Value of: Price (with retention down to $9M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
One question for the Avs fans to end this discussion. I give you 2 choices.

a)You sign Alex P for 9.25 million. You have a tough decision on who you want to trade D wise in off season. But you make your potentially biggest rival much much weaker at d and yourself much much stronger at D. Goalies stays the same.

b) You spend 9 million on Price and give Habs 85% of Habs fans perceived value. Whatever that is Graves, or Girard, or 1 plus Francouz just no offer with Jost or Z.

Who are you picking?
This is like saying if for the rest of your life you can choose one meal that has 0 calories no matter how much you eat it and your options are Pizza or broccoli. I would give up assets to get Pietrangelo at 9M however I wouldn’t take Price at 9M if he came with two first rounders. These are two polar opposite answers.

Avs have a good thing going with their cap structure. Not willing to ruin that. Especially when they’re getting far better goaltending than Montreal is anyway.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
This is like saying if for the rest of your life you can choose one meal that has 0 calories no matter how much you eat it and your options are Pizza or broccoli. I would give up assets to get Pietrangelo at 9M however I wouldn’t take Price at 9M if he came with two first rounders. These are two polar opposite answers.

Avs have a good thing going with their cap structure. Not willing to ruin that. Especially when they’re getting far better goaltending than Montreal is anyway.
Thank you!

And this is the lesson. Give credit where it is due. Price played out of his mind game 1 and 2. But there are 10 options better for Avs to spend the 9m in salary cap. If Gru or Francouz fall apart this playoff, then we can revisit Avs options. But as of today easy easy call.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But isn't Vegas ready to move on from Fleury with Lehner? In the 3 seasons with Vegas, his states have declined. Albeit slowly but still. As for Price, he does have value. Just not as much as Montreal desperately wants and considerably more than this board will give. There are only so many teams that are looking for a good/great goalie in the league with a $9 million price tag for the next 6 years that's in his early 30's. Take half of the salary and you pretty much open up half the league I would think. Take a bad contract in return and then you will have gm's drooling.

I look at Price realistically having 2-3 more years of stellar play, 2-3 years of average play and 1 year of below average. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I see and I'm sure a lot of people outside of Montreal and their fans do as well.

If I'm a gm, my offer for Carey would be a cap dump, a high end prospect, a mid range prospect and 3-4 conditional picks and none of those would be from the 2020 draft for Carey at 50%. That being said, it would have to be a team pushing to be a contender now without solid goaltending.

Montreal does not desperately want to move Price. Especially if we retain and have to sell on $0.50 on the dollar. Price at 50% retention is BS

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At least we know players are being consistent in voting wrong goalies. Because all of them dont belong to this list for last season. And Bobrovsky needs to be some kind of joke or something

Players are more right than you or I are. Keep dreaming that you know more about that

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With average defence what SV% can we expect from Carey Price?. Since your argument about Price having average stats was usually about him playing behind average defense. Current Avs goalies where at 923/916 for last season for reference.

Price could be the difference between cup or no cup. We will see how the Avs feel about the $5M goalie strategy after this playoffs. Anyways, this is not a Price to Avs trade thread.

Many of you think he has negative value and I think you are guilty of trying to double down on retention and buying low. It's not going to happen. He has less risks in his contract than a top pair D like Burns does.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Price could be the difference between cup or no cup. We will see how the Avs feel about the $5M goalie strategy after this playoffs. Anyways, this is not a Price to Avs trade thread.

Many of you think he has negative value and I think you are guilty of trying to double down on retention and buying low. It's not going to happen. He has less risks in his contract than a top pair D like Burns does.

The issue is that its you or your fellow Habs fans that always bring up the Avs and Price...
I have yet to see an Avs fan that has serious interest in Price unless you retain atleast 3M (which is very unrealistic)....

Even if our goaltending falters (and there is no real reason to believe that it will considering how consistently good these guys have been for us so far), we certainly won't look towards Price or pine for his ugly contract.
There are probably 15 other possibilites that we would explore before bringing in that contract and ruining our cap situation for good.

We also will never find out whether Price is the difference between a cup for us or not because we are never trading for him so why bother with hypotheticals?
Maybe the difference between us winning and not winning a cup will have been because we refused to give up a 2nd rounder for a third line center in 2022? Or because we protected the wrong guy in the expansion draft? Too bad we can't switch between different universes to find out. So I guess we will never find out..

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
I’m going to propose this trade again as it seems like this topic comes up every second day now.

Price (at 7 million) for Grubauer and a second round pick.

Reason for this: Unfortunate for Montreal severely overpaying Price. That’s their GM’s fault, Colorado won’t bail them out for that. Since Grub is going the other way, a 2nd round pick will equal out their (perceived) difference in skill.

If you don’t like that trade, you might be able to get another late round pick if you ask nicely.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m going to propose this trade again as it seems like this topic comes up every second day now.

Reason for this: Unfortunate for Montreal severely overpaying Price. That’s their GM’s fault, Colorado won’t bail them out for that. Since Grub is going the other way, a 2nd round pick will equal out their (perceived) difference in skill.

If you don’t like that trade, you might be able to get another late round pick if you ask nicely.

giphy.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That would imply even a single person in here actually has interest in Price with retention.

The reality is Colorado and every other team in the league has 0 interest in Price. If they did, a deal would have already been done because you can bet your house that Montreal would have moved him long ago if they got even a semi-valued offer put on the table.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would imply even a single person in here actually has interest in Price with retention.

The reality is Colorado and every other team in the league has 0 interest in Price. If they did, a deal would have already been done because you can bet your house that Montreal would have moved him long ago if they got even a semi-valued offer put on the table.

That's not reality. That is your opinion and you believe it's reality cause of HF board band wagon party

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
You're joking right?

EDIT: Though in saying that, Sid doesn't have anywhere near the value he once had. Because again just like Price he's already 33 years old and his best years are well behind him.

Not negative value like Price... But he's also not overpaid like Price is, and he's still one of the absolute best players in his position unlike Price.
No i am not ,
Price is said by the players that he his the best goalie in the league so is Crosby (in my opnion) , so why this is so different from Price being a cap dumb versus Crosby holding lots of value.
You guys are just Prices haters i guess

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
No i am not ,
Price is said by the players that he his the best goalie in the league so is Crosby (in my opnion) , so why this is so different from Price being a cap dumb versus Crosby holding lots of value.
You guys are just Prices haters i guess

Because one is a goalie (!) on a beyond horrible contract and one is a center (!) on a mediocre contract...
Also the difference between Crosby and the average center in the league is gigantic.
The difference between Price and an average goalie often is not even that great (if Price is cold and the goalie is hot, the other goalie might even be better)...

The truth is that paying goalies like RBs in football is a bad idea because you usually can only play 1 of them in crunch time (which means very limited demand by average supply) and their contribution is often inconsistent and relies heavily on their defense/system (or offense line and blocking scheme in the NFL) and they are usually rather replacable in comparison to the top end centers or Ds that you can never get your hands on unless you are really lucky...
Just look how good goalies under Trotz or in Columbus usually look. Best example for why paying big bucks to goalies makes no sense.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Avs politely decline. They aren’t adding assets to swap Grubauer with Price lol.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
based on what? three games? look at the last three years.

i know the answer will be the team in front of price. on the other hand, if you discuss roy and hasek with MTL fans, hasek's missing titles in buffalo are used as the equalizer between them. no word about the team in front of hasek, which was mostly worse than what price has in montreal today.

you can laugh all you want about that offer, but in the end you won't get much better offers. price is not worth 10.5 million the next 6 years. price might be worth 8 million right now and for part of the contract. so if you expect to get value back you have to retain below 8 millions.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
based on what? three games? look at the last three years.

i know the answer will be the team in front of price. on the other hand, if you discuss roy and hasek with MTL fans, hasek's missing titles in buffalo are used as the equalizer between them. no word about the team in front of hasek, which was mostly worse than what price has in montreal today.

you can laugh all you want about that offer, but in the end you won't get much better offers. price is not worth 10.5 million the next 6 years. price might be worth 8 million right now and for part of the contract. so if you expect to get value back you have to retain below 8 millions.

giphy.gif

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Inconsistent. Huge cap hit. Getting old.

Not an easy sell.

Retain 50% and youll have more luck finding a taker. At that point his contract stops being a problem.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

It should also be known that there are ZERO Carey Price trade proposals ever started by anyone but Habs fans. Just like Drouin. When nobody is asking for these players perhaps it’s time for fans to start realizing it’s because nobody wants them. However we keep seeing these threads created by Habs fans and when everyone explains how poor the trade value of said players are, the fans start freaking out. If they’d just stop trying to force these players on everyone else In the first place they wouldn’t have to spend their days being so offended.

Carey Price (and Jonathan Drouin) have value as hockey players. However they don’t as trade targets because of their overpaid, drastic-term contracts. Just let them play on the Habs and enjoy what you have.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Inconsistent. Huge cap hit. Getting old.

Not an easy sell.

Retain 50% and youll have more luck finding a taker. At that point his contract stops being a problem.

At 50% the contract is a bargain. I know 10M is overpaid but 5M is underpaid

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Semi true i guess. At 5 million hes still in the top 15 paid goalies. At 6 million hes closer to number 5. At more than 6 mil teams wouls start to hmm and haw because of cap hits. So 50% retention isnt far off of what would required to get serious attention. 40%? That puts his hit at 6.2. At that point you would start to see a decent return.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
GMs and players vote him best G in the league and none of them would take him? Checks out

Reactions: abo9

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
compared to whom?
bob? sure
hank? definitely
fleury? maybe
schneider? extremely
jones? wow

how long?
two years? yes