Value of: Price (with retention down to $9M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Some create value threads when a star player is not trending well. Well how about now with Price? :sarcasm:

The only issue with Price is he is a bit overpaid. Those of you who think he is/was done, you are ignoring the context of Price playing on a team that has flaws and we may address them bit by bit with kids maturing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With a flat cap for the foreseeable future and that contract having 6 more years on it...good luck with that...

$9M + $1M back-up = $10M for both goalies.

* $10M for two goalies is not terrible and many teams will be in the $8M - $10M range for both their goalies very very soon. Sooner than you think.
* Flat cap is an issue but 6 more years of Price from 33-38 is not a negative. Name me your list of elite level goalies that fell hard in that age range?

Price is that dam good that many teams will consider that if they need a goalie and can fit it in. Plus the Habs would almost take a goalie contract the other way cause it's reasonable. For a team like the Avs, it might be the difference in a cup or no cup. You think the Avs win cups without Roy back when? Doubt it.

You can act like this is a negative all you want but Price at $9M for 6 years is a steal... even from age 33-38. He's in tip top shape and I don't see that changing. The only modest concern is 37 and 38 years and that's hard to predict. But that also applies to many other players who are considered elite today at 33 and signed for 6 or more years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There won't be any takers, especially now with a flat cap.

On HF boards yeah. In real NHL GM life? If they can fit it and they are a contender (like the Avs for example), you better give your head a shake if you think Price is not a game changer.

He's not for sale anyways. Just a good time to bring up the value thread cause so many are quick to jump on his back when he is down and not carrying the Habs 100% of the time.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015

* $10M for two goalies is not terrible and many teams will be in the $8M - $10M range for both their goalies very very soon. Sooner than you think.
* Flat cap is an issue but 6 more years of Price from 33-38 is not a negative. Name me your list of elite level goalies that fell hard in that age range?

Price is that dam good that many teams will consider that if they need a goalie and can fit it in. Plus the Habs would almost take a goalie contract the other way cause it's reasonable. For a team like the Avs, it might be the difference in a cup or no cup. You think the Avs win cups without Roy back when? Doubt it.

You can act like this is a negative all you want but Price at $9M for 6 years is a steal... even from age 33-38. He's in tip top shape and I don't see that changing. The only modest concern is 37 and 38 years and that's hard to predict. But that also applies to many other players who are considered elite today at 33 and signed for 6 or more years.

Roy had just turned 30 right before the trade. Price will be 33 in 10 days. There was also no salary cap to worry about at that time, not to mention Roy>>>>>Price.

Just keep Price, unless you want to give up picks and/or prospects and retain salary to get rid of him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Roy had just turned 30 right before the trade. Price will be 33 in 10 days. There was also no salary cap to worry about at that time, not to mention Roy>>>>>Price.

Just keep Price, unless you want to give up picks and/or prospects and retain salary to get rid of him.

Price from 33-38 at $9M is very solid value. We do plan on keeping Price. This is a value thread and it's time we talk about him when he is trending well for a change. Too many want to talk about him when he is not trending well and they ignore the Habs flaws on our roster which exposes Price from time to time

$10M for two goalies is not a huge problem. Many will be in the $8M - $10M range soon and some already are.

Did you know that Vegas took on Fleury from 33-37 :sarcasm:. They don't seem to be worried about it. A whopping $2M difference eh! Huge problem :laugh:

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

You can try to rationalize it to yourself as much as you want, but it won’t change the fact that his contract is toxic.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I don’t believe you’ll find any interest if offered or free. Flat Cap eliminated most teams of interest. Keep him.

Reactions: Morrison

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014

Difference is the salary cap now. On a soon to be contender team that would be a terrible management when you have to sign Makar and Landeskog soon on a cap flat. I get that our goalies are still unproven but goalies comes and goes nowadays with the likes of Binnington, Murray, Crawford who were relatively unknown before having their Stanley Cup ring. I believe that with our goalies (both looked very good so far in the round robin) our team have everything to go far this year and if they lose I highly doubt it will be because of goaltending. With Price's salary that basically equals to our two goalies and our #1 dman salary combined. At 9M$ I would much rather target a dman like Petro (probably resigns in STL though)

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Price at $9mm + Romanov for a 7th rounder in 2027. That contract still holds significant negative value. It’s still a toxic mix of too much AAV, wrong position, too old and flat cap.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
lot's of goalies have shown well these playoffs that could be available for much less cap hit/acquiring costs. Murray, Holtby, Reimer, Smith, Lehner come to mind. Price's contract is still considered an anchor in my opinion

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Price from 33-38 at $9M is very solid value. We do plan on keeping Price. This is a value thread and it's time we talk about him when he is trending well for a change. Too many want to talk about him when he is not trending well and they ignore the Habs flaws on our roster which exposes Price from time to time
It’s been 3 games, chill. The last 3 games the Avs goalies (Francouz and Grubauer) have given up a grand total of 3 goals, while Price has given up 8 goals during the last 3 games. Grubauer is 28 and Francouz is 30 and their combined cap hit for the Avs this year was $4.28 million.

Speaking of older elite goalies, just look at Henrik Lunqvist’s stats from age 34-37:

Age 34 - 2.74 GAA, 0.910 SV%
Age 35 - 2.98 GAA, 0.915 SV%
Age 36 - 3.07 GAA, 0.907 SV%
Age 37 - 3.16 GAA, 0.905 SV%

Average - 2.99 GAA, 0.909 SV%

Montreal fans need to realize that Price, his age, and his albatross contract hold a combined negative value, especially given that there will be a flat cap for a while.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s been 3 games, chill. The last 3 games the Avs goalies (Francouz and Grubauer) have been given up a grand total of 3 goals, while Price has given up 8 goals during the last 3 games. Grubauer is 28 and Francouz is 30 and their combined cap hit for the Avs this year was $4.28 million.

Speaking of older elite goalies, just look at Henrik Lunqvist’s stats from age 34-37:

Age 34 - 2.74 GAA, 0.910 SV%
Age 35 - 2.98 GAA, 0.915 SV%
Age 36 - 3.07 GAA, 0.907 SV%
Age 37 - 3.16 GAA, 0.905 SV%

Average - 2.99 GAA, 0.909 SV%

Montreal fans need to realize that Price, his age, and his albatross contract hold a combined negative value, especially given that there will be a flat cap for a while.

Any value to when the Rangers decided to trade and rebuild and how this is in line with Lundqvist? I bet you ignore this. And you found 1. Any more? 1 example is enough eh?

We will see how far the Avs go with Francouz and Grubauer). It could work out for them or not. We will see in this next round and maybe futures rounds after.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He has significant negative value.
Yeah he is looking good but that does not change anything in that regard..

Especially with the expansion draft looming, a ton of cheaper quality goalies will flood the market and be way more attractive than an aging Price on an albatross contract..

Also the Avs right now are probably the last team that would be interested.
Yeah we have a goalie controversy right now.
Because both guys have looked absolutely incredible so far since the restart....

Reactions: McJedi

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I disagree with those saying there would be NO interest - especially when using "free" as a baseline, because it's difficult for any team to add any player in the $9M range for free lol. I'm sure another contract (albeit maybe in the $4-5M range) would come back.

However, history is not on our side if we want a good return
  • Robin Lehner won the Jennings last year and got traded for spare parts (although that raised a lot of eyebrows).
  • Grubauer was a good young backup that Colorado picked up in the hope of getting a starter - traded WITH a cap dump for a 2nd rounder.
  • Earlier, a promising Varlamov's rights were traded by Washington for a 1st and 2nd rounder.
  • Halak for a young Eller.
But a few bright spots in the landscape:
  • Luongo (similarly big and long contract into old age) got traded for Markstrom and Shawn Matthias
  • Schneider vs 9th OA pick
I think that Montreal could get great value in a Luongo/Markstrom type swap. It also could be interesting from a contender's point of view, since Price is a known value and they would not want to take the time in developing/nurturing a young up and coming goalie. A contender/playoff team lacking an established #1 that is, like the Hurricanes for example. Montreal can then move to a 1A/1B situation, shed some salary and still get some solid starts. Add a pick or prospect into the mix and I think that's a good trade scenario.

If you want to stay away from another goalie - I assume that we'd take back a bad contract, so Price might fetch a 1st and a good prospect?

And even non-contenders would be interested I think. Look at a team like Ottawa or the Sharks. Ottawa is carrying the corpse of Craig Anderson to its limits with no replacement in sights (to my knowledge). For such a young up and coming team, bringing him a Price could help stabilize the defense a bit, and give them time to develop a young goalie. They'd also have the cap space and a lot of futures, so might offer a little more than elsewhere.

That's my take anyway. I don't think it's worth trading him now, as I'm fairly confident the returns would not match the loss unfortunately.

TLDR: A 1st and prospect from the right team. An up and coming young goalie and a pick/prospect/depth player

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wish him luck in recovering in MTL, but no ones taking him right now because of a couple post season games

He's been one of the best for the longest time and it's not going to change. NHLPA player poll keeps picking Price as the best year after year and fans like you think your opinion trumps actual players opinion. Open your eyes.... Several players commented when asked about Price... "I feel he can just bring it in big games when you need him and his numbers don't look but but that's because he's playing on a team with holes to address".

NHLPA opinion >>>>> Your opinion.

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
On HF boards yeah. In real NHL GM life? If they can fit it and they are a contender (like the Avs for example), you better give your head a shake if you think Price is not a game changer.

Francouz has outplayed Price over the last two years, and the Avs are only paying him $2M AAV.

Grubauer's numbers over the last two years are more on par with Price's, but the Avs are still only paying him $3.333M AAV.

Of course, neither goalie has the pedigree that Price does. But I highly doubt the Avs are interested in paying a $5.667-$7M premium for pedigree, when they can get similar results from guys that cost far less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad