Post-Game Talk: Pricer 3:15 -- Habs 3-1 win over Wings!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
His game does not need to be an effort game like Gallaghers, that's not what I am talking about. He always arrives late on a forecheck and his back-check/pressure is nonexistent, that is my concern. He has no concept of hockey being a team game, he just looks like a solo project on skates. I actually LOL when I watch him skate into 3 guys with the puck on his stick trying to deke them, it's a joke man. We need much better than Drouin and hopefully, he is gone at seasons end.
I also laugh out loud watching Drouin.

Reactions: OldCraig71

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Dryden also played for only 7-8 season or whatever it was. He was absolutely dominant for that stretch, but his stats don’t have the early and late years stats dragging his overall stats down.

And he played for powerhouses.when he left that one year the team still did exceptionally well regular season, only lost in the playoffs.

I’m not diminishing Dryden (why the **** would I), and I’m not pumping price, but context is important. Price has played for some serious ****house teams
yes and his losing record reflects that.

Jul 6, 2016
Ken Dryden left to pursue a career as a lawyer iirc. He was earning $80,000 a year and wanted to earn $125,000 but the Canadiens were hesitant to give it to him. ( I read this)

He did that after his second or third season with the Habs. He was ONE full season away(1973-1974) from the club. Nowadays, fans would tell that he is a hot-headed, spoiled brat...

He finally agreed to a new contract with Pollock. When in left after the last SC, it was not about salary. He had enough and wanted to pursue other career goals.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
some people are just that "everyone should get a trophy" :sarcasm:

Keeping score ? Is it really necessary? :laugh:

This post looks to me like a classic PaulD quotable.

So, I am preemptively quoting it before you quote it yourself. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
He did that after his second or third season with the Habs. He was ONE full season away(1973-1974) from the club. Nowadays, fans would tell that he is a hot-headed, spoiled brat...
Sitting out a full year would be idiotic nowadays. You’ll never make that money back
Ask Le’veon Bell. He look like the biggest idiot ever
Saying that I don’t blame Dryden. Owners were completely fleecing players back in the 70s
Habs were a a cash cow back then as well and couldn’t buck up 40 k?
That’s just cheap

Jul 6, 2016
Sitting out a full year would be idiotic nowadays. You’ll never make that money back
Ask Le’veon Bell. He look like the biggest idiot ever
Saying that I don’t blame Dryden. Owners were completely fleecing players back in the 70s
Habs were a a cash cow back then as well and couldn’t buck up 40 k?
That’s just cheap

He was the ONLY ONE, in the whole NHL who did it back then.

Dryden is a special man. I respect him for that. But he did not think about the rest of the team and team mates for sure.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
He was the ONLY ONE, in the whole NHL who did it back then.

Dryden is a special man. I respect him for that. But he did not think about the rest of the team and team mates for sure.
I get that but the habs were trying to Nickle and dime him. I’m sure they coulda settled somewhere in between. Both at fault. Especially when we’re talking 100k. Not a 50 million dollar contract. And especially when it’was one of the richest team.
It comes across petty from the ownership
I know my dad still talks about it and still can’t understand why the habs did this.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

He finally agreed to a new contract with Pollock. When in left after the last SC, it was not about salary. He had enough and wanted to pursue other career goals.
I remember reading something, where he alluded to being so beat and tired, and just knew their Cup runs were close to being over. Teams were coming hard for them, and the Isles were right there...he did hold a law degree and wanted to break away from pro sports to be more a regular joe and spend time with family etc

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
His game does not need to be an effort game like Gallaghers, that's not what I am talking about. He always arrives late on a forecheck and his back-check/pressure is nonexistent, that is my concern. He has no concept of hockey being a team game, he just looks like a solo project on skates. I actually LOL when I watch him skate into 3 guys with the puck on his stick trying to deke them, it's a joke man. We need much better than Drouin and hopefully, he is gone at seasons end.
Some guys who play don't understand that, just because they're passing it away, doesn't mean they won't get it back. Even guys I played with growing up were like this and as a guy who was always pass-first, it's infuriating.

You don't have to do it all yourself. Use your guys. Get into a good spot. You'll get the puck back and most likely get a good chance. That's what hockey's about, moving the puck around until the D make a mistake.

For some reason, this concept is hard for some players to grasp.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I remember reading something, where he alluded to being so beat and tired, and just knew their Cup runs were close to being over. Teams were coming hard for them, and the Isles were right there...he did hold a law degree and wanted to break away from pro sports to be more a regular joe and spend time with family etc

Saw him the other day at a conference. Very smart man!

Reactions: BLONG7

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ken Dryden left to pursue a career as a lawyer iirc. He was earning $80,000 a year and wanted to earn $125,000 but the Canadiens were hesitant to give it to him. ( I read this)

Dryden also had something to do though. Articling. Yvan Cournoyer didn't have such other thing to do.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
5v5 Corsi =/= controlling high danger chances.

Price saved our bacon last night we are all just getting used to it again.
There are a bunch of stats out there that teams are highly secretive about. Every now and then you get an article where somebody busts these stats out and you see that in close we were one of the worst teams in the league at giving up chances in close but at the same time we were good at limiting overall shots.

I wish those kinds of stats were more readily available because it is hard to judge goalies. We basically have one stat that we go on: save percentage. That's it. And that number is not cumulative it's average based. So a goalie can play great hockey for two months and then have a terrible game and that stat takes a huge hit.

As an example, Price was .928 from the time Weber returned until the Ducks game. After that match he dropped to .922.... it's insane.

As I mentioned, in the earlier article I posted we were great at limiting shots but terrible at letting shots in close at least until December (don't know about since then) and Price was saving at 5 points above replacement. Where do these guys pull these kinds of stats from? It's times like these that I wish @Talks to Goalposts was still around.

Last night was a good example. I guess we only gave up 22 shots but there were tons of great saves that Price made. I don't know how you capture that statistically.

Reactions: Canadienna

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I get that but the habs were trying to Nickle and dime him. I’m sure they coulda settled somewhere in between. Both at fault. Especially when we’re talking 100k. Not a 50 million dollar contract. And especially when it’was one of the richest team.
It comes across petty from the ownership
I know my dad still talks about it and still can’t understand why the habs did this.
Dryden sat out with a year left on his contract. He wanted to renegotiate in the middle of his two year contract. It doesn't come across as petty from ownership at all.

I was a kid then and I was devastated that he missed a year. But this is not in ownership. Salaries were being inflated by the WHA and Dryden wanted a piece of the action.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad