News Article: Prior to Holland’s hiring, the Oilers were considering a Milan Lucic buyout

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So he gets bent over in just about every deal he makes but plays hard ball when it comes to moving Lucic?

“One year ago, other clubs said Edmonton’s asks were unrealistic.”
Isn’t the contract so bad that asking for anything back at all is unrealistic? I don’t know what you’d have to offer or do to convince someone it’s a good idea to take it on. That deal is so one-sided for Lucic that anybody who worked on it with Chiarelli should be let go too. I’m assuming the team has a cap expert employed but maybe they don’t.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Isn’t the contract so bad that asking for anything back at all is unrealistic? I don’t know what you’d have to offer or do to convince someone it’s a good idea to take it on. That deal is so one-sided for Lucic that anybody who worked on it with Chiarelli should be let go too. I’m assuming the team has a cap expert employed but maybe they don’t.

For three years Bill Scott has had the title of "Director, Salary Cap Management".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190513-161348_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20190513-161348_Samsung Internet.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Bill Scott "apparently", and expert should be termed very loosely.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Whoever was considering it (K. Gretz, MacT, Howson, etc.) should be getting walking papers or stick to their damn role in management.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Bill Scott "apparently", and expert should be termed very loosely.

I wonder if the cap guys basically just make sure that there is no circumvention that the team could get into trouble over and also show scenarios of how to get under the cap while the GM just spends like a drunken sailor like Chia did?

Reactions: Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's not exactly that odd of a contract. UFA's started pushing for these types of contract. If you want the player this is the price you pay. Unfortunately the GM identified the wrong player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I wonder if the cap guys basically just make sure that there is no circumvention that the team could get into trouble over and also show scenarios of how to get under the cap while the GM just spends like a drunken sailor like Chia did?
The cap guy should be modeling all sorts of scenarios, looking out over several years and pouring over other rosters to look for opportunities. If it was me I'd sit down with the GM regularly to get a feel of who will play what role this year, next year and going forward. Where will replacements likely come from inside and where will the need to look to trades or UFA's. What is the likely cost of a top 6 winger??? What is a reasonable number for a veteran #5 RHD as a UFA on a one year deal vs a longer term offer that could reduce the cap hit for an aging player. Which current stars need new deals and how might that skew costs league wide. For example it was predictable that McDavid's deal was going to be a reset. Who will trigger the net reset. Knowing this in advance is valuable. We talk about analytics trying to tell you how good someone is defensively, but in reality cap planning is something that analytics is really well suited to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I would use a cap guy, like my accountant. Tell me what I can and can’t do, along with any benefits or negative factors in any deal I make. I don’t think he’s there to tell the GM what players to sign at what price. If a GM likes a player enough and the cap guy says he has so much to spend on a player. Then the GM will make the deal. Also almost every team in the league is in cap trouble. It’s the cost of trying to compete.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would use a cap guy, like my accountant. Tell me what I can and can’t do, along with any benefits or negative factors in any deal I make. I don’t think he’s there to tell the GM what players to sign at what price. If a GM likes a player enough and the cap guy says he has so much to spend on a player. Then the GM will make the deal. Also almost every team in the league is in cap trouble. It’s the cost of trying to compete.
I think the best guy in the NHL wouldn't have convinced Chia not to sign Lucic. Chia had a plan and sold it to a lot of people and for most accounts looked really good early on.

Reactions: Raab

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the director of Salary cap literally has to make an annon HFOil account and make a post claiming that buying out lucic would be a good idea and within an hour he would have every ramiification he needed to know.

imagine feaster did that BEFORE he offersheeted Oreilly lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
the director of Salary cap literally has to make an annon HFOil account and make a post claiming that buying out lucic would be a good idea and within an hour he would have every ramiification he needed to know.

imagine feaster did that BEFORE he offersheeted Oreilly lol
Gregor has said time and time again if PC was more vocal with the media and had asked what people thought about Manning that he would've found out rather quickly that it was a bad move.

Funny how people who don't work for you can help you at times.

Also, what if that leak about the buyout was the Oilers leaking it just to see? I assume Friedman got his info from Bagdad Bob like usual, so who knows.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I can understand Canucks fans not wanting Lucic's extra year and NMC for Eriksson, but demanding Oilers retain 1,2 or 3 mil is funny. Imagine paying LE 6mil+retained salary for 3 years. In that scenario it makes no sense to even move Lucic.

Benning is in the same position the Oilers will be in next offseason. Wait till July 1st and pay the signing bonus and then move him.

If Holland wants to try and make the playoffs "and build for the future" I really don't see a deal out there that makes sense without dealing a big part of the future away. He's handcuffed pretty good.

Oilers should be better than their record shows. They need to find consistency and avoid those season guttering losing streaks. Chiarelli's lack of urgency to find a step in player for Sekera played a major part in their lack of success the last two years. Doing too much and forcing a trade now could do more damage then necessary at this point.

We'll need to sacrifice a bouncing chicken to help stave off any major injuries next season. ;)

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad