Primeau upset Goodenow with his contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrobruin

Mar 19, 2002
London Ont.
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
This is laughable. Look at the article you posted. Do the math yourself. The guy who wrote it said 75% because that is what the league says, and he's too lazy to do any real research.

Actually, becuase I know some here won't do it themselves, here is the math from that article:

Revenue: $2 billion
Average payroll: 41.6 million
Total Payroll: (41.6 million*30) $1.25 billion
% of revenue used for player salary: (1250000000/2000000000) 62.5%

So if we use your simple math,when the NHLPA offered 24% off discount .They were in effect willing to play for only 39% of the revenues.

Try again

Petr

A Good Flying Bird*

CarlRacki said:
Just so I understand the "new" definitions of hostile and accomodating, courtesy of newsguyone ...

Accomodating: (adj.) Name-calling, threatening, belittling.
Hostile: (adj.) Refusing to give the players what they want.

Am I clear on this? Why, pray tell, are the owners "hostile" for sticking to their principles (i.e. cost certainty) yet the players are accomodating for sticking to theirs (i.e. working at Wal-Mart is better than a capped NHL). Seems to me they're both entrenched in their positions, yet you claim only one side is hostile. Hmmm.

The owners haven't given an inch? Well, they've increased their cap number, lowered the age of RFA, increased the percentage of revenues for players and increased the minimum salary. I know, I know, that doesn't count.

Look at where the sides started.
Look at how much they've changed.
That's what counts.
All this other garbage is far to the peripheral for anyone seriously looking at the situation.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
chriss_co said:
I hope you are joking... cuz NO, it isn't... money isn't everything in life...

living in a comfortable setting is important for families.. maybe philly is an excellent city (ive never been there so i cant say)

more importantly, moving kids from school to school can be stressful for the little ones.. (not to mention city to city)

so yea.. money isn't everything...
who said anything about moving? if primeau would have held out for abit more, wouldn't that be more security for his family?

and no, i'm not joking...

primeau settled for the money he signed for and thats just fine...who are you and i to say that its enough or not enough...but generally, getting the most you can at a profession like hockey is the primary goal of most 33 year olds ... sometimes money is not enough...but you can't fault them for not milking it at this stage in their career.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
petrobruin said:
So if we use your simple math,when the NHLPA offered 24% off discount .They were in effect willing to play for only 39% of the revenues.

Try again

Petr

Maybe you should try again. 39% of last year's revenue would be about $780 million. Divided among the 30 teams, average payroll would have been $26 million.

After the 24% cut, there would have been approximately $854 million in committed payroll, with about 100 players unsigned. Using last year's avergae salary of $1.8 million(a very, very liberal way to do this), add $180 million for those players, which brings the total to a little over a billion dollars, or a little over 50% of last year's revenues.

Sammy*

Newsguyone said:
Look at where the sides started.
Look at how much they've changed.
That's what counts.
All this other garbage is far to the peripheral for anyone seriously looking at the situation.
Well, of course the players have moved more. Do you actually think its been anything close to an even playing field over the last 10 years.
You guys are so predictable its too funny.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
Psycho Joe said:
I'm one of the few on this site that actually looks at both sides. Most people buy Bettman's line hook, line and sinker without acknowledging it's the owners who offered these players all this money.

I think there are very few people who don't think the owners share some fo the blame for the state of the NHL, but the time for blame has passed. It doesn't really matter who's to blame anymore, it's time to fix things before we lose it forever. I think the main criticism of the NHLPA is that while they acknowledge there's a problem (by virtue of the offered 24% rollback), they refuse to address it. I don't think ANYONE blames the players for accepting the ludicrous offers.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Marconius said:
I think there are very few people who don't think the owners share some fo the blame for the state of the NHL, but the time for blame has passed. It doesn't really matter who's to blame anymore, it's time to fix things before we lose it forever. I think the main criticism of the NHLPA is that while they acknowledge there's a problem (by virtue of the offered 24% rollback), they refuse to address it. I don't think ANYONE blames the players for accepting the ludicrous offers.
The owners themselves have admitted they created this problem(along with greedy agents) the owners also have agreed that they now need to FIX their mistakes... the problem here is that most of them are so competative that they are working against one another, and therin lies the problem! How to fix the problem is the Million $$$ question...

myrocketsgotcracked

thinkwild said:
Crosby gets $850 k for about 3 years, then perhaps $1.5-2 mil for 2 years. Then 4-5 mil until he is 27 when he gets 7 mil. Then at 31 he is a UFA. Although you;d think a smart organization would offer him a 7 year contract when is 27. Most importantly he can accept whatever he chooses from whoever he chooses as a UFA. IF his current team is good, is winning, he likes it, he will accept a reasonable ofer to stay like Alfie, and they will afford it. If he doesnt want to stay he will leave even if there is a cap.

if crosby signs a similar contract to kovalchuk's, then he may get the 4-5 mil for the first 3 yrs (from all the bonus), and when his rookie contract is up, he wont take a pay cut, so he can only move up from the 4-5 mil. i think this is why gaborik held out last season, because he refused to take a pay cut, but the wilds didnt want to pay him $3M+.

myrocketsgotcracked

thinkwild said:
How will the magical SCORES system drive up prices?

Why would teams jack up the prices for RFAs. All their salaries are basically set. We know what an Iginla is worth. We know what Havlat and Gaborik should get. What they have always held out for was their fair value in the system the owners have defined. Once its stabalized after these changes, why would anyone jack up their salaries. NYR will be forced to pay the comparable rates set in Calgary, Florida and Phoenix.

Now UFA salaries wont be capped. But of course they arent used in arbitration, and it doesnt matter what they are paid at. Owners will have the ability to make a decision that risks losing money. Nothing wrong with that. Some of them are risk takers. Others succeed without big spending risks

I cant see why this framework of the players doesnt fix the system. It is fixed.

funny how you mention havlat and gaborik. 2 summers ago, when the contracts of those 2 players and richards expired, they were all looking for similar contracts because they were similar in age, skill, experience and production. after TB signs richards to a huge contract, havlat and gaborik held out for similar money. i remember somebody (i think its the Ott's GM) blaming the TB GM for overpaying and driving up salaries for the sens and wilds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad