Value of: Price (with retention down to $9M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If Price was a UFA this summer, he gets 6 years at $9M from someone. Teams that need a goalie would make room if they have too. He's that good ;)

Finding a right fit? That's more difficult due to the cap.

Negative value where the Habs are forced to retain 50% and also sell for $0.5 on the dollar? Get out of here with your propaganda

Name a team, that has prime assets, tons of salary cap and a GLARING need for goaltending? You brought up the Avs, but their goalies have yet to prove that they need an upgrade at all. Why would they gut their team for the value you seem to fit, plus add $9 mill in salary?

Fans from other teams are telling you what they would be willing to pay. You can disagree, but don't sit her and act like your opinion is the only one right. You started this thread as an "I told you so" and when your BS is being called out, you resort to acting like a child.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Name a team, that has prime assets, tons of salary cap and a GLARING need for goaltending? You brought up the Avs, but their goalies have yet to prove that they need an upgrade at all. Why would they gut their team for the value you seem to fit, plus add $9 mill in salary?

Fans from other teams are telling you what they would be willing to pay. You can disagree, but don't sit her and act like your opinion is the only one right. You started this thread as an "I told you so" and when your BS is being called out, you resort to acting like a child.

If Price was available and had a $9M AAV, the list of teams would not be zero. His NMC is the bigger issue vs you trying to say he has negative value

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I have discussed the value of Price. It's way more than you think it is. You just have a problem cause I don't agree with you narrative. The only negative to Price's contract is he is a bit overpaid. Bring his AAV down to $9M and it's very solid value. Not the same value as he had when he was 25-30 range but you and others take 33-38 as if he is age 38 for the next 6 years. Go pound sand somewhere with your Price hate. He's not falling off a cliff in performance and not many elite level goalies do in their 30's.

Guys like Price, Doughty, Toews, Kopitar, Burns, Karlsson have long term contracts and you are trying to act like they all turn into Seabrook overnight. It's total BS

Look how teams with these contracts are doing. They all have around 0 trade value. Seabrook is huge negative so there is difference.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Look how teams with these contracts are doing. They all have around 0 trade value. Seabrook is huge negative so there is difference.

Guys like Seabrook do have zero trade value cause they are no longer the players they were. But he wasn't a star like Doughty, Burns, Price, Karlsson, Toews, Kopitar, etc.

What you are saying is it's difficult to move the former stars due to salary cap. But 0 value? That's BS. If anyone of them were UFA's this summer, they would get both AAV and Term. Price as a UFA gets 6 years at $9M and it won't be just one team after him.

Stop pretending that these guys are no longer good players. They all likely play in the next Olympics! You are trying to double down on the cap space issue which is your flaw and many others in terms of their true value... if they were to be moved. They are not Seabrook, Alzner, Lucic, Ladd, etc. And they are also not 0 value. Give your head a skate, these are still very good players performing well and some of them have drops due to circumstance of the team they play on

Reactions: abo9

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Please go back and find where I, specifically me, said he has negative value. I'll wait.

Don't matter... negative value, zero value... its all the same devalue BS. Price has a lot of value if the Habs retain down to $9M. If we retain down to $7M, his value is unreal

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
It's tough selling high priced goalies when teams win cups with guys making so much less. Trust me, i know the feeling as a Ranger fan. In a cap era like this, it's just not smart to take on a goalie for that price and age. Goalies are so up and down and it's just not worth the trouble. I doubt any team loses in the playoffs this year strictly due to goaltending and even if they do, they are probably more than a Carey Price away from winning, especially with that contract. Why spend that amount on a goalie when you can spend that money on a few players? Whether it's depth or RFAs, it's better to use it in other areas. Just not a super valuable position anymore and probably the one area on the ice you don't need to be elite to win a cup.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
@TooLegitToQuit Why don't you just tell us what you think Price's value should be at $9m? Then we can all stop arguing over what his value should be and focus on your perceived value of Price vs everyone else's perceived value of Price.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Don't matter... negative value, zero value... its all the same devalue BS. Price has a lot of value if the Habs retain down to $9M. If we retain down to $7M, his value is unreal

Through all of the threads where you continually pretend he's super valuable, has anyone from another team ever expressed any interest in acquiring Price for the assets that you feel he should return?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It's tough selling high priced goalies when teams win cups with guys making so much less. Trust me, i know the feeling as a Ranger fan. In a cap era like this, it's just not smart to take on a goalie for that price and age. Goalies are so up and down and it's just not worth the trouble. I doubt any team loses in the playoffs this year strictly due to goaltending and even if they do, they are probably more than a Carey Price away from winning, especially with that contract. Why spend that amount on a goalie when you can spend that money on a few players? Whether it's depth or RFAs, it's better to use it in other areas. Just not a super valuable position anymore and probably the one area on the ice you don't need to be elite to win a cup.
DING DING DING.

On hfboards use TBL as an example. Plenty of Serge offers. Plenty of Cirelli offers. Some Killorn. An occasional T Johnson if TBL adds. You know how many Vazy offers you see of hfboards (his nmc doesn't kick in for a year)? NONE. You would think if Avs fan was worried about their G's at some point would have throw out COL 2'g, Timmons, Jost 1 for Vazy and Mcelhinney(something to that effect not trying to get right values). Avs fan could make case TBL is salary cap DOOMED DOOMED DOOMED.

Lessons learned.

1) Colorado fan base doesn't want 9m goalie and most fan bases agree.

2) Most Colorado fans believe their goalies while not elite are good enough to win the cup. As far as number 2 go lets revisit in 2 months.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
@TooLegitToQuit How am I saying he has zero value when I posted this on Page 8:

Could teams use Price? Yes. Will it be hard for teams to fit in his contract? Yes. Will teams be willing to trade assets based on his overall skill and not factor in his contract and term? No.

Tell me what is factually incorrect about my statement.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
@TooLegitToQuit How am I saying he has zero value when I posted this on Page 8:

Could teams use Price? Yes. Will it be hard for teams to fit in his contract? Yes. Will teams be willing to trade assets based on his overall skill and not factor in his contract and term? No.

Tell me what is factually incorrect about my statement.
He makes alot of assumptions without actually being said that once. We kept telling him that we believe in our goalies and team looked very good so far in the round robin. Also told him that we don’t expect both of our goalies to cost around 5M$ forever but will have to make a choice at some point when Annunen comes in. Then he goes : Everything the Avs have is gold.. or if you think your goalie will always cost 5M$ Avs fans are delusional. Also I compared the situation where Binnington came in as an unknown AHL goalie before last january that sometimes an elite goalie isn’t needed then goes : Your goalies aren’t better than Binnington lollll. Funny that he also told me : You think you win cups with 5M$ and under goalies? When the Blues just did that last year he never answered me about that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: ElPrimeTime

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Guys like Seabrook do have zero trade value cause they are no longer the players they were. But he wasn't a star like Doughty, Burns, Price, Karlsson, Toews, Kopitar, etc.

What you are saying is it's difficult to move the former stars due to salary cap. But 0 value? That's BS. If anyone of them were UFA's this summer, they would get both AAV and Term. Price as a UFA gets 6 years at $9M and it won't be just one team after him.

Stop pretending that these guys are no longer good players. They all likely play in the next Olympics! You are trying to double down on the cap space issue which is your flaw and many others in terms of their true value... if they were to be moved. They are not Seabrook, Alzner, Lucic, Ladd, etc. And they are also not 0 value. Give your head a skate, these are still very good players performing well and some of them have drops due to circumstance of the team they play on

Obviously they would get contacts as UFA, but you dont give up any assets to sign player as UFA. So now if you just offer them for free some teams would take them same way as they would sign them as UFA. That is what i mean by 0 trade value. I does not mean they are bad players. Just means that in combination with their age/contract/injury concerns they are not valuable assets.
Seabrook is huge negative value, you need to pay other team to take his contract.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
He makes alot of assumptions without actually being said that once. We kept telling him that we believe in our goalies and team looked very good so far in the round robin. Also told him that we don’t expect both of our goalies to cost around 5M$ forever but will have to make a choice at some point when Annunen comes in. Then he goes : Everything the Avs have is gold.. or if you think your goalie will always cost 5M$ Avs fans are delusional. Also I compared the situation where Binnington came in as an unknown AHL goalie before last january that sometimes an elite goalie isn’t needed then goes : Your goalies aren’t better than Binnington lollll. Funny that he also told me : You think you win cups with 5M$ and under goalies? When the Blues just did that last year he never answered me about that one :laugh:

Without getting into poster bashing, I find that to be a tendency with this one poster. In another thread, he started writing Broberg is not the next Makar over and over, when no single Edmonton fan ever made that comparison. Was super weird.

Reactions: Spilot23

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Without getting into poster bashing, I find that to be a tendency with this one poster. In another thread, he started writing Broberg is not the next Makar over and over, when no single Edmonton fan ever made that comparison. Was super weird.
Yeah I saw that. Not trying to bash him but I think sometimes you gotta read and actually understand the sentences from the other one perspective not yours because answering something you think was said and trying to make the fanbase look bad because of your perspective isn’t a good way of having discussion around here.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad