it than go for it

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'd guess you'd have heard a lot of that exact sentiment in Washington circa 4 years ago.

I'm perfectly happy to hang this banner, but the visceral reaction to a suggestion that maybe we ought not hang this divisional banner is really, really interesting to me. Fairweather, entitled fans, yikes. Why so defensive?

I actually don't care either way whether we do or not. It's just a banner. I'm more against the sentiment that we have nothing to be proud of from 2007 until now.

Which granted is more defined on the main boards, directed at us and the overall perception of the regular season being utterly insignificant (just one example that some people go as far as to say that compared to the Conn Smythe trophy, the Hart trophy is useless. So I guess in any rational hockey decision you take Justin Williams before you take Sidney Crosby right? I mean he was the playoff MVP) as a metric of team success. It's that kind of stuff that annoys me and when I see that sentiment here, even if it's not quite at the same extreme, it annoys me. I'm disappointed in our playoff history since winning the cup, but I'm proud of what my team has done the last two seasons as a whole. Use the Washington example all you want. I like the 07-14 era of Ducks hockey a hell of a lot better than I do all the years leading up to 2006. Dominant regular season hockey has been a hell of a lot more fun than that era.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I actually don't care either way whether we do or not. It's just a banner. I'm more against the sentiment that we have nothing to be proud of from 2007 until now.

Which granted is more defined on the main boards, directed at us and the overall perception of the regular season being utterly insignificant (just one example that some people go as far as to say that compared to the Conn Smythe trophy, the Hart trophy is useless. So I guess in any rational hockey decision you take Justin Williams before you take Sidney Crosby right? I mean he was the playoff MVP) as a metric of team success. It's that kind of stuff that annoys me and when I see that sentiment here, even if it's not quite at the same extreme, it annoys me. I'm disappointed in our playoff history since winning the cup, but I'm proud of what my team has done the last two seasons as a whole. Use the Washington example all you want. I like the 07-14 era of Ducks hockey a hell of a lot better than I do all the years leading up to 2006. Dominant regular season hockey has been a hell of a lot more fun than that era.
Oh, I think you care. And I don't see him saying we have nothing to be proud of. Just a different definition of what's worth a banner. Kinda seems more like your problem.

Winning a division is neat. It's like President's Trophy lite. That's about as far as I'll go with it. I'm fine with a banner but I can certainly see the other side. I don't think that makes me arrogant or entitled or fairweather. I care a lot about this team, more than pretty much everybody (though not as much as I did when I was a kid), and I think they've had a lot of throwaway seasons.

edit - you edited while I was answering. You do that. I can understand enjoying the post-lockout-2 seasons more, because there's no argument that we've been a bad team since then. Except for 2 seasons, we've been a great team. It's much better being great than the crap we got from 94-04. That doesn't necessarily mean we need to exalt every single thing we've done since then. That's actually more a signal of insecurity, when it's directed outward.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I care way too much right now, but the peak of my fandom was without a doubt in 2011 during the Nashville series. I had to dial it back after the rage that followed that dreaded game 5 loss. Haven't gotten that upset since.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
I care way too much right now, but the peak of my fandom was without a doubt in 2011 during the Nashville series. I had to dial it back after the rage that followed that dreaded game 5 loss. Haven't gotten that upset since.

why did u bring that game up?!? I was at that game and stayed in my seat for almost 30 minutes after the game in a huge state of shock. The ushers had to ask me to leave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad