News Article: Prior to Holland’s hiring, the Oilers were considering a Milan Lucic buyout

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I think the best case scenario for Lucic is to trade for another bad contract and gamble that the player coming back has some potential to turn things around.
Lucic might turns things around (likely not) with another team but he definitely wont be turning things around in Edmonton.
He has to go.

He was out for a few games and the old wimpy Oilers returned with a vengeance. You saw it. Look back at some of the posts. The Rangers pushed them around. Ran em out of their own rink. The Rangers! ;)

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
2B962A87-8F1B-4A5B-A488-16ED2A5DACC8.png
Yikes

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Just press box him until he gets the message, I'm sure he's way to proud to be treated like a child, lol.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Keep him until the new CBA (if you can’t trade him) and pray for a new round of compliance buyouts.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
A Lucic buyout makes zero sense. Just play him on the 4th line and deploy him as a goon. Who knows, maybe we get lucky and he can at least be a 35 point guy and not be a liability on the ice.

Reactions: bucks_oil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He was out for a few games and the old wimpy Oilers returned with a vengeance. You saw it. Look back at some of the posts. The Rangers pushed them around. Ran em out of their own rink. The Rangers! ;)

Actually if the team ever could have gotten to the playoffs I think Lucic would have been a factor.
That aside he is a liability IMO.

Last edited:

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
A Lucic buyout makes zero sense. Just play him on the 4th line and deploy him as a goon. Who knows, maybe we get lucky and he can at least be a 35 point guy and not be a liability on the ice.
Makes sense :thumbu:

Oct 15, 2017
Just spit balling here.

Lucic and JP and a 2nd(2020) to Florida

Huberdeau and Reimer to Edmonton.

Florida gets some tough which they lack and a good young prospect to work with fellow Finn Barkov

Oilers get a back up and top six winger

There are some no NMC to deal with but if they waived them seems like a fair trade for both

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just spit balling here.

Florida gets some tough which they lack and a good young prospect to work with fellow Finn Barkov

There are some no NMC to deal with but if they waived them seems like a fair trade for both

You realize Huberdeau had 92 points last season and is signed longterm with a salary cheaper than Lucic's, right?

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Seemed like looch has been trying to pull his own trade with the nucks .He would be ok in the playoffs , but I think he Hates it in Edmonton. Unless the next coach can bring him back into the fold he is as good as gone. I'm not a fan of Holland but I also think he is a gm that can move him. I'm sure they will chat over the summer and may see a move at the draft

BCNeil

Apr 21, 2016
A buyout makes little sense financially. It's actually hard to believe this was seriously considered.

Reactions: thadd

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Just spit balling here.

Come on dude

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I already said this in another thread, but to me, the extra cap space in the upcoming year (where the Oil have legit cap worries) from buying him out makes it worth it.

The 2nd year would be the hardest to deal with, but the Oil have a number of contracts coming off the books then, and the 4th year is a possible lockout year (or the cap hit could be removed due to the new CBA).

The three extra years of 625k don't matter at all, as they are essentially less than the cap rate of inflation.

Buying him out also means he doesn't have to be protected in the expansion draft.

If there's a trade for Lucic that doesn't involve bringing in another radioactive boat anchor of a contract, I'm all for it, but I'd rather buy out Lucic than trade him for Eriksson or Ryan.

Reactions: Little Fury

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Too soon to buy his contract out. We can't afford to absorb that. We're better off just putting him on the 3rd or 4th line for 2-3 more seasons.
If nobody wants him we're going to have to just put up with it for a few years.

think it's funny how many people keep on saying he's going on LTIR due to his back/neck condition. It's not happening. He's never missed a game due to this condition. Many people with his condition live painfully horrible lives, but there isn't a single article to be found on the internet that suggests that it's disabling him.

People need to wake up and come back to reality. For him to go on LTIR he needs to say that his condition is unbearable and doctors need to agree that it's stopping him from being the best hockey player that he can be. Everything hinges on Lucic saying he can't bare it and that's not going to happen because he's a very manly man. Whether or not it's ever bothered him, we're probably never going to know about it and that is that.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Keep him until the new CBA (if you can’t trade him) and pray for a new round of compliance buyouts.

It wasn't long ago when I thought there would be a new CBA followed by amnesty buyouts the season before Seattle came into the league. It was surely less than 2 years ago. Players are owners are seeing their salaries and profits increase at a good enough rate right now that there's probably no reason for them to play with fire.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's no one who has been down on Lucic more than me on this board. I was one of the few if not the only that predicted not only would he not bounce back last season but would be even worse. Most of the board was saying he would.

So saying that, I think buying him out would be stupid.

Even if he makes one player think better of doing something stupid to McDavid or Draisaitl even just once next year, he's worth having as a 4th line goon if nothing else.

You can then retain 50% on him on July 1, 2020 and his remaining actual dollar amount goes down to 1.67 million average salary for 3 years ... that should be tradable without that much fuss especially since he likely will be willing to waive for Seattle anyway.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Whenever we make a big blockbuster signing it bites us in the arse. Chiarelli, MacLelland, Lucic, I’m hoping Holland isn’t the same fate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad